Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options
  • 11-05-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Not sure if this is the right forum, if not mods please move.

So. I am looking to get a home CCTV system that I can install, record and monitor myself but I don't have the first clue.

I need it as I am 100% positive but cannot prove that my neighbour is vandalising my property. He escalated from throwing rocks at my dog, threatening to kill her to blowing my letterbox clean off with a firework (whilst everyone was in the house, pets in the hall). He has gouged chunks out of the paint of my car and left dents in it. And today I took my car to the garage as two of the tyres were going flat. They BOTH had nails stuck in. One just in the tyre (so 'theoretically' could have been picked up anywhere). But the other one was stuffed into the air intake valve. Obviously vandalism.

I know who it is, but I am sick of it and now want to prove it. I want to catch him in the act and have recorded evidence to give the guards.

Now my problem is I don't have money to be spending on equipment, but then I also don't have money to be spending on reparing things he damages, like the letterbox and tyres. And I certainly don't want to have a vet bill or worse if he does damage to my animals.

So can anyone point me in the direction of a decent CCTV system, with recording, that can be used by a pleb at the best price possible.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The IP systems you can get in ALDI or €60 ones you can get in IT shops aren't the worst, you can record on a laptop.

Edit: And call the guards NOW if explosives are being left in your house...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

He put the explosive in just after halloween. we had the guards out that night - but there was a 30min delay as one of them had been attacked at the time - so when they knocked into him (knocked into all the houses) he was obviously in bed asleep. They sent the socco out the next day but they couldn't find anything to pin on anyone of course.

Do aldi always have those?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are looking for something that may be needed as evidence in a case as serious as that a DIY system won't cut it. You will need something more professional.
    Take a look at some of the suppliers listed in the sticky here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

KoolKid wrote:
    If you are looking for something that may be needed as evidence in a case as serious as that a DIY system won't cut it. You will need something more professional. Take a look at some of the suppliers listed in the sticky here

Just out of curiosity, why do you say that? Is it a quality issue...?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Quality would not always be an issue. Its a feature call digital watermarking.Its proof that an image has not been tampered with. Without digital watermarking present any video evidence can be dismissed as unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

KoolKid wrote:
    Quality would not always be an issue. Its a feature call digital watermarking.Its proof that an image has not been tampered with. Without digital watermarking present any video evidence can be dismissed as unreliable.

I suppose that's a possibility but I think thinking that way about CCTV for personal use is a bit overkill. For the ops purposes he needs something that will catch the little sh1t causing criminal damage to his car / house. The gardai would certainly be able to use that. The chances are the vandal will stop his actions as soon as he sees the cameras be installed anyway

As a deterrent yes , even some housing may be enough. But there is nothing worse that seeing the scumbag doing the damage and then smiling at you after a smart arse lawyer getting him off on something so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

I suppose that's a possibility but I think thinking that way about CCTV for personal use is a bit overkill. For the ops purposes he needs something that will catch the little sh1t causing criminal damage to his car / house. The gardai would certainly be able to use that. The chances are the vandal will stop his actions as soon as he sees the cameras be installed anyway

For the cost of diy equipment in these stores you would be better off buying the system of better quality and installing your self. I would have a look at the HIKVision equipment. In terms of quality they would be one of the best on the market and not that expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

As a professional installer I have had plenty of my clients CCTV put forward as evidence in legal cases.
    You would not believe the criteria necessary before a defence solicitor cannot nick pick the video images.
    The biggest problem is that in these cases the standard necessary is what is known as evidential, whereby you cannot at all mistake the person on the image committing the crime, unfortunately most analogue systems simply have cameras providing general views especially domestic ones and has been previously mentioned are not watermarked.
    If the OP is quick enough she might catch the culprit with the video recorder on her phone as that is a hell of a lot better than any cheap CCTV system.

I think he does it at night. Cos I haven't caught him with anything other than the rocks and the threatening to kill my dog. I was in my bedroom when he put the firework thru. Heard the letterbox and thought it was odd at 1am. Went into the hall just as it blew.

Oh and fyi - I'm a girl!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

hdowney wrote: »
    I think he does it at night. Cos I haven't caught him with anything other than the rocks and the threatening to kill my dog. I was in my bedroom when he put the firework thru. Heard the letterbox and thought it was odd at 1am. Went into the hall just as it blew.

Oh and fyi - I'm a girl!!

My apologies, edit-ted accordingly....;)

So he could have set fire to your place, what a bloody coward.

kub wrote:
    So he could have set fire to your place, what a bloody coward.

Pretty much. He's been a nuisance for the last 15yr. Started as a young boy (10-12ish). Throwing stuff at the dog (then pup) for no reason - so obv she developed a dislike to him. But at 20something he should have grown up and copped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

Hi there,I don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm wondering can anyone here help me with a question i have about recording cctv, does anybody know if it's possible to record cctv using a satellite receiver which has a 500gb hard drive built in, plus bnc inputs at its rear pane? The receiver in question is a Humax Foxsat Hdr. Thanks

Any idea what the bnc inputs are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

KoolKid wrote: »
    Any idea what the bnc inputs are looking for?

Now that I think of it, maybe their actually outputs, doh! Maybe 1 of the 3 lnb inputs can be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gheorge

hdowney wrote: »
    Hi. Not sure if this is the right forum, if not mods please move.

So. I am looking to get a home CCTV system that I can install, record and monitor myself but I don't have the first clue.

I need it as I am 100% positive but cannot prove that my neighbour is vandalising my property. He escalated from throwing rocks at my dog, threatening to kill her to blowing my letterbox clean off with a firework (whilst everyone was in the house, pets in the hall). He has gouged chunks out of the paint of my car and left dents in it. And today I took my car to the garage as two of the tyres were going flat. They BOTH had nails stuck in. One just in the tyre (so 'theoretically' could have been picked up anywhere). But the other one was stuffed into the air intake valve. Obviously vandalism.

I know who it is, but I am sick of it and now want to prove it. I want to catch him in the act and have recorded evidence to give the guards.

Now my problem is I don't have money to be spending on equipment, but then I also don't have money to be spending on reparing things he damages, like the letterbox and tyres. And I certainly don't want to have a vet bill or worse if he does damage to my animals.

So can anyone point me in the direction of a decent CCTV system, with recording, that can be used by a pleb at the best price possible.

Thanks guys

If you want to install a CCTV system, I can help you or just advise. You need to purchase IP cameras, have better quality and can be accessed even when you are in holiday outside Ireland. So my advise is IP cameras. Min 2 megapixel. An IP cam. is aprox 60 euro, NVR -aprox 50 euro, here depends how many camera you would like to install, a hard drive, preferable bigger the better aprox 100 euro, and Cat 5e or 6 cable solid coper. So search online for there many advises and you will be able to install yourself, if not, I can help you. Good luck.

Advertisement