Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cats spraying, all three are neutered?

• 11-05-2015 7:30pm

One of my housemates has concerns about cats spraying in our garden, on his car specifically. There are two neutered three year old tomcats here and my spayed year old female. I did notice one of the toms spraying in the garden a few weeks ago (or it looked like he was!). It's a small cul-de-sac with many resident cats, but they seem to have formed a social club. I think Amelia is getting the blame, but it was my understanding that spraying was rare in females, especially spayed females? She never sprayed in my last house. Would she take it up now at a year old?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well if she'd gotten stressed due to a new cat trying to get in on her turf possibly but unlikely; you could also do a vet check to make sure she don't have a UTI or similar medical issue.

Thanks. Honestly I don't think Amelia is the one responsible. No one has seen anything, she's just getting the blame because last one in.... I haven't noticed anything out of sorts or strange with her. I believe it's one of the toms, Nathan, or one of the neighbourhood toms. I didn't think that spayed females, nor neutered toms, sprayed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thanks. Honestly I don't think Amelia is the one responsible. No one has seen anything, she's just getting the blame because last one in.... I haven't noticed anything out of sorts or strange with her. I believe it's one of the toms, Nathan, or one of the neighbourhood toms. I didn't think that spayed females, nor neutered toms, sprayed?
    They do if they feel their territory is under attack so to speak so they spray to reaffirm their territory and to let other cats know that this area is theirs.

Ah, it's not Amelia then. She's only new in here, and she's not very territorial anyway - I think it's the moodier of the tomcats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

They'll spray regardless of neutering/spaying or if new or established territory when they feel threatened. It's their way of marking the area and saying I live here. Our own cats do it if an intruder cat sneaks into the garden. A new neighbours cat came in the catflap last week during the night and ours chased her off, but Felix peed inside the kitchen window to mark there. They'll spray in the garden if they're really stressed.

Clean the area with bio washing powder diluted with water. It'll kill the enzyme in the cat urine or it'll keep coming back and they'll keep spraying the area so long as they can smell it.

• Advertisement

They'll spray regardless of neutering/spaying or if new or established territory when they feel threatened. It's their way of marking the area and saying I live here. Our own cats do it if an intruder cat sneaks into the garden. A new neighbours cat came in the catflap last week during the night and ours chased her off, but Felix peed inside the kitchen window to mark there. They'll spray in the garden if they're really stressed.

Clean the area with bio washing powder diluted with water. It'll kill the enzyme in the cat urine or it'll keep coming back and they'll keep spraying the area so long as they can smell it.

Yes to this! Amelia did take a wee on the mat in the kitchen when a neighbourhood cat came in the catflap. But she didn't spray! She has since made good mates with the poor elderly toothless mitten it is who comes in. I wonder if the eldery cat or other neighborrhood cats are weeing on my housemate's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I wouldnt rule out your cat totally. I had a female spayed cat who would spray to mark her territory or if she was upset. She was a very territorial cat in personality though, would stand up to any cat who came across her path. Unless you catch the cat in question in the act theres no way to tell for sure.

Yes to this! Amelia did take a wee on the mat in the kitchen when a neighbourhood cat came in the catflap. But she didn't spray! She has since made good mates with the poor elderly toothless mitten it is who comes in. I wonder if the eldery cat or other neighborrhood cats are weeing on my housemate's car.

It could be any or all of them spraying. If Toby sprays in the garden Felix will then go and spray exactly where Toby sprayed. Then Toby will eventually go and spray over where Felix sprayed.:rolleyes: It's usually something that happens when new cats move into the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Even if they can't smell it, they'll still pee there in my experience.
    We've been having a really tough time because one of our females keeps peeing in the sink. We scrub it every day but she will still use it unless it's covered with something. It's getting really frustrating now and we're not too sure what to do. :mad:

Heroditas wrote: »
    We've been having a really tough time because one of our females keeps peeing in the sink. We scrub it every day but she will still use it unless it's covered with something. It's getting really frustrating now and we're not too sure what to do. :mad:
    What do you use to clean it?
    How many toilets do you have vs. how many cats?
    How long as she been peeing in the sink?
    Have you tried other types of pellets? Is she declawed?
    Has she been to the vet for health check?

• Advertisement

Could you put a litter tray in front of the sink, even temporarily? That might stop it and then you could gradually move the litter box further and further away from the sink. Often when cats start peeing in odd places there's a medical/stress reason for it. Have you had her vet checked?

Nody wrote: »
    What do you use to clean it?
    How many toilets do you have vs. how many cats?
    How long as she been peeing in the sink?
    Have you tried other types of pellets? Is she declawed?
    Has she been to the vet for health check?

- Get Off Cat Spray
    - 3 for 3 cats
    - on and off for several months but it's got worse recently. We even covered the sink with tinfoil whenever we weren't using it and took it away after 4 weeks. She was back peeing in it straight away.
    - recently moved from MAxiZoo's clumping litter to a wood-based clumping litter. I'm dumping all the litter trays and buying new ones along with going back to the old litter today
    - No she's not declawed
    - Not for a while but she's eating ok

Could you put a litter tray in front of the sink, even temporarily? That might stop it and then you could gradually move the litter box further and further away from the sink. Often when cats start peeing in odd places there's a medical/stress reason for it. Have you had her vet checked?

Well we did have our second child a few months ago so the cat has been getting a lot less attention.

Our territorial cat would do this too. Had to cover the sink or turn a basin upside down in it to stop her. It was a nightmare. Eventually discovered that she needed a totally clean litter tray...she point blank refused to use the tray even if it had only been used once before. It meant we had to clean the tray numerous times a day but it seemed to work.

Well we did have our second child a few months ago so the cat has been getting a lot less attention.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there!!! We had a baby 12 months after we got our cat and as soon as the baby arrived her behaviour got worse. She even peed in the changing bag once!

There ya go, that answers that.:D Congratulations on the new arrival.:) One thing I've noticed is that a baby crying can often sound almost exactly like the noise fighting cats make when they're shrieking and howling at each other, which in itself can be unnerving. All the strange sounds and smells and new things in the house are probably overwhelming too.

Yeah I have a feeling the child isn't helping.
    Funnily enough, the male is in ok form this time around. He hasn't been spraying like he used to, just his sister.

Gotta laugh at Twomonkeys with the fastidious cat. I have a feeling that might be the issue with ours as well. She really is a fussy so-and-so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Neutered cats tend to "pretend" spray - nothing actually comes out! Is he finding dried trickles of cat urine running down the paintwork? It may well be an un-neutered tom passing through that's causing the trouble and the neutered boys are just fake-spraying. (Mine do!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wish my neutered cats fake sprayed - they don't! Dude has never sprayed but both peach and cream do and they were neutered at 5/6 months, spraying only started when they were over a year old. They walk the boundaries of the garden and spray it every single day, they do take turns on whose round it is though :D
    Cream also sprays in the house, he goes through good and bad phases of it, sometimes it's obvious changes like my brother coming home, sometimes he does it if he's a bit constipated and sometimes he does it for absolutely no reason only to be a brat. Same spots every time, always cleaned with bio washing liquid. He's nearly stripped the paint on one of my guitars - it's a favourite spot of his! Peach only ever does it outside but I've watched and it's not fake either, she's just a good cat who would never do those kind of things where she's not supposed to :P

I found out by watching my spayed female Amelia is the one who is spraying my housemate's car!! Little b1tch.

She owns the cul-de-sac now. I'm so proud of her. She only moved in here two to three months ago and she already owns the place. In her first week she got into a fight with a big bully ginger cat, no one has seen him since Meels moved in! She is such a total pet cat too. Hugs, cuddles, she does the lot. So proud of my kitten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement