Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is my training log. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Options
  • 11-05-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

A return to logging for me. I had a log before which I used to log my progress towards a sub 4 marathon. I got there with a 3:48 in Manchester last year but we all know Manchester is 2 miles short so that doesn't count really. ;)

I signed up for Dublin 3 weeks ago and stopped smoking on the same day, but ended up on antibiotics for 2 weeks after that! :pac:
    Feeling good again now though so will hopefully log a few miles and get some advice on what I'm doing wrong along the way. I am in a club and hope to get to the club sessions now that they are on a Wednesday evening (as opposed to the previous schedule of a Monday night) and also do my long runs on a Saturday morning with a few of the club lads also. No plan for the next few weeks other than to get into shape to start marathon training and I had a good albeit surprising result yesterday when I pb'd in the local 10K with a time of 43:25. Plenty to come off that yet I hope. The only downside is I managed to get my first ever (giant) blister on my heel in the process and I'm not entirely sure how I managed it. Will try to hold off draining it but it's very sore with my shoes on so I might go at it later or tomorrow depending on how it feels. No running today but I'll need to get something done tomorrow for the sake of sanity. Thanks for reading if you managed to get this far.

There are 24 weeks to DCM 2015!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Nice pb Beef!
    Looking forward to following this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

welcome back Beef and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How can you leave blister? These are meant to be poked at. Get needle and thread, not knotted, and drain it. Dip needle in boiling water first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi Beef. Good to have you back! Are you doing the Poulmucka 8k on the 22nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    How can you leave blister? These are meant to be poked at. Get needle and thread, not knotted, and drain it. Dip needle in boiling water first.

noooo... cover it up with compeed, those things are miraculous.

Love your log title, best of luck with the training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

aquinn wrote: »

The drive home convinced me it needed to be drained. A needle and a bottle of TCP. Job done.
    Hi Beef. Good to have you back! Are you doing the Poulmucka 8k on the 22nd?

I hope to! Will you make it this year? It really is a great race with a proper village feel and the pub as the focal point!
    annapr wrote: »
    noooo... cover it up with compeed, those things are miraculous.

Love your log title, best of luck with the training.

Thanks, I also have a blister plaster on it so I took on all advice given. :)
    I'm not used to this blister craic at all. I almost sympathy for the wife when she complains about not being able to walk in heels on nights out. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Looking forward to following your log!
    Have you ever tried heel locking the lace on your shoes? I was shown it in amphibian king and I've never had a blister or a black toe nail. Here's a link to a video showing how to do it https://youtu.be/IijQyX_YCKA

Thanks Chickey2, I tried that this evening and I didn't have any ill-effects!

Tuesday 12th May
    55 mins (6.25 miles @ 8:50)

The blister is much better today and armed with a few found ability to tie my laces I headed off on a smashing evening. Really enjoyed it this evening on a mixture of bypass and country roads. My mood has taken a turn for the worse since I came home and tried to sync with Garmin Express. I think it may be the worst, most frustrating piece of software I've ever used. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Manchester, April 2014 - one of the best nights, with a great family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Welcome back, love the log title!

• Advertisement

Manchester, April 2014 - one of the best nights, with a great family :)

It really was some craic! We might catch up after DCM 2015? I need to find Meno that day too, I owe him a few pints. :)
    Welcome back, love the log title!

Cheers OP, I see you've taken your running to a different level since I was last logging here. Well done on a brilliantly executed training block and race. Must have been a great feeling!

Wedneday 13/05- Club Pyramid Session 5 miles mixed pace
    First time in a long time doing the midweek session with the club.
    My Garmin went tits up again so not quite sure of exact paces but not to worry. We did some warm-ups and then a pyramid session followed by some easy running and core. It was something like
    90 seconds (60 seconds recovery)
    90 seconds (60 seconds recovery)
    3 minutes (60 seconds recovery)
    3 minutes (60 seconds recovery)
    4.5 minutes (60 seconds recovery)
    4.5 minutes

Finished up with a 2 mile jog around the block on my own to wind down the legs.

I did them all at in or around my "hopeful" 5K pace I think, so it was a good tough session for me. Probably a bit too hard given I raced a 10K on Sunday but the legs were willing and I felt good. That was the strange thing about the 10K on Sunday, on Monday (other than a blister) I had no aches or pains whatsoever. I must not have run hard enough?

Thursday 14/05 4.5 miles easy @ 9:05 pace
    Had to scrape myself off the bed this morning to do this. I don't like really running in the mornings but I can't go this evening. Glad to have it done rather than skipping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Beef wrote: »
    I did them all at in or around my "hopeful" 5K pace I think, so it was a good tough session for me. Probably a bit too hard given I raced a 10K on Sunday but the legs were willing and I felt good. That was the strange thing about the 10K on Sunday, on Monday (other than a blister) I had no aches or pains whatsoever. I must not have run hard enough?

Hey beef and well done on the 10k again. Was that a pb?

I felt exactly the same after racing a 5k last Saturday. The next day my legs felt wonderful. The following day they felt even better.
    I've come to the same conclusion as yourself. I just didn't give it enough welly.
    I've had more soreness after a hard training run! I did a 400-800m speed session yesterday and I feel a little tenderness in quads which is normal, but nothing at all from Saturday! We both gotta push a bit more next time round methinks!

Cheers Ososlo, a pair of softies! Sher there's always next time to thrash our legs. ;)

Edit - Sorry, yes that was a pb alright. Previous best was 44:10 back in October.

Saturday 16/05
    LSR 11.65 miles @ 8:46 avg pace
    Met up with a few of the club lads for this and the miles went by nice and quickly. Hilly enough route so a decent workout. Wrecked all day afterwards!

Sunday 17/05
    5 miles @ 9:16 avg pace (started easy - turned into recovery)
    Yesterday's run must have taken a bit out of me cos I was shagged doing this. Nice and easy pace though and it will be all easy runs for the rest of the week in the lead up to the Poulmucka 5 mile race on Friday night.

33 miles for the week which I'm happy enough with after being out sick.

Monday 18/05
    10.1 miles @ 09:05 avg pace

90 odd minutes over a hilly enough route. One of those runs where you start out feeling rough and think you'll be home after 20 minutes but slowly get better and feel great (albeit a bit tired) at the end. The route helped as I headed for some minor hills and had a great view down over the town on very quiet country roads. Was supposed to meet a couple of work colleagues after work for a few pints afterwards but they got caught out with work that took longer than expected so I managed to get in Game of Thrones too. Result!

Advertisement