Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Stolen from Padlocked Cage in Work. Insurance?

• 11-05-2015 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Myself and a colleague had our bikes stolen from a padlocked cage that adjoins the cellar of our offices.

The thieves forced the padlock with a crowbar that they left at the scene.

We are wondering whether we have a leg to stand on in terms of an insurance claim given that they forced their way into company property to steal the bikes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

An insurance claim against ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Well it's goods stolen from company property. What if my laptop had been lifted from my desk after a break in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I guess I'd do either of the following:

1) Find out if the company has insurance against bike theft. I doubt it, my company has a secure lockup but no insurance, i guess it's hard to know what bike of a value is down there at any point in time so not easy to insure unless you list each bike and value that uses the lock up and not allow other bikes in unless listed.

2) Use you're own home insurance (assuming your bikes are listed).

otherwise it's hard luck.

ballyargus wrote: »
    Well it's goods stolen from company property. What if my laptop had been lifted from my desk after a break in?

your laptop has an IT tag, a known value and is registered with an insurer no doubt. Your bike does not (again i'm assuming you were never asked to enter in your bike details so they could list it with the insurer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

jon1981 wrote: »
    your laptop has an IT tag, a known value and is registered with an insurer no doubt. Your bike does not (again i'm assuming you were never asked to enter in your bike details so they could list it with the insurer)

Well it is a recently purchased bike on the bike to work scheme so it has a very definite value

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Simplest thing to do is ask your employer.

Your laptop is a different story as by and large they remain the property of your employer.

Well it is a recently purchased bike on the bike to work scheme so it has a very definite value

I know it has a value :)

But it doesn't mean it's insured with your companies insurance. It's your property , not the companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

As everyone else has said, speak with your employer none of us know the vagaries of their insurance policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

The concept of insurable interest would make it unlikely here, i.e. your employer cannot insure against something that would not cause them a loss. In this scenario, your bike being stolen is a loss to you, but not to them. I would also be quite surprised if there was no sign about not accepting liability for loss or damage to property parked there, as that seems to be standard fare for most car and bike parks these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Agree with above.
    There's nearly always a sign these days stating that you park at your own risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Putting up a sign doesn't absolve you of whatever you're having yourself though. Like "store credit refunds only". Your rights supercede any signs they or anyone else cares to erect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You might have a point there If you bought your bike on the BTW scheme. AFAIK your company owns the bike until you've paid for it in full. so if your still paying for it,the thieves stole "company Property". your company could claim off their insurance. BUT its up to them if they actually want to make the claim. You cant force them.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Putting up a sign doesn't absolve you of whatever you're having yourself though. Like "store credit refunds only". Your rights supercede any signs they or anyone else cares to erect

Huh?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You might have a point there If you bought your bike on the BTW scheme. AFAIK your company owns the bike until you've paid for it in full. so if your still paying for it,the thieves stole "company Property". your company could claim off their insurance. BUT its up to them if they actually want to make the claim. You cant force them.

Worth checking, the HSE states the following:
    On the basis of a signed agreement in which they accept the bicycle
    equipment and a reduced salary in the make up of their remuneration package,
    the employee owns the bicycle. Ownership will similarly transfer to the employee
    if the HSE purchases the bicycle for the employee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

And what statutory rights are there around bicycle parking as the OP was availing of? It's not a fully analogous situation, IMHO, once you consider the legal provisions/obligations of your example compared to the OP's situation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd have thought it would the same as if someone robbed a car in the company car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You have the right to park the bike else where. You agree to the T&C when parking the bike
    Store credit is different as there is specific legislation in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The response would be, why did you have a personal laptop in work. It's not their problem

Advertisement