Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Postgrad for non-law undergrad

Options
  • 11-05-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm currently finishing my second year in Economics in UCD. However, I want to pursue a career in law. More specifically, a solicitor. There are four postgrad law options that I'm considering:

Masters in Common Law, UCD
    Masters in Legal Science, NUIM
    LLB, NUIG
    LLB, UL

I'm currently leaning towards UCD, but if anyone could give me any information regarding these courses it would be a massive help. Also, regarding a grant, I know I would get one for the two masters courses (as they are level 9), but as the two others are still level 8 and my economics degree would be a level 8 I'm not sure I would get the grant for postgrad studies. Can anyone tell me if that's the case or not? Appreciate all advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

You don't need a qualification in law to be a solicitor. You can do a preparatory course for the FE-1s (solicitor qualifying exams) and just take those. Doing a four year LL.B. course in NUIG or UL is overkill. Doing a masters wouldn't hurt, but probably won't do much to give you the foundation in the more basic subjects.

Overall, I think your best bet would just be to look into taking a prep course for the FE-1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jac95

tiro wrote: »
    You don't need a qualification in law to be a solicitor. You can do a preparatory course for the FE-1s (solicitor qualifying exams) and just take those. Doing a four year LL.B. course in NUIG or UL is overkill. Doing a masters wouldn't hurt, but probably won't do much to give you the foundation in the more basic subjects.

Overall, I think your best bet would just be to look into taking a prep course for the FE-1s.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I know that you do not need a specific law degree to sit my FE1-s, but I feel that I would be more comfortable too, plus I assume having a law postgrad along with an undergrad such as economics would enhance job prospects.

From what I've seen already the two masters courses are degrees for non law grads, thus would cover the basic subjects. Was looking for a bit more detail about them (workload etc.). By the way the LLB in Galway is only 3 years and the one in UL is only 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zoe182

Hey, I know this thread is from last year but im in the same boat. I have an undergrad in Accounting and am thinking about either the graduate LLB in UCC or MCL in UCD?

as they are both 2 years, its just down to the title of the degree? Would an LLB be more recognised than the MCL? However UCD is ranked higher....

I'm quite torn so if you've started the course, please do let me know how its going...

Much appreciated!

Advertisement