Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a kid for dual citizenship

Options
  • 11-05-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is having our first born in September, she is Canadian and I'm Irish. The kid will be born in Canada, but I'm just wondering do I have to register the birth in Ireland too or whats the protocol for getting him/her dual citizenship?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Kod-box wrote: »
    My girlfriend is having our first born in September, she is Canadian and I'm Irish. The kid will be born in Canada, but I'm just wondering do I have to register the birth in Ireland too or whats the protocol for getting him/her dual citizenship?

If the child is born in Canada you will need to register them on the foreign births register. You can find full info on dfa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

As the OP is Irish the child is automatically an Irish citizen. The foreign birth register would only be required the next generation down if the OP's grandchild wanted to claim citizenship.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

My son is a dual US/Irish citizen through being born in the US. Only a copy of my passport was required along with his birth cert for his passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

As the OP is Irish the child is automatically an Irish citizen. The foreign birth register would only be required the next generation down if the OP's grandchild wanted to claim citizenship.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

My son is a dual US/Irish citizen through being born in the US. Only a copy of my passport was required along with his birth cert for his passport.

You are correct, its been a while since I've dealt with this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son was born in France, I rang the Irish embassy at the time and they told me he is automatically Irish, there is no registration required, if one of his parents is Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Kod-box wrote: »

You will have to establish paternity before the child obtains anything through you.

Are you in Canada now and will you be there for the birth to acknowledge paternity and sign the documents. Otherwise there is blank space in the father's details.

The child's citizenship will depend on how yours was obtained.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP contact the Irish Embassy in Canada, they deal with these issues regularly and will tell you exactly what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

That all you needed ?

I needed my long form birth cert, passport aswell as his own local documents ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

the_monkey wrote: »
    That all you needed ?

I needed my long form birth cert, passport aswell as his own local documents ..

Yeah. I needed everything too, parents marriage cert, long form birth certs, everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I didn't need any of those documents, but I did apply for the passport from within Ireland (he travelled here on his US one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Looks like I´ll need to do that, I seem to have lost my long form birth cert and I have my second (and last) kid on the way ...

cant get long form birth cert replaced .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Having done this, original long form birth certs of Irish parent and child. Translation may also be required depending on where the child was born and the language of the birth cert. A copy of the childs national ID card and fill in the relevant application form. I think it costs around €16 and the passport is valid for 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My kids were born here but also have Slovak passports.
    We just needed to send our marriage cert and mine and the kids birth certs over which were translated and my wife's documents for them to be registered.

It gives the kids free health insurance till they are 18 which has proved useful with waiting lists here being so long.
    We also got a payment from the Slovak government but that's now tightened up:)

Advertisement