Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths - useful for Computer Science?

• 11-05-2015 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭

Would applied maths be useful for a computer science course?

I will be doing honours maths (got a B in JC) and physics.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Well it will improve your reasoning no doubt, and it will put your ability to the test (some of the maths can be pretty challenging). So you will improve at expressing your ideas mathematically and it will also improve your actual ability to solve complex equations (projectiles on the incline gets so so messy..). Also you will be gain a broad understanding of vectors (which are used a lot in comp sci) and some of the topics come up in game design and stuff, projectiles for example.

I would say yes. Don't expect an easy ride though, in my opinion it is the most challenging subject you can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

In short; it probably would help a little.

However my advice would be to go with whatever subjects you enjoy and feel like you can do reasonably well in. Once you have Physics and Higher Maths there's really no pressing need to take another similar subject unless you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sure i didn't do honours maths or applied maths, and i'm one of the best programmers in my first year java class.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You're probably not going to do most of the topics in applied maths again but it will certainly help with your mathematical ingenuity.

If you like maths and physics and want to do applied maths, you should definitely try it. The experience will stand to you. Don't do it if you don't want to but feel like you need to because you definitely don't need to.

Advertisement