Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperlinks to other files...?

Options
  • 11-05-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody can help me with this, it's probably a very simple fix but I have a folder on on desktop with some sub folders in it and an Excel spreadsheet.
    I have it set up that you can click on the information in one of the cells and it will open the related document in the appropriate sub folder. It all works really well on my PC but is there a way I can just copy the whole folder to a USB and give to to someone else (or upload it to a Dropbox) so that the hyperlinks will work on their computer.
    At the moment it doesn't seem to work because the hyper link address is the folder on my desktop where as I want it to be the folder in the main folder which can be seen on any PC if you know what I mean...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody can help me with this, it's probably a very simple fix but I have a folder on on desktop with some sub folders in it and an Excel spreadsheet.
    I have it set up that you can click on the information in one of the cells and it will open the related document in the appropriate sub folder. It all works really well on my PC but is there a way I can just copy the whole folder to a USB and give to to someone else (or upload it to a Dropbox) so that the hyperlinks will work on their computer.
    At the moment it doesn't seem to work because the hyper link address is the folder on my desktop where as I want it to be the folder in the main folder which can be seen on any PC if you know what I mean...?

What path is used to create the links.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try reducing the hyperlink to link to just the folder and the file name, for example:
    C:\Users\<YOU>\Desktop\Documents\files\doc.docx
    to -> \Documents\files\doc.docx

Not sure if this will work but it's worth a shot! :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/328440

Suggests relative paths are supported.

For example do:
    C:\Users\<YOU>\Desktop\MyProject\Workbook1.xslx
    C:\Users\<YOU>\Desktop\MyProject\Files\file1.xyz
    C:\Users\<YOU>\Desktop\MyProject\Files\file2.xyz
    C:\Users\<YOU>\Desktop\MyProject\Files\file3.xyz
    C:\Users\<YOU>\Desktop\MyProject\Files\file4.xyz

Reference them by "\Files\file1.xyz" not the full path.

Then zip it and send it. Wherever the receiver unzips it the relative paths will remain intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Sorry Ed, I couldn't really follow what you said.
    Say I have a folder on my desktop called 'Repairs' (for example) In that folder I have a number of other folders and subfolders containing the details on each of those repairs. In that same folder I have a spreadsheet with the brief details on each repair, when you click on the appropriate cell for a particular repair it opens the document in the folder for that repair. It works very well on my PC.

What I would like to be able to do is email somebody the folder called 'Repairs' and when they open the spreadsheet and click on a link it will take them to the info in the appropriate folder but the link doesn't work because its showing as "file:///C:\users>myname<\desktop\repairs\repair145\details.pdf"

What would I have to do to change the hyperlink to make it work on any PC?
    When I create the hyperlink in Excel I do it by browsing to the correct document.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

If the excel file is in the same folder then you can use the same path

So the excel formula would be like

=HYPERLINK(".\filename.filetype")

This should map to all the files in the folder once the correct filenames and filetype.

So say you had a file called document.docx with the excel file saved in the same folder.

The formula would be

=HYPERLINK(".\document.docx","A Document")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What would I have to do to change the hyperlink to make it work on any PC?
    When I create the hyperlink in Excel I do it by browsing to the correct document.

Because the link includes your username. When opening on another PC the link is the same so it tries to find the file with a path that only works on your PC. Any other will have a different user therefore making the link redundant.

Advertisement