Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG 34UC97 widescreen curved monitor

Options
  • 11-05-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for an upgrade of my old Dell 2407 1080p panel from 2006, and I am looking at the LG curved 34 inch panel - it's getting great review all round. Anyone here have it? Any opinions?

My only caveat is the PPI density isn't the same as my Macbook Pro so I'm concerned the screen won't be sharp enough...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Backlight bleed and ips glow are massive issues on this panel. Caveat emptor! Beware of professional reviews that would have received hand picked good quality panels by LG. Consumer batches are riddled with problems

• Registered Users Posts: 54,196 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dont go near LG Panels

I got an AOC 21:9 which had a LG panel and I went through 2 monitors and eventually gave up and sent it back

LG are awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Headshot wrote: »
    Dont go near LG Panels

I got an AOC 21:9 which had a LG panel and I went through 2 monitors and eventually gave up and sent it back

LG are awful

I presume this is just for the larger panels, have a 23" for the last two years, very happy with it, same panel that was in the highly rated (a good few boardies got them) dell hm (or um?) models

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Headshot wrote: »
    Dont go near LG Panels

LG are awful

Sample size of two making determinations for an entire company's product stack... sounds legit...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,196 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tbh I dont like LG in general. I just dont think they may good stuff.

Their like the HP of the monitor world.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Serephucus wrote: »
    Sample size of two making determinations for an entire company's product stack... sounds legit...

I went through 2 3415w which use the same panels as the OPs interest. Both were brutal and DSR'ed. It's not just our experience, forums all over the internet have similar consumer experiences of these panels. Dell even pulled supply of the 3415w due to quality control issues with the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

The thing about the LG though is that it has a good selection of ports (2xHDMI, and thunderbolt) and a great design. I've see the backlight bleed issues but it seems to vary. If it was minor it wouldn't bother me too much.

The other option is the Samsung S34E790 - a VA panel which by all accounts is good but it has only 1xHDMI and one display port. And the HDMI is limited to 50Hz. I would want to hook up my PC, Macbook Pro and (eventually) a PS4 without swapping cables all the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My current LG is proving a far better gaming screen than my dell or catleap, contrast ratio, colours,response time are all better and everything looks better on it than my other two monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I've had a couple of LG screens and can't fault them at all. In fact they were better than any other screens I've had previous.
    About to order the 29um65 myself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

vlad2009 wrote: »
    I've had a couple of LG screens and can't fault them at all. In fact they were better than any other screens I've had previous.
    About to order the 29um65 myself

vlad check your private messages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Bought one of these about 4 weeks ago.

Bit of background first, my previous setup was 3 22" screens for gaming. 2 1080p and 1 1050p TN panels

Coming from TN panels for gaming the difference is night and day in how vibrant the colours are in gaming( i have IPS panels at work and realised the difference but obviously not gaming ).

On PPI, its pretty much the same as a regular 27" PC monitor with extra width, so nowhere near the PPI of a Mac book pro, i think it looks great, not like i see individual pixels unless i look at it from 4-5 inches away. If youre worried about the PPI maybe go for a 24" 4K screen? but it will still only have a 185PPI compared to 226 of a 2015 Mac book pro.

As its IPS it suffers from IPS glow, mine isint bad, small bit in the corners and really only visible if i switch off the light and the screen is showing a black screen. As with any panel technology they all have their pros and cons and none are perfect, OLED suffers from burn in and the longevity of the blue pixels, VA with colour reproduction etc etc,

I have 0 dead pixels on mine( thankfully - i would have returned it if i did )

On the curve, its only very slight but does make it far more immersive especially for gaming/watching movies as couples with it being ultra widescreen it takes up most of your view( compared to a flat ultra wide ). I usually move it a bit closer for gaming though as in about 8-9 inches away so it takes up most of my view. Ideally a 36" one would be perfect but then that would sacrifice resolution etc.

Productivity wise i think its brilliant, even general use in Windows i usually end up having a youtube video on the right and a browser window or 2 on the left, youll naturally split the screen real estate like this. I use it for coding on one side and documentation etc on the other side.

I havnt noticed any input lag( im sure its there ) playing GTA V, Old Order etc.

I would have much preferred if the panel was 120-144Hz with freesync or gsync but there are still no 34" 3440x1440 panels with high refersh and vsync/gsync. I got fed up waiting :)

I would also prefer of the bezel was a tiny bit smaller( its not huge, just preference ), in face it is tiny when the screen is off, but turn on the screen for the first time and you can see that the panel is about 10 mm inside that, i.e. what looks like a tiny bezel when its off is actually ~12mm one when its on.

HDMI is limited to 50Hz on this screen but DP is 60Hz, i also tried overclocking the screen, but its a waste of time, i could only get ~62Hz from it, may be possible to get a few more HZ from it if you had the settings rather than trial and error but i didnt think it was worth it.

Actually im so impressed with the width/curve and colours that im thinking of using this one for working from home and picking up another when the refresh is higher etc. Theyre damn expensive but considering i get around 10 years from screens i wanted to get something decent. 4K is a bit too immature in terms of gfx cards to drive it, refresh rate etc.

Cheers mate that is really helpful! I had heard HDMI was 60Hz on this one, no biggie I suppose. I was thinking would they produce a 4k/5k version of this in the future and should I get this now or wait etc. The retina display really has spoiled me. I don't want to be seeing any pixels on the display at normal view distance if you get me, once it's crisp and vibrant at a normal desk distance I'm happy.

no problem at all. I doubt there will be a curved 4k/5k ultrawide any time soon unfortunately as the market isint there( yet? ). Curved screens for computers are still in their infancy and the current handful of curved screens are basically just testing the market.

Most of these new types of screens are announced before CES every year and then theyre first shown at CES so it will probably be the end of the year before the next iteration of these screens is announced but theyre aiming for higher refresh/gsynch/freesynch than higher resolution, i guess they figure 4k screens has that marked currently sown up. So you could wait but how long is the question, there are none on the horizon.

At my normal distance from the screen i cant really see the pixels( if i squint and concentrate on a picture/letter then i can just about make out the pixels but thats not normal viewing ).

If i open paint and draw a nearly straight horizontal( say stepping 4 pixels vertically ) black line on a white background with no antialiasing, then definately i can see the pixels, but that would also be visible on your mac book pro( as its completely worst case scenario and would even be visble on small mobile screen ). General use though i would say no, not noticable.

Your best bet is if you could see a 27" 1440p panel in a computer shop like PC World and see if you can see pixels at your normal viewing distance as the PPI is the exact same.

The picture is very crisp and extremely vibrant, i never really cared about desktop wallpapers but with this screen it looks soo good that i like to have scenic views as my wallpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Merkberk pro display master race!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

Any advice on where to order one of these from? New to Dublin so I'm learning the ropes. I've seen dabs and komplett mentioned a lot but they don't seem to stock this or the Dell U3415W.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

U3415W go direct to Dell is probably the best bet, they ship a lot of their stock directly from Poland in a couple working days.

For the LG:
    Scan https://www.scan.co.uk/products/34-lg-34uc97-219-curved-ultrawide-quad-hd-ips-3440x1440-300cd-m-speakers-black-dp-hdmix2-usb3-x2-thu

Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-34UC97-S-AEK-anti-glare-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00N943AGK

After a lot of though I've actually decided to go with the Samsung 34 inch curved as it seems the better monitor on many fronts. Just waiting on the price to come down a bit!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QB9OSZ2?keywords=samsung%20s34e790c&qid=1455563275&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Actually it's down at around the €840 mark now! From over €1k a few weeks ago.....mmm tempting!

Would you not consider a 100hz gsync or freesync monitor like the Acer predator or Asus variants?

I see the successor to the 34uc97 is out, the 34uc98! More ports, adjustable stand, apparently backlight bleed sorted, Amd free sync, and it's bloody gorgeous.

I just caved and ordered it! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

Elessar wrote: »
    I see the successor to the 34uc97 is out, the 34uc98! More ports, adjustable stand, apparently backlight bleed sorted, Amd free sync, and it's bloody gorgeous.

I just caved and ordered it! :eek: :D

Where did you order from? I'm in the market for one, weighing up the Dell or this.

• Advertisement

Where did you order from? I'm in the market for one, weighing up the Dell or this.

Www.microaid.ie - they have a great price at the mo, better than amazon, and they will have stock next week.

So I just got this (LG 34UC98) and it's beautiful and gigantic - however the resolution is just a little too low for me, it's quite jarring having come from high PPI displays. It's fantastic for movies but everything else it a little too burred for my liking. I'll keep it until a 4k/5K ultra wide is released and swap it out then :D

Advertisement