Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin ...Should I

• 11-05-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Only really begun, taking my new cube out a few times in the last 3 weeks.. Can start to feel the addiction...

Am i ready for a garmin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

General consensus around here would be that you're ready for a new bike :-) I've an 810 and its a nice bit of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Sign in there: http://app.strava.com/upload/garmin and install their phone app

If you're not ready for a Garmin yet, you will be by the end of this week.

(and out more often) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

im really looking to get a better understanding of my pace, speed and maintaining my heart rate at an optimum level.

I have map my ride , but, i suppose i want to see my details on the handlebars !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's inevitable, don't resist.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just buy it man, well worth the investment just for the sheer fun of looking at all the stats you get from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Don't do it yet. Enjoy the cycling, get the feel of your bike and your own body first. Then if you feel it'd be good go buy a simple bike computer - speed, distance, avg speed. Then move up and buy a fancy shmancy garmin if you really feel you're missing out.

(to avoid going against standing forum rules) You can use the money you save to buy a new bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just buy it man, well worth the investment just for the sheer fun of looking at all the stats you get from it

Not only can you find out who can kick your ass on the road, when they pass you. You can also see who can do it from the luxury of your own home on Strava.

They are worth getting though. Easy to use , reliable and good battery life. Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I put mind in saddle bag this morning half way through a 110km spin almost due SW. Couldn't be looking at it

Download app and use phone for now.

Most functionality is rarely used by most people who buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Stick strava on your phone for now and decide later if you need a garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

The Garmin is probably the best bit of kit I have bought and certainly improved my speed and stamina.

Pity you missed those cheap ones in aldi a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Use Strava, and use Veloviewer to extrapolate a mountain of stats from strava.

And buy a Garmin. I only have a 405 but it has all the features I need. Picked it up for buttons on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Use Strava, and use Veloviewer to extrapolate a mountain of stats from strava.

And buy a Garmin. I only have a 405 but it has all the features I need. Picked it up for buttons on ebay

Totally agree, I had the 305 and upgraded to the 500,

But the 305 had all the features i needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you're not concerned with heart rate monitoring or cadence then the Garmin Edge 200 will do the job nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I know it's all about G in here but you can have a look at the Bryton range as well. I've had the Rider 20 for nearly a year now, not too fancy but does the job. And it came with hrm and cadence sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

padyjoe wrote: »
    I know it's all about G in here but you can have a look at the Bryton range as well. I've had the Rider 20 for nearly a year now, not too fancy but does the job. And it came with hrm and cadence sensor.

Check swimcyclerun.com - for both bryton and garmin they have edge 500 bundle on sale for €204 and bryton is €160 or so, free shipping but if you're in dun laoghaire - they are also in dun laoghaire... if you know what I mean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

omri wrote: »
    Check swimcyclerun.com - for both bryton and garmin they have edge 200 bundle on sale for €204

That's a 500. €204 is nuts money for a 200.

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/weekly-special-offers/garmin-edge-500-bundle.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi,

Only really begun, taking my new cube out a few times in the last 3 weeks.. Can start to feel the addiction...

Am i ready for a garmin ?

If you can afford it... then yes...why not? But you should know its true worth? (Forgive the following ramble)

I'll summarise my two years of cycling with one...

Bought a 500 on an Amazon lightning sale after about 4 months of cycling.
    It gave me a "visual" of my cycling stuff to look at but I still used my iPhone to record my Strava/cycling data. It was more a "distance" thing.

I didn't know a lot about the more technical aspects of cycling.

I added a Heart rate monitor which just told me my HR rate.

Great.

I had a cadence and speed sensor yoke in a box for about 6 months because I thought there was too much tech stuff going on and all I was doing was cycling

Added said Cadence etc to the bike after someone explained the advantages to me.

If I could have gone back in time and I knew about cadence I'd have added it to the bike from the get go :) It helps pass the time while concentrating on it!

So that's where I was for about a year until Feb this year when I took on board a lot of information I learnt from some "serious" cyclists I was cycling with doing a charity spin.

The Garmin or whatever you are using gives you a lot more information to help you cycle.

I now have my Garmin set to show me Distance, Heart rate, Cadence, Speed and Gradient.

It has changed how I get up hills. For the better.

I have to keep my heart rate (via cadence/speed/gears) below a point where I will "blow up"

I have my screen set up to help me

So yes, if you can afford a Garmin, go for it but make the best of it you can. Don't waste two years like I did :o

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

New bike, handlebar and stem upgrade, Garmin and power meter are all needed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

+1 for Garmin
    Go for it. 500 up if you can. 200 looks nice but you wanted to keep track of your HR which 200 does not. I would not waste my time any other brand of computers. Seen many of others giving trouble but my 500 keeps on plugging away in any weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 for Garmin. Had a 500 and moved to an 800. Excellent gadgets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Is this a good price for the 500? http://www.0815.eu/-1/-1/-1?code=656516226

Advertisement