Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo and free-kicks - anyone know his stats?

• 11-05-2015 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

Watching a Real Madrid game recently, the commentator said that Ronaldo had scored 1 goal from a direct free-kick this year.

One:eek:

Yet when he stands over a free anywhere from 20 -> 40yds out, the crowd get themselves into a fever about the impeding rocket that's going to bust the net.

Awful, awful stats. Perhaps if he let Bale or Pepe or anyone else have the odd shot from frees, Real Madrid might have actually scored a few more goals, won a few more games and won La Liga this season.

Is there any stats for the number of free-kick attempts he has had this season for this marvellous return of 1? Do Optastats do these?

There must now be as much chance of me winning the Lotto than Ronnie scoring from a free-kick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your astonishment is boring and misplaced.

Fact is, nobody scores with very many of those free kicks, so to claim astonishment at Ronaldo only scoring one this season :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: just seems like yet another attempt to criticise Ronaldo.

You know who holds the record for direct free kicks scored in the PL? Its Beckham I believe, one of the greatest free kick takers ever. And he only scored 15 of them over his entire United career.

Not even Messi scores that type of goal with any great regularity, so I guess Ronaldo will have to content himself with only scoring more than 50 ordinary goals every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm actually a Ronnie fan.

Just shocked at his lack of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There was a stat on the European Football Show with James Richardson* that said he has the most wide shots of any player in the major leagues in Europe this season. Doesn't make him a wasteful player obviously :rolleyes:
    Its a bit much the big pose and breath he does for every one of them tho....

* i'm not obliged to say 'with James Richardson' but I like saying it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Lionel Messi has two goals from freekicks this season. From 50 attempts.

Thats a shocking record.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/staff/players/messi/stats

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching a Real Madrid game recently, the commentator said that Ronaldo had scored 1 goal from a direct free-kick this year. One :eek:

Not one of his finest, that goalie was like he was shocked someone took a shot at him :pac: :pac: :pac:

q1yfonpbhvgwcsnqxgh9.gif

Still a good player mind.........Ronaldo not the keeper :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lionel Messi has two goals from freekicks this season. From 50 attempts.

Thats a shocking record.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/staff/players/messi/stats

Your astonishment is boring and misplaced.

Fact is, nobody scores with very many of those free kicks, so to claim astonishment at Messi only scoring two this season just seems like yet another attempt to criticise Messi

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Fact is, nobody scores with very many of those free kicks, so to claim astonishment at Ronaldo only scoring one this season :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: just seems like yet another attempt to criticise Ronaldo.
    Pirlo does. But I'm not astonished either, Pirlo just is way better at free kicks than Ronaldo, no breaking news there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Off topic but Depay has the most from the Top 6 leagues in Europe this season.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/597388004798369793

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Where was everyone on this thread in April when this was all over the place?

free-kick-whoscored-football_3290309.jpg?20150413195203

• Advertisement

I think the more astonishing thing with Ronaldos misses are how way off the mark they are. It's due to how much power he puts into them etc etc. But some of them just look awful

snowblind wrote: »
    Pirlo does. But I'm not astonished either, Pirlo just is way better at free kicks than Ronaldo, no breaking news there.

The greatest freekick taker in Serie A history, as of this cite in 2013.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2013/10/31/4372773/pirlo-surpasses-del-piero-in-serie-a-free-kick-ranking

Pirlo has 23 goals from free kicks over his entire career.

This article from today says Ronaldo has scored 23 goals from free kicks since 2009.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/cristiano-ronaldo-vs-lionel-messi-whoscored-stats-show-real-madrid-and-barcelona-stars-have-almost-identical-statistics-since-2009-9911305.html

The exact figure will be higher for both but they actually appear to be comparable, so why is Pirlo way better again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2013/10/31/4372773/pirlo-surpasses-del-piero-in-serie-a-free-kick-ranking

This article from today says Ronaldo has scored 23 goals from free kicks since 2009.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/cristiano-ronaldo-vs-lionel-messi-whoscored-stats-show-real-madrid-and-barcelona-stars-have-almost-identical-statistics-since-2009-9911305.html

The exact figure will be higher for both but they actually appear to be comparable, so why is Pirlo way better again?

From the above article.
    Sinisa Mihajlovic still ahead of him with 28 goals

So, Mihajlovic > Pirlo & Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

IS. He didn't score many FK's in Milan. Actually he scored 12 in 3 first seasons for Juve. And he does not get as many FK's to shoot as Ronaldo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Juninho was the best for me, 76 goals from free kicks.

GavRedKing wrote: »

His hattrick vs. Samp and this being my particular favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

GavRedKing wrote: »
    From the above article.

Mihajlovic was fantastic alright. He had the technique down long before other players started hitting the ball 'differently'. Ironically, even though he was superb at Samp, he's finest free kick moment came against them, scoring 3 in the same match for Lazio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Juninho was class.

I read somewhere that Xabi Alonso had taken 8 free kicks this season. Scored 4.
    Iirc, both Xavi and Neymar have better free kick conversion rates than Messi. Though it must be said that Messi has got a lot better at free kicks in the past few years. Not necessarily scoring from them but actually coming close or forcing keepers into good saves more frequently.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Xabi Alonso had taken 8 free kicks this season. Scored 4.

Yaya Toure got very good at taking them last year' iirc he'd score more often than he missed :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Suarez record last season was incredible, I dunno how many he got but it seemed like a lot.

• Advertisement

Leighton Baines last year scored a couple I think. Not so much this year

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Suarez record last season was incredible, I dunno how many he got but it seemed like a lot.

He scored 3 in the PL I think, don't know about cup matches.

He got three. And only five total in the 3 years before this season.

Thats the thing about freekick stats, they are completely obscured by big name glitter. Suarez's "incredible season" was three goals. In Bales last season as he tore up the PL he scored two. The impressive Toure scored four last season.

Ronaldo is not some outlier for only scoring one so far this season, he's actually just like everybody else.

Leighton Baines last year scored a couple I think. Not so much this year

Set piece king Leighton Baines has only ever scored five PL free kicks.

http://balls.ie/football/statistics-reveal-best-free-kick-takers-premier-league-history/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Where was everyone on this thread in April when this was all over the place?

free-kick-whoscored-football_3290309.jpg?20150413195203
    Sanchez has scored 3 or 4 free kicks this year

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

No he's only scored 2.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No he's only scored 2.

Hull, Stoke and Southampton if I'm not mistaken?

Edit: and the goal he scored against anderlecht where he one twoed it with the wall, doesn't count tho

Hull, Stoke and Southampton if I'm not mistaken?

Was one of those not in the league? The stats I saw only counted the PL.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Was one of those not in the league? The stats I saw only counted the PL.

I think they were all league games could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It clearly states it's league only, it's dated 13/04/15 and the stats are taken from Opta. He may well have scored in other comps and since then, but that isn't why I posted it.
    I posted it to point out that it's not exactly news that Ronaldo isn't as good at free kicks as he's made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think they were all league games could be wrong

The Saints goal was in the League Cup

I suppose fans getting excited about a free on the edge of the box is just like them getting excited about winning a corner, pointless!

So few goals result from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

I think the more astonishing thing with Ronaldos misses are how way off the mark they are. It's due to how much power he puts into them etc etc. But some of them just look awful

It doesn't really matter if it ends up leaving the stadium or if it goes out off the post though. A miss is still a miss.

CR 7 wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter if it ends up leaving the stadium or if it goes out off the post though. A miss is still a miss.

Yes it does. It matters a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Fabio Aurelios free kicks will always have a special place in my heart but Junihno was a fúckin force altoghether!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

TBH, they all pale in comparison to Rogerio Ceni

Over 60 free kick goals and over 60 penalties for Sao Paulo

Just watching that goal from the keeper got me thinking about technique.

That keeper actually bent the ball into a spot in the net. Everytime I watch Ronaldo take a free he seems to hit it as hard as he can in a straight line.

Seems to have little to no variation in his technique.

Yes it does. It matters a lot.

How though? Both are wasted chances, the only difference is how aesthetically pleasing the miss is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

How though? Both are wasted chances, the only difference is how aesthetically pleasing the miss is.

Well if one hits the post or the keeper, someone could have a chance of a rebound. If it ends up in the premium level, not so much...

fullstop wrote: »
    Well if one hits the post or the keeper, someone could have a chance of a rebound. If it ends up in the premium level, not so much...

Well yeah, that's obvious, which was why I compared
    leaving the stadium or ... goes out off the post...
    It doesn't matter if you miss by an inch or a mile. Missing's missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ian harte was quite good at free kicks

Well yeah, that's obvious, which was why I compared It doesn't matter if you miss by an inch or a mile. Missing's missing.

It does though, the chances of conversion will be a lot higher for a person hitting the post than a person hitting Row Z.

Person A, 10 frees, 7 off the post 3 saves my keeper
    Person B, 10 frees, 6 Row Z, 4 saves

Who do you want to take it?

And now we are into goals scored from rebounds off the post from a freekick. Oh I'd just love to see the stats on that one! :pac:

Tell us all about how big a liability Ronaldo is because there are less rebounds from his freekicks than anybody elses?

And now we are into goals scored from rebounds off the post from a freekick. Oh I'd just love to see the stats on that one! :pac:

Tell us all about how big a liability Ronaldo is because there are less rebounds from his freekicks than anybody elses?

We're not specifically talking about Ronaldo. But in general Free Kick takers. Calm your jets.

We're not specifically talking about Ronaldo. But in general Free Kick takers. Calm your jets.

Come on, lets see those stats.

We are getting 2/3 free kicks scored a year from the worlds best players, lets hear how many goals are scored from rebounds off the post or keeper after a free kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Let's be real. He's absolutely gash at free kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ian harte was quite good at free kicks

And indeed so were Denis Irwin and Stan Staunton before him

Good times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

And indeed so were Denis Irwin and Stan Staunton before him

Good times!!

Robbie Brady has a good free kick in his locker aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Pierre van Hooijdonk was rather good with free kicks....

During his 3 years at Feyenoord he had 54 attempts and scored 18.
    Yeah yeah, dutch league, i hear you say. 6 of them were in the UEFA cup 2001/2002 tournament which Feyenoord won

There are players who can get 1 in 3 from the penalty spot.

Ronald Koeman was quite good at it as well but his stats are slightly skewed because at Barcelona he always hit his first free kick of the match as hard as he could in the wall (or so the story goes) With Romario and Stoichkov he was sure of getting a few chances per match any way.

Surely the League is mostly irrelevant?

Guys still form walls and keepers still try their best to stop the shots, so I'm going with big Pierre being better than Ronnie or Messi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement