Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm going off for 48 hours

Options
  • 11-05-2015 8:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

A house beside our is rented out and the alarm was going off for 48 hours. I contacted the name on the alarm and they said there was nothing they could do about it and didn't know who the owner was. Then I got a number for the owner from a previous tenant and tried calling him but no reply. Sent him a message on vibes which he saw but didn't reply to.

What are my rights here? The house is empty it seems and the alarm is causing everyone great annoyance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

call the guards. Tell them you think someone is in house .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

mad m wrote: »
    call the guards. Tell them you think someone is in house .

Water protestors.....Guards will come by the van load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I live in an unfinished estate, years ago this use to happen to unocupied house, so people just cut the alarms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The tenants could just be on holidays I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

We had a similiar situation a few years back and a neighbour just cut the alarm. I think its very bad form of a landlord not to give a neighbour their phone no and walk off as if its nothing to do with tjem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,720 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

By regulations they are supposed to reset after 20 mins or so, if it was me I would record 30 minutes of constant alarm then I would get a ladder and lump hammer and record me taking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Not a great idea as you will be charged for criminal damage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Unfortunately you have no right to disconnect the alarm, neither do the alarm company.
    The Guards will chase it up for you though. Maybe a call from them to the landlord may get more notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

He may not have seen the Viber message - I uninstalled Viber on my phone months ago but people still get notifications that I've read their messages, when obviously I haven't! I'd try sending a normal text message and also a voicemail (many people don't answer the phone if they don't recognise the number calling.) After all it's in his own interests to ensure all is ok with the house, I can't see any good reason for him to ignore the problem!

The guards said they couldn't help but in fairness this was before I got the number. I have no intention of damaging the alarm.

He definitely saw the message as it was first 'delivered' on viber and then 'Seen'

Do I give the guards the number I have? What if it's wrong? The lady in the council environment dept said she would call him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Pick up the phone and call him yourself. No need to get other people involved.

You could have all this sorted in 5 minutes if you just ring him and see if you have the right number and if he is going to do something about it.

I tried calling him about 4 times over two days and he wouldn't pick up. I left voicemails and then sent a vober message which he saw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

CaraMay wrote: »
    I tried calling him about 4 times over two days and he wouldn't pick up. I left voicemails and then sent a vober message which he saw
    I've deleted Viber and apparently people send messages and it says seen, so try sending a regular text.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I've deleted Viber and apparently people send messages and it says seen, so try sending a regular text.

Did that too. Tried all these angles so wtats the next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Ring him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

CaraMay wrote: »
    Did that too. Tried all these angles so wtats the next step?
    Maybe you could say you've seen people scoping out the place and trying to break in as it's clearly unoccupied with the alarm going off. Nothing illegal about that.

Maybe ring the PRTB, they would have other contact details for the landlord, they wouldn't give them to you but they might try to call them on an alternate number, maybe. But I would push the Gardaí on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

Environmental Health of county council - noise pollution.

House alarms are nothing but noise pollution and should be banned imo. They are totally ignored unless they are monitored and you could just have a silent monitored alarm which would do the same thing.

The amount of sleepless nights they cause for people in estates is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I heard of a case where frustrated neighbours got access to the ESB meter box and pulled out the main fuse or flipped a switch there. There alarm will have some battery backup, but this will fade after a few hours. This was where the owners had gone off for Xmas holidays and the alarm would have been going for weeks. They came home to find the contents of their freezer in a damp pile on the kitchen floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: Please stop advising criminal activity, such as damaging the box, power supply, etc.

The OP needs to continue to call/text the landlord/unit owner. Try using the council and see if the Gardai can help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement