Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem in digs accommodation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IWJ wrote: »

Folks, I'm on here asking what legal options are available to me in the case that they refuse to pay any part of my lodgings elsewhere given the situation?

There's none and you really shouldn't waste your time trying to think about it or persunne it. Do your studies and take a night off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm part of the study during the day, take the night off- and last revision the following day, brigade.

You seriously do not want to be studying late into the night on the Saturday- if you have your exams on the Monday.

They weren't under any obligation to give you a licensee agreement where they'd have to give you 2 weeks notice. This is a right that you are not necessarily entitled to, under the 2004 Act.

At this stage- personally I think their timing stinks- but you need a good night's sleep. Even booking into Jurys or the Harbour Hotel for the night- might be an option?

You need a good night's sleep- and as little stress as possible. The party is going ahead- so how can you make the most of the situation- and have a reasonable night, and possibly treat yourself?

If I were in your position- I would suggest gently to them that you would appreciate if they paid for the night- given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you probably dont have a leg to stand on in a legal sense but your landlord is behaving very unprofessional in my eyes. i wouldnt be taking the room again after this semester. best of luck in the exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 autumnrain

Sounds like this is a once off, though with poor timing. Is it a special birthday/anniversary or something that has set this date?
    If you were in a flat share parties would be far more frequent I'd say and probably through the weekend before exams too.
    So let it go. You could mess up an exam cause you so focused on how you're being wronged. It's exhausting and not worth it. Put the energy into study and chalk it down to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

OP, this is just one of those frustrations life will throw at you time and again. You need to not "catastrophise" - seeing it as disastrous if there is a party, or disastrous if you don't get 8 hours sleep. Try to get some perspective on it, including postponing any pursuit of complaints until after the exams. Your goal is to do well in the exams - just shrug off everything else for the moment. It is understandable you are a bit stressed, but you can control how you react to stuff. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

IWJ wrote: »
    Yo!

I'm renting a room in a family home and am currently in the middle of the exam period in a third level institution.

The home owners are throwing a party inviting a lot of their own friends a couple days before the exams begin, knowing well my situation.

What are my options legally? Get the Students Union involved? Small Claims Court? What ye think?

You are not a tenant but a licensee so have as much rights as a guest in their home, they can tell you to leave and basically lock you and your belongings out on the street at any time!

What exactly are you looking for them to do? cancel the party? hardly going to happen. Maybe pay for you to stay elsewhere? still unlikely as they have not told you to leave for the night and you accepted accommodation with a family obviously because they were a family and will occasionally do things like have parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

If it is an all night party get them to get one of the attendees to put you up for the night. If it is not an all night party then get the studying done during the day and enjoy the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

You're renting a room in a family home, therefore you're a licensee, you've no rights at all, they could tell you to move out tomorrow if they wanted and you've no recourse.

Have a look at the below site, it'll explain it for you..
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/sharing_accommodation_with_your_landlord.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The thread is a number of months old, the party happened long ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement