Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem in digs accommodation

Options
  • 11-05-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Yo!

I'm renting a room in a family home and am currently in the middle of the exam period in a third level institution.

The home owners are throwing a party inviting a lot of their own friends a couple days before the exams begin, knowing well my situation.

What are my options legally? Get the Students Union involved? Small Claims Court? What ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IWJ

Forgot to add that they are asking me to seek alternative accommodation for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IWJ wrote: »
    What are my options legally? Get the Students Union involved? Small Claims Court? What ye think?

Get over it. Find somewhere else to stay for the night, and take ya books with you. It's only one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Tell them that's not what you arranged but if they want you to seek alternative accommodation, they can cover the costs. Would that put you out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

If they'll pay for the night in the hotel for you, no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Forgot to add that they are asking me to seek alternative accommodation for the night.

This is the only bit you can act on. The rest is part and parcel of living with people. If you're already paying for accommodation and they're breaking the agreement by telling you you can't stay a particular night then you will want to get some kind of money back for that which you've already given or some costs covered for alternate accommodation for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Chloris wrote: »
    That's hardly constructive.

Original content deleted as a mod clearly disagrees with me

Get over it. Find somewhere else to stay for the night, and take ya books with you. It's only one night.

Is that you Mr. ****?
    Chloris wrote: »
    Tell them that's not what you arranged but if they want you to seek alternative accommodation, they can cover the costs. Would that put you out?

I don't think they will cover the costs.
    This is the only bit you can act on. The rest is part and parcel of living with people. If you're already paying for accommodation and they're breaking the agreement by telling you you can't stay a particular night then you will want to get some kind of money back for that which you've already given or some costs covered for alternate accommodation for the night.

Ya I think the fairest way out is for them to put me up somewhere for the night. Which, out of principle, I shouldn't have to in the first place. Its not that I can't stay- I can. But if I do I won't get any study done at night and mess up my entire sleeping pattern for the exams the week after.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Original content deleted as a mod clearly disagrees with me

Moderator note:

None of your posts on this thread have been deleted by moderators (thus far).

If you have an issue with a moderator's instruction- this is not an appropriate venue to air it.

Please do not post on this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Essentially you have two choices head out for the night .
    Or kick up a fuss a demand they accomadate you and pay you to Stay somewhere else for the night .

Is this officially college sourced accommodation or you found yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

It is completely unreasonable of them to expect you to sleep elsewhere during your exam period. It's a stressful time, which should be obvious to anyone hosting students (and taking their money for it).

However, for the sake of saving further stress during what's already an awkward time? I suggest you tell them, politely, that you're happy to facilitate their request and will of course stay elsewhere. For example, in a decent B&B convenient to the college-- providing it's at their expense, naturally.

You've paid for the accommodation; they can't just tell you to get lost for the night without offering to compensate you. I can't believe someone would sign up to provide digs and then throw a huge party during the exams, and ask the student to make themselves scarce for the night. They sound very thoughtless to me. Good luck with the exams and your situation.

• Advertisement

Just to be a tad bit clearer, they haven't asked me to leave for the night but if I stay, I will fail to get study done and ruin my sleeping pattern for the exams. Therefore, staying is not an option.

However, when I brought up the whole matter to them, it is then that they asked me to stay elsewhere for the night.

They know I've been putting in the hours for weeks prior to the exams, and they know how important they are for em.

Any thoughts?

Gatling wrote: »
    Essentially you have two choices head out for the night .
    Or kick up a fuss a demand they accomadate you and pay you to Stay somewhere else for the night .
    Is this officially college sourced accommodation or you found yourself

I won't be heading out. Out of the question. They placed an ad for the room in the college accommodation office.
    DivingDuck wrote: »
    It is completely unreasonable of them to expect you to sleep elsewhere during your exam period. It's a stressful time, which should be obvious to anyone hosting students (and taking their money for it).

However, for the sake of saving further stress during what's already an awkward time? I suggest you tell them, politely, that you're happy to facilitate their request and will of course stay elsewhere. For example, in a decent B&B convenient to the college-- providing it's at their expense, naturally.

You've paid for the accommodation; they can't just tell you to get lost for the night without offering to compensate you. I can't believe someone would sign up to provide digs and then throw a huge party during the exams, and ask the student to make themselves scarce for the night. They sound very thoughtless to me. Good luck with the exams and your situation.

Yup I think the same. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Ya I think the fairest way out is for them to put me up somewhere for the night. Which, out of principle, I shouldn't have to in the first place. Its not that I can't stay- I can. But if I do I won't get any study done at night and mess up my entire sleeping pattern for the exams the week after.

Could you stay with a classmate that night? I can't see them paying when you do have the option to stay (in that they are not giving your room to some else). Is going home an option?

Legally, I doubt you have much to go on. You are leasing a room in their house and unless it is part of the lease that they will not host parties at exam times I doubt there is anything that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

is the party on a week night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

IWJ - here is the crux of the issue.

You are a lodger, you have zero tenancy rights in this situation. They can ask you to pack up and leave immediately, which imo will be more stressful in the run up to exams.

Some facts are now required.

Are you a full time lodger (7 days a week)
    Is this party at the weekend?
    Do they often have parties?

Miaireland wrote: »
    Could you stay with a classmate that night? I can't see them paying when you do have the option to stay (in that they are not giving your room to some else). Is going home an option?

Legally, I doubt you have much to go on. You are leasing a room in their house and unless it is part of the lease that they will not host parties at exam times I doubt there is anything that can be done.

Look, staying at a friend's place or going home are definitely two options available to me. But do you think that out of principle, I should have to waste time and money to go out of my way to lodge elsewhere?

Also, under the licensee agreement drawn up by the home owner, they have put restrictions on level of music after 11pm. Does this apply to them also I wonder?
    IWJ - here is the crux of the issue.

You are a lodger, you have zero tenancy rights in this situation. They can ask you to pack up and leave immediately, which imo will be more stressful in the run up to exams.

Some facts are now required.

Are you a full time lodger (7 days a week)
    Is this party at the weekend?
    Do they often have parties?

No that's incorrect. Although I don't have many rights in this situation, they cannot ask me to pack up and leave immediately. They have to give me reasonable notice- which is two weeks as stated in the licensee agreement.

Yes I am a full time lodger and have been for many months now. This house party is on Saturday night until Sunday morning. My exams begin Monday morning. And no they do not have parties often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

They havent asked you to pack up and leave though.

Could you not invest in a pair of ear plugs for the night? Or take a break from study and join the party for a while? You seem like you could do with it tbh

Look, staying at a friend's place or going home are definitely two options available to me. But do you think that out of principle, I should have to waste time and money to go out of my way to lodge elsewhere?

Also, under the licensee agreement drawn up by the home owner, they have put restrictions on level of music after 11pm. Does this apply to them also I wonder?

No that's incorrect. Although I don't have many rights in this situation, they cannot ask me to pack up and leave immediately. They have to give me reasonable notice- which is two weeks as stated in the licensee agreement.

Yes I am a full time lodger and have been for many months now. This house party is on Saturday night until Sunday morning. My exams begin Monday morning. And no they do not have parties often.

Oh I love it when an owner occupier shoots themselves in the foot!
    There is a reason that 'reasonable' is not defined in law. If your licence agreement states that, then so be it, but that's extremely uncommon and would still land you in a stressful situation if you had to find new accommodation during exams.

Remember this is their home, you cannot dictate to them what they can and cannot do. A party on a Saturday night is not unreasonable and they have given you notice. If you do not wish to stay then so be it but it is not up to them to accommodate you just because you have exams. Also, downtime is extremely important - study all day. Take the night off - resume studies on the Sunday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do you usually stay there on the weekends?

jonny666 wrote: »
    They havent asked you to pack up and leave though.

Could you not invest in a pair of ear plugs for the night? Or take a break from study and join the party for a while? You seem like you could do with it tbh

Nope, they haven't directly asked me to pack up. But this is the only alternative to being kept awake until 3/4/5 am Sunday morning.

I already use wax ear plugs when sleeping, but they won't keep out the loud music! :P
    Oh I love it when an owner occupier shoots themselves in the foot!
    There is a reason that 'reasonable' is not defined in law. If your licence agreement states that, then so be it, but that's extremely uncommon and would still land you in a stressful situation if you had to find new accommodation during exams.

Remember this is their home, you cannot dictate to them what they can and cannot do. A party on a Saturday night is not unreasonable and they have given you notice. If you do not wish to stay then so be it but it is not up to them to accommodate you just because you have exams. Also, downtime is extremely important - study all day. Take the night off - resume studies on the Sunday.

Firstly, if they gave me notice to leave today, I'll be finished exams in just under two weeks from now so that wouldn't be a problem.

Secondly, I fully realize that this is their home and that they should be able to do whatever they want. Accordingly, throwing the odd party here and there on any given night is reasonable- it is their place after-all! But this isn't the point. My point is that they should have the decency to not expect me to to stay somewhere else for the night given that:

I'm in the middle of my exam period and don't have time to waste, and
    I'm a broke student.

However, if they do expect me to spent time and money on staying somewhere else, knowing full well all the effort I've put in preparing for the exams, they should at least cover the costs.

Folks, I'm on here asking what legal options are available to me in the case that they refuse to pay any part of my lodgings elsewhere given the situation?

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Do you usually stay there on the weekends?

Yes.

However, even if I didn't, I'm still paying for the full week and they should be considerate two days before the exams.

Mod Note
    Legal advice is not permitted under the charter.
    You can't ask for it, and if someone provides it they will receive an infraction.

Just a little more info.:

They specifically had this accommodation advertised for students in my college accommodation office, knowing full well that students have exams around this time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nope, they haven't directly asked me to pack up. But this is the only alternative to being kept awake until 3/4/5 am Sunday morning.

I already use wax ear plugs when sleeping, but they won't keep out the loud music! :P

Firstly, if they gave me notice to leave today, I'll be finished exams in just under two weeks from now so that wouldn't be a problem.

Secondly, I fully realize that this is their home and that they should be able to do whatever they want. Accordingly, throwing the odd party here and there on any given night is reasonable- it is their place after-all! But this isn't the point. My point is that they should have the decency to not expect me to to stay somewhere else for the night given that:

I'm in the middle of my exam period and don't have time to waste, and
    I'm a broke student.

However, if they do expect me to spent time and money on staying somewhere else, knowing full well all the effort I've put in preparing for the exams, they should at least cover the costs.

Folks, I'm on here asking what legal options are available to me in the case that they refuse to pay any part of my lodgings elsewhere given the situation?

Did you bring up the party with them in terms of it affecting your study and it was then they asked you to stay elsewhere?

I don't think they are unreasonable having the party ttbh and if you approached them in the context of the difficulties it would cause you I can see why they'd ask you to stay else where

And how do you know it will be loud and go on until5am?

IWJ
    You not wanting to stay because of your exams is not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Don't know what the legal options are, but for your own sake, borrow money from your parents and stay in a quiet B&B - it's best in the long term.

Regardless of the legality, I think what they are doing is utterly shameful. They are presenting themselves as suitable accommodation for a student, taking the money for it, then having parties during the most crucial time of the year.

I would just cut my losses and stay away for the night, but I would be damned sure I would report them to the college accommodation office who hopefully will not allow them to advertise through them ever again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How many people are invited to the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

You're allowed to be annoyed by it but essentially you have no recourse - it's their house and the circumstances of you living there means there's nothing you can do. Could they be a bit more understanding of your needs around exam time? Sure. Do they have to be? No.

I would also near guarantee that if you asked for help from the accommodation office they'd wash their hands of it. Perhaps mention for future reference that you've encountered some problems so that they don't let them advertise next year. This is one of those things you're going to have to push through - look forward to your Summer and concentrate on getting your exams out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Honestly I think your just gonna have to suck it up...Appreciate your probably stressed for your exams and if one night of staying up late is going to affect you that much you're just going to have to stay somewhere else.

By all means report them if you wish but I would highly doubt anything would come from this. They haven't told you "hey we're having people round Saturday so take a hike". You're making the decision that you have to leave.

As said above you could study during the day have a couple drinks that night and hit the hay about 2/3 am? Its not overly late still get a good 7 hours sleep and wake a 10 at the latest to study Sunday.

To me, you're making a mountain out of a mo-hill and you seem overly stressed as it is..take a night and unwind

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate all of yer input!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement