Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish EV Owners Group

• 11-05-2015 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

I'd like to encourage people to join the Irish EV Owners Group.

The decision was made at the last meeting to set up a formal membership.
    There are also regular events and meet-ups held and of course the Photo Rally!

For the Facebook-phobic (like myself) they now have a dedicated forum.

http://www.irishevowners.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

cros13 wrote: »
    I'd like to encourage people to join the Irish EV Owners Group.

The decision was made at the last meeting to set up a formal membership.
    There are also regular events and meet-ups held and of course the Photo Rally!

For the Facebook-phobic (like myself) they now have a dedicated forum.

http://www.irishevowners.ie/

Check back with Mad Lad, why he and I had to leave the "Leafy Valley Country Club",a cold place for non Leaf owners, although since then he may be Leaf Lad?

reboot wrote: »
    Check back with Mad Lad, why he and I had to leave the "Leafy Valley Country Club",a cold place for non Leaf owners, although since then he may be Leaf Lad?

Even as a Leaf owner I know the leaf isn't perfect and the battery won't last forever. And they don't like that on irishevowners, not on the FB group anyway.

Oh and fast charging the battery to the point it roasts won't have an impact as well seemingly! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Even as a Leaf owner I know the leaf isn't perfect and the battery won't last forever. And they don't like that on irishevowners, not on the FB group anyway.

Oh and fast charging the battery to the point it roasts won't have an impact as well seemingly! LOL

Top Man as usual,u2.
    Here we go again,the model T Ford wasn't perfect either,but its all there was at the time.
    The Renault Zoe is at best bordering on boring looking and the Leaf slightly more ugly. Such disappointing design, when the technology is so far ahead of those funny cars that make a big noise, and smoke comes out the back. BMW i8 a 100k Turkey, and the Two ton Tesla, just that.
    StilI I digress, back to the call above for the evangelical spread of the other place.
    I fear the virus will spread to Boards and is unstoppable.Having been to the days out and meetings, its not for me , and if it comes upon us soon, as they are invited in the front door,(they have always been here of course on Boards), I shall have to exit by the back.
    Facebook, compared to the Boards Threads, would drive one mad, is all over the place, full of opinions, not based on any kind of engineering data, and vitriolic about any other vehicle than the one we all bought and won't here a bad word about, as you point out.
    In this case its not "better to light a candle, than curse the darkness" somebody will come along soon with a lithium torch.?
    Too much esoteric ramblings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Does anyone else think an owners group is like a nail in the coffin of a failed vehicle?

When I hear of car owners groups, I think of vintage cars. Deloreans, saabs, beetles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I've enjoyed reading your posts on Boards.ie over the years Mad Lad. I generally find myself in agreement with you. In fairness to the Irish EV Owners group, you joined for a day or two and posted very little except for a link to a different forum which the mods there openly said they had no objection to... and also a short rant against EV thread spoilers on Boards.ie :confused:

Irish EV Owners is very welcoming to owners of any kind of EV. Also REX, PHEV, regular hybrid and anyone that simply has an interest in alternatives to ICE vehicles.

Speaking for myself personally I've had a Mark 1 Leaf since April 21st 2011. I think it's a great car, but I don't hold any views you attribute to the entire Irish EV Owners group. It's a small world and an even smaller EV community, please don't tarnish us all with the same brush.

• Advertisement

reboot wrote: »

I'm not a member of the Irish EV Owners Association, I do however think it is starting to look like a 'Leaf only' club. Fair enough that the Leaf is the most popular EV in Ireland by far. I own a mark 1 Leaf myself. But holding their AGM at Nissan Ireland HQ without considering an alternative venue was a little short sighted IMO.

The Irish EV Owners group on Facebook though is a little different and these days seems to distance itself from activism and associating with any company or organisation.

I would be interested in hearing your reasons though? Maybe those reasons don't exist anymore?

In fairness to the Irish EV Owners group, you joined for a day or two and posted very little except for a link to a different forum which the mods there openly said they had no objection to... and also a short rant against EV thread spoilers on Boards.ie :confused:

I'm not talking about the forum, I'm talking about the Facebook Group, however I've recently learned they're no longer linked ?
    Irish EV Owners is very welcoming to owners of any kind of EV. Also REX, PHEV, regular hybrid and anyone that simply has an interest in alternatives to ICE vehicles.

I may return to the actual forum but to be honest I post a lot here so I really don't have all day to be posting. :)

I feel if I have anything to contribute then here on boards is the best place to do it in the chances I might convert those who have not yet purchased and EV where as posting on an EV owners forum, people are more likely to have an ev already. (and boards has much more traffic currently)
    Speaking for myself personally I've had a Mark 1 Leaf since April 21st 2011. I think it's a great car, but I don't hold any views you attribute to the entire Irish EV Owners group. It's a small world and an even smaller EV community, please don't tarnish us all with the same brush.

I love the MK 1.5 even though they've reduced the torque and retarded the power delivery on take off it's still a lot of fun once you're moving.

I can't see myself going back to petrol or diesel again and I can't wait for the MK II or GM/Opel Bolt.

Detroit is getting serious about electrics which will no doubt make other car manufacturers follow.

It's a shame Nissan have absolutely 0 plans to make another EV, an electric X-Trail with 4 wheel drive and about 200-300 HP would be pretty cool and far better than the measly 1.6 diesel they have in the current one. Ridiculous !

Nissan need to broaden the EV range, not just concentrate on plug ins, plug ins with their tiny batteries will only force people to use the public charge points much more and especially if more plug ins that are fast charge capable have a fast charge port like the Outlander PHEV.

The PHEV owner can continue on the engine the full EV can't so I don;t think PHEV's should be allowed to use the fast chargers, that's my opinion because even though they have much smaller batteries they take as long to fast charge because of their size the charge rate has to be greatly reduced.

I'm not talking about the forum, I'm talking about the Facebook Group, however I've recently learned they're no longer linked ?

I may return to the actual forum but to be honest I post a lot here so I really don't have all day to be posting. :)

I feel if I have anything to contribute then here on boards is the best place to do it in the chances I might convert those who have not yet purchased and EV where as posting on an EV owners forum, people are more likely to have an ev already. (and boards has much more traffic currently)

I love the MK 1.5 even though they've reduced the torque and retarded the power delivery on take off it's still a lot of fun once you're moving.

I can't see myself going back to petrol or diesel again and I can't wait for the MK II or GM/Opel Bolt.

Detroit is getting serious about electrics which will no doubt make other car manufacturers follow.

It's a shame Nissan have absolutely 0 plans to make another EV, an electric X-Trail with 4 wheel drive and about 200-300 HP would be pretty cool and far better than the measly 1.6 diesel they have in the current one. Ridiculous !

Nissan need to broaden the EV range, not just concentrate on plug ins, plug ins with their tiny batteries will only force people to use the public charge points much more and especially if more plug ins that are fast charge capable have a fast charge port like the Outlander PHEV.

The PHEV owner can continue on the engine the full EV can't so I don;t think PHEV's should be allowed to use the fast chargers, that's my opinion because even though they have much smaller batteries they take as long to fast charge because of their size the charge rate has to be greatly reduced.

I think you are correct. The Facebook group continues to be known as 'Irish EV Owners'. The website now appears to be called the 'Irish EV Owners Association'. The association are those members who had their AGM at Nissan Ireland HQ. I wish both groups well, but I think the split is silly.

Small time club forums I feel are a waste of time. Facebook is far too convenient and Boards.ie already has many times more traffic than any club forum could have. I also would prefer to post here than post on a specific websites forum. I might just start posting here a bit more again :) I do miss those conversations on how my EV battery would literally 'explode' :pac:

I also agree with you on PHEV vehicles and Nissan. I can easily see myself keeping my Leaf (currently and since I got it the only car I have) and adding an Outlander PHEV. It all depends on whether Nissan gets serious (Tesla type serious) about a longer range EV's for people like myself. Unfortunately I have to admit that while my Mark 1 Leaf is an extremely well built car and I love it to bits, the infrastructure hasn't been as reliable as I hoped or expanded as quickly as I hoped.

Also take your point on the battery size. There are tables online showing minuscule degradation on Model S battery packs compared to Leafs with similar mileage. Size does matter when you're fast charging! I'd like to see a choice of more interesting vehicles from all the manufacturers. PHEV & larger battery pack options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Well technically my i3 is a PHEV... but the engine is not actually meant to be used on a frequent basis, it's a backup only and requires servicing every 3000km of operation. There's a big difference between a parallel PHEV and a series PHEV.

Well technically my i3 is a PHEV... but the engine is not actually meant to be used on a frequent basis, it's a backup only and requires servicing every 3000km of operation. There's a big difference between a parallel PHEV and a series PHEV.

I'm not really against the I3 using the public fast charge infrastructure because it's got much longer EV range then the Outlander PHEV.

I'm not against PHEV using the fast chargers as such, what I would like to see is a minimum battery size before they are even allowed to have a fast charge port, a minimum of 27-30 Kwh would be a lot better than 12 (probably 10 usable) for the Outlander because the outlander will get a lot less Kms per kwh than the I3/leaf.

The Outlander can also recharge the battery on the fly from the generator !

• Advertisement
Advertisement