Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All types of Everything Training Log

• 11-05-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi

Firstly about myself, i commute to work, leave home at 7 and back home at 7 type of guy, and tend to do my running at night time which makes my running haphazrd at best.

I am not a morning person so i do find running early tough especially at weekends

my running history is simple, took up running 4 years ago after a 20 year break and tried to run a marathon before i hit the big 40, and failed, due to injuries. Got the cork marathon done by the time i was 41, but was not a great run, but learned from it and ran a pb of 3:36 in my next one, i ran a third in Dublin, and ran a solid race, but training was hampered by an injury.

my 5k pb is 19m
    6k is 22:54
    10k 41:54
    10m 68m
    hm 91
    Full 3:26

my aim for this year is sub 90 for Half
    Sub 3:30 for full

get close to sub 40 for 10k

my training is normally as follows

Tuesday : run around a GAA pitch when kids are playing football, varies from 6 to 10K with speed work
    Wednesday rest or 5m
    thursdsy club session whick is in the local woods which involves hill speedwork
    Friday: rest
    and Long Run over the week at present varies betwee 12 and 14 miles

Will stick with this mileage until marathon training
    I do not tend to follow plans to the full as i do what i can do, if i am tired i tend to just do the miles and get it done with, with family life and commuting it can be difficult to get it done, but once i get 3 runs in of some sort during the week and one long run i am happy.
    my peak marathon training is 40 to 50 miles at most
    Would love to do more but it is unlikely

Next race is the Cork half marathon where i will go with the 90 minute pacers and then see how it goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭unirunner2

Long run yesterday 12.5 miles
    With 3 miles from mile 5 to 8 at tempo pace, average 7mpm, first mile of tempo was 6:50.

Average mpm for run was 8mpm total time was 1:40.
    Solid run.

Hi

A fairly solid session at football trainin, its great that i can bring the kids to football and run around the pitches

their are 2 pitches , lenghtwise, a lap around the 2 pitches is nearly .5mile

I did 6 miles last night with a 1.5 mile warm up and then a speed session of approx 25 minutes.
    Speed session consisted of a lenght of a pitch followed by a cool down of another lenght and so on approx. fairly happy with the session.
    its is sometimes hard to do speed sessions at football training especially if their is a lot of parent and kids around. and depending on where the training is taking place.
    but thankfully last night the football training was in good positions for me.
    will see later, but will hope to do 5 miles and club session tomorrow

Had a bust enough day at work yesterday and by the time i got home i was tired enough , toyed with the idea of just taking a rest. but in the end went out and did 5 miles at an easy pace, left the gps watch at home and just went with feal. did it in around 40 minutes.
    Nice run, and listened to REM
    Nex up hopefully the club training session this evening

Very happy with the club session tonight, a nice run from gaa pitch to woods, some stretches and then the tough session began
    25 minutes cnsisting of 400 metre fast , then 100 metre cool down and then 400 metre and so on for 25 minutes. Was tough but felt more comfortable as i went on
    Great session with a great club.
    Rest tomorrow and long run of 12 miles over weekend. May do a 5k race on sunday as a slow one also...happy running

After a good week of running last week, i woke up at 3am on saturday morning with a sore throat and felt like i hit a train so not great on saturday and just slightly better on Sunday. Not too bad today, but probably wont be able to go for a run due to work and then family reasons..

so a missed log run, disappointing , but these things happen, it may mean i wont get under 90 in cork in two weeks, but sure who knows.
    hopefully a 10k run tomorrow, 7 miles on Wednesday and club session on thursday and then hm long run on saturday,

i watched the london marathon last night as i had it recorded on SkyPlus.
    A great race and finish to both races, and watching paula ratcliffe stroll to a 2h36 minutes in her final marathon was great.

• Advertisement

Did my first run since thursday last night at when my two eldest were at GAA, was happto get 10k done around the pitches, i was thinking of just taking it easy since their was a gale force wind blowing, but in the end did 20 minutes with lenght of pitch sprints and then cool of lenght of pitch followed by another sprint etc
    was happy enough.
    Hope to do 5 tonight and club session tomorrow and 13 at weekend

Did 5 miles last night, felt a bit tired, but got it done in 39 minutes, wasnt planning a sub 40, but an easy one, when i run tired i tend to find it easier to run a bit faster than planned

next up club session tonight

Hi
    Did the club session last night, it consisted of stretching and then a 10 minutes of 10min sprints and then we had a race around the woods, which is around .9 of a miles, the first bit is fairly tough up hil, but then a few downhills followed by a small hill and then downhill all the way to the finish.
    i did it in 5:14 which i was happy with, i did start off tired and felt as if i had no energy, but got it done, we did the same route a moth ago and i think i did it at least 20 seconds faster this time around.
    then just for some more fun, we did 8 minutes of hill work.
    good session all round, although i am very tired today
    rest today and long slow run of hm over the weekend and then easy runs next week before the cork half

Hi

Did my long run on Saturday and thankfully the weather was cool and cloudy, as it was hottish on Saturday morning

I did struggle both with body and mind as regards going for the long run, i was stiff and tired but wanted to get the long run over with so i could relax and work in the garden on Sunday
    First 4 miles were a stuggle and even felt hungry pains after 3, thankfully i brought a banana and that banished it for sure.
    the rest of the run was fine, 14 in total in 2h
    the probable i am getting at the moment though that is worrying is the tiredness a few hours later, i am not recovering as good as i used to. i was fine though on Sunday

will be taking it easy this week, run on Tuesday , thursday and a small run probably on Sunday

ON tuesday did 6 miles around the gaa fields and did 20 minutes of speed work, not too bad, was a bit tired. and on thursday did club session which consisted of speedwork in the forrest it consisted of starting off with a 100m speed then 100 slow , then 200 speed then 100m slow then 300m speed and 100 m slow and so on, got up to 800 metres,
    good session

One small run tomorrow and then cork half on Monday. weather doesn't look great but sure we cant do anything about it

• Advertisement

The race report from the cork half marathon is as follows
    I called down to watch the start of the marathon and it was great to see it start off and great crowds watching it too, it was dry at that stage, but once it started, so did the rain. i waited for a number of them to pass patricks bridge before i headed home for my preparations for my own race

Once i got ready i headed out at 10:10am and got to the start line for around 10:30, most people were under the garage waiting for the call. I bumped into two buddies before i headed to my spot. Unfortunately i couldn't spot the 90 minutes pacers and went to where i though they maybe, however it was not until near the start before i spotted the blue balloon up front and it was too late. i wasnt too worried though as i thought i would be able to catch up, however the start as very congested and it was hard to get your running legs, by the time i reached mile 1 it was 6:45 on the watch and i felt ok, but i was trying probably too hard to catch the pacers
    I eventually caught up with them after around 3 miles and stuck with them until the link road where with the strong wind and rain i struggled a bit and they speed off, i wasn't too far behind them though.
    I reached mile 5 in 34:20 which was ok, 10k mark in around 42:10 which is not too far off my 10kk pb, but from mile 7 to 10 it was fairly tough, a few pulls and strong wind and rain made it tough, i was running ok, but anytime i looked at my watch it was 7:30 pace or worse, reached mile 10 in just over 70 minutes. getting under 90 minutes was long gone.

I still thought i could PB, however my energy levels were not as good as i expected, mile 11 and 12 roughly 7mpm and last mile in 6:44, not too bad, but should have been better
    finished in 92:04 and was as wet and as cold as i could be, drenched to th bone as they say.
    Was happy with my time, as good as i could get on such a bad day, i did enjoy it though but would have preferred no wind with a small bit of rain!!!

Hi

Did a nice easy 5 mile run last night, first one since Monday and used a heart rate monitor for it, 140 was average. must work out how to use it and what the rate should be, from a bit of quick research my heart rate should be around 181 at max

happy enough with run rest today, maybe a run at lunchtime tomorrow

Another 5 easy miles last night, i took the easy option of running from home into town and back again, its a horrible road, has defintately been the cause of a few of my injuries in the past as it is a real country road with a slight slope on the edge of it!! but sometimes when you spend your life driving into town you just dont want to do it again

felt ok running it last night, took it easy, 5 miles in around 40minutes.
    plan to do 10 over the weekend

Hi

I went for my long run on Saturday in a gale force wind, i had a busy morning and then spent two hours collecting money for the running club in supervalue and it was cold, but i went for my run after and decided in the end to run out to a local park and do 3 laps of a 2 mile circuit and run back to town, in total it was 13.5 miles

I used a heart rate monitor and averaged at 149, i am not sure what my max heart is , but according to rough estimates, it should be 181

I did it in 1h 54 minutes, so was happy with that

did 35 minutes recovery run at lunchtime today also

Hi

I had a busy weekend, so decided to do my long run around a gaa pitch while my eldestdid his training, i ended up doing 10. boring as hell, but miles on the legs nonetheless.

i did approx 5 miles at lunchtime with 5 k of that a run on the 5k course for the race tomorrow night.
    Did 5 miles around the gaa pitch again last night and struggle, long day at work and was tired, i sweating very badly, but it was hot,

Race tomorrow, looking forward to it somewhat. not a big fam of 5k, but it will test how i am doing. aiming for sub 19:30, b target is sub 20

Hi

i am getting a bit patchy about updating this, but my running is going great at the moment.

Did a nice slow run last monday around the docklands route and did 10k around gaa pitch on tuesday and did the docklands 5 k on thursday.
    Did a 2k warm up approx and for the start of the race went with the 20minute pacers, but after 1k i went ahead, felt strong through and finished in 18:50, at one stage i though with a km to go that i was going to go sub 18, but i realised after that i misread my watch
    I averaged 3:35 per Km, equating to 6:05 per mile, which is as quick as i will ever go. I do feal i probably could keep that up for 5 miles, so hopefully this weekend 5 mile race in Dublins pheonix park will be another test, hopefully be able to get around in 32 something

hada relaxing weekend in a poss hotel over and ran home yesterday, which wasnt a good idea, as i ended up doing 13, felt tired last night and today, but did 4miles at lunch time and now feal fine!

Have been lazy posted to this for the last couple of weeks so this will be quick

since last post i have ran a few races, a 5 mile race in 32;26, a half marathon in 1:30:56 and a 5k race last night in 19:08

and in all my finishing has been poor, my stamina and finishing strenghts seems to be poor at the moment. it is something i need to work on.

on the 5k last night my plan was to keep close to a person that normally would be 20 seconds quicker than me on a 5k, but i went out a bit too quick and struggled for the second half. last 2k were 4:04 and 3:52 per km. first one was 3:32. happy enough with the time though

signed up for Dublin also

Went for me long run on Saturday with the plan of getting 2:20 on the legs.

Went with no gps watch, just a heart rate monitor and i got 2:25 on the legs, with a tough finish around a woods which had a few toughish hills

felt this is a good idea as my big problem last year in Dublin was the hill at mle 21 which killed me!

i felt strong on Saturday , so will try and do that after each long run.

not sure how many miles will do same route next weekend with a gps. wreckon it was 16 or maybe 17

Its been a while

Got my pb of 3:25 in dublin, got a 1:30:30 in a half

Got a pb of 41:47 ina 10 k

Aim this year is to get under 40

Advertisement