Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80km/h on Old N7 Limerick to Nenagh Road.

• 11-05-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Does anyone know why this road has gone from 100km/h to 80km/h? It's pretty ridiculous going that speed for a road of it's standard when a very rural secondary road has the same speed limit. However I've also noticed that the same stretch of road at the Nenagh to Moneygall side is still 100km/h. It's annoying considering it's riddled with those camera vans.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Does anyone know why this road has gone from 100km/h to 80km/h? It's pretty ridiculous going that speed for a road of it's standard when a very rural secondary road has the same speed limit. However I've also noticed that the same stretch of road at the Nenagh to Moneygall side is still 100km/h. It's annoying considering it's riddled with those camera vans.

is it because of the cycle lanes ?

once you get off the round about at the salt store it's a 100 km/h in past donal ryan's

agree with you it's stupid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Once the motorway opened the old N7 became the R445. The default speed limit on an R road is 80kph. It happened on all the old N roads that were detrunked. Councils have the power to change the speed limit back to 100kph but few ever do.

Once the motorway opened the old N7 became the R445. The default speed limit on an R road is 80kph. It happened on all the old N roads that were detrunked. Councils have the power to change the speed limit back to 100kph but few ever do.

On the old Dublin road between Cashel and Urlingford there are crazy limits. They can go from 80 to 100 for a few hundred metres and back again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I could be wrong but I believe if the limit is 100kmh or higher then it's the NRA who look after the road.
    Anything below that (80kmh) and it's the local council who maintain it....

.......apart from the GoSafe Van fundraising issue ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

It's been 80kms for years now. I always thought it was because of the 'cycle' lanes. Seems like you are crawling doing 80 on such a good road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It was 80 well before they 'painted in the cycle lanes'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I believe if the limit is 100kmh or higher then it's the NRA who look after the road.
    Anything below that (80kmh) and it's the local council who maintain it....

.......apart from the GoSafe Van fundraising issue ;).

The NRA look after the N roads and Motorways and the councils look after the R and L roads.
    The default speed limit in R and L roads is 80kph. As I said above local councils have the power to change the default limit up as far as 100Kph, which some councils have done on the old national routes that were detrunked to L road status.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    'painted in the cycle lanes'.

It's a disaster of a road. When I drive it, the 80km restriction drives me mad. I feel like I'm holding up cars behind me. When I cycle it there are so many stretches along the 'cycle lane' that are too bad to cycle on so I cycle on or just outside the white line, which in turn annoys a lot of drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and yet the stretch of road into nenagh (past the roundabout) is 100kph, bit daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Solobally8 wrote: »
    It's a disaster of a road. When I drive it, the 80km restriction drives me mad. I feel like I'm holding up cars behind me. When I cycle it there are so many stretches along the 'cycle lane' that are too bad to cycle on so I cycle on or just outside the white line, which in turn annoys a lot of drivers.

Potholes etc in hard shoulder or debris? Thinking of taking an extended cycle this weekend. It was fine the last time I was out that way, a bit boring but a relatively safe cycle. Probably 2 years ago though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

fryup wrote: »
    and yet the stretch of road into nenagh (past the roundabout) is 100kph, bit daft

The old Limerick to Nenagh road is now an R road so its 80Kph. The road from the motorway up to the first roundabout is an N road so its 100Kph. Quite simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Potholes etc in hard shoulder or debris? Thinking of taking an extended cycle this weekend. It was fine the last time I was out that way, a bit boring but a relatively safe cycle. Probably 2 years ago though.

A new natural gas main has been installed along it, so it's been pretty much dug up. At the moment it hasn't been re-instated to its previous condition, and I suspect that it won't be either.

To think Limerick and Tipperary County Councils spent nearly €900,000 on that 'lane' only a few years ago :eek:

Jaysus. Had plans to cycle it this weekend.
    Probably will anyway. Will report back with my own findings if I do.

It's grand to cycle on just stay on or outside the white line as much as possible. The dug up part is very bumpy and inside it (close to the hedges) is covered in puncture causing stones. That said its still totally possible to cycle along it. I was out there this evening, no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

it's still ok for cycing, but not as good as it used to be. The surface of the new tarmac covering the pipe looks fine at first glance, but is a bit "wavy" with loads of minor undulations making cycling a little uncomfortable. It looks like a job that was done in a rush, a small bit more care and they could have left some nice smooth tarmac behind.

Agree with Solobally that they have also left loads of debris and stones behind, they should really be forced to come back and clean up the place after them.

Yeah, still the safest medium distance cycle out of limerick. To bill it as a decent quality cycle lane in its current state would be ambitious to say the least.

As said by others...
    Road repairs have left a lot of debris in general and the surface left after them is pretty shoddy.

Not totally unexpected having seen the work ethic of the crew near the closed texaco.
    Sitting around passing smart comments on cyclists won't get that hole filled and finished with a sloppy layer of tarmac...

Advertisement