Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing

Options
  • 11-05-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Okay, I'm 17 years old and my family live in a 3 bedroom counsel house. it's very crowded and we have very little room now that we are all bigger and I want to move out? Does anyone know if I'd be eligible for a counsel house? Starting college in august and I've no other source of income apart from the grant system other than doing a few nights babysitting for a neighbour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I'd doubt it. Go to college, get qualified, get a job, move out and rent or buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I doubt you'd be eligible for a council house, I can't see why you would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

@vetsy97

Why on earth would you think you're entitled to a free house at age of 17 while attending state funded third level education and receiving state grants for the duration of this education?

Many many MANY of us who have gone through the third level system, got jobs, work and pay taxes still can't afford our own rental properties, never mind purchase, and are sharing with others.

Your attitude is all wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

@vetsy97

Why on earth would you think you're entitled to a free house at age of 17 while attending state funded third level education and receiving state grants for the duration of this education?

Many many MANY of us who have gone through the third level system, got jobs, work and pay taxes still can't afford our own rental properties, never mind purchase, and are sharing with others.

Your attitude is all wrong!

When responding to the op. Surely both a little empathy and recollection back to being 17 would provide that insight. They just entered first of college...hardly have life experience necessary to make comparisons like that, and is clearly just trying to find a solution to thier troubles.

Op. You wont get anything. Even severe overcrowding would take years. Their simply isnt the budget, the houses available nor the societal or political will to entertain such generous benefits.
    Your realistic options are go into full time employment..rent...then quit after 2 years and get free education and free rent to get you through college.
    Another option is to get a part time job and see about sharing a room type of situation. Id stick at home if its just a crowding issue. Id lean towards resolving the issues there by spendimg time in college clubs and hobbies and studying late. Hobbies outside the house etc.
    Of course summer provides more opportunity to pick up hours and maybe save enough so that with a part time job you can have a small room somewhere else.

Theres little if nothing available with state aid in your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Vetsy97 wrote: »
    Okay, I'm 17 years old and my family live in a 3 bedroom counsel house. it's very crowded and we have very little room now that we are all bigger and I want to move out? Does anyone know if I'd be eligible for a counsel house? Starting college in august and I've no other source of income apart from the grant system other than doing a few nights babysitting for a neighbour.

You have to have a housing need first .
    Then you could have to wait 10-12 + years depending on circumstances.
    You could literally finish 2 back to back degrees got a well paid job and bought a house in quicker time than waiting to be housed ,
    That's if your actually found to have a housing need at all ,if it's decided you don't have a housing need your entirely on your own .

Advertisement