Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new pc, month old 2 big problems

Options
  • 11-05-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

So i have my new pc,
    Only a month old and it has been working great up to now. Been very fast, playing games smoothly etc...

Basically what I wanted in a pc.

I turned it off earlier today, went out, came home turned it on and bam all hell breaks loose.

So the two problems.

1. I can't get a signal from the hdmi cable, its connected straight into my gpu to the monitor, BUT the strange thing is, when I have the HDMI cable connected into the gpu from the monitor as well as the DVI cable connected into the monitor as well, Only then I can pick up the dvi signal, but it auto switchs to hdmi channel when windows loads up.

Now I know what you're thinking, I probably dont have the monitor set to be on the hdmi channel, but it is, it just wont pick up any signal, but when both the hdmi cable as well as the dvi cable are plugged into the pc as well as the monitor together, it picks up the signal on the dvi channel then switchs.
    This never happened before, I dunno why it just started happening today, I tried system restore as well and nothing changed, I plugged everything out and back in and nothing, I changed hdmi cables and nothing, I dont believe its the monitors fault, as it can pick up the signal no problem when both cables are in.
    But just wont pick it up when only the hdmi one is in,

Now when windows is finally loaded up, I can plug out the dvi cable and its grand, I can then use the pc on hdmi, but I dont understand why I need to have this 2nd cable in, I shouldn't need to have it in as well.

2nd Problem.
    Same kinda thing, I went out, turned it off, came home, turned it on
    ITS SLUGGISH, I mean everything is slow, the first 10 mins from loading are normal (apart from the hdmi thing of course)
    But everything just freezes constantly, its like the cpu is been over used or something,
    I checked task manager and everything seems normal, but applications keep freezing, even as I'm typing this, the little arrow (cursor) has a constant loading circle beside it for no bloody reason.

I think the 2 problems might be connected, or I am just having a bad day.
    Either way my pc seems f**ked and I've been trying the last hour to fix it

Updated drivers, deleted loads of stuff, checked fan temp incase it was cpu overheating (its not OC'd by the way) and all is fine on them ends

cheers if anyone helps. My head is fried:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you run a virus scan? Seeing as its only a month old a complete reinstall of windows would hardly be a huge deal if it comes to that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Have you run a virus scan? Seeing as its only a month old a complete reinstall of windows would hardly be a huge deal if it comes to that

i just want to make sure its not a hardware problem
    ya virus scan was done, nothing found

Doesn't sound like it to me, could be wrong though. Have you tried removing the GPU and using onboard graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Don't know about your first problem, but I had a near identical issue to your second last night. Turns of it was caused by an update to Avast. No idea of the in and outs of the problem, but unstalling Avast cleared the issue straight away.

@digital - onboard graphics works no problem when gpu is removed (although not hdmi of course) through dvi
    but like I said the hdmi is only detected when both the dvi cable is plugged in and the hdmi cable, then when windows loads up I can then unplug the dvi cable and can then use the hdmi through the graphics card no problem, its a minor issue compared to the 2nd problem, but I shouldn't have to do it that way, it should detect no problem

@Duiske , I don't have avast installed, didnt install anything over the past 2 days either
    so I don't know what the issue is sadly :(

• Advertisement

Why don't you just stick with DVI? As for the second problem, I'm not sure. It's an odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Any chance your pc took a knock?

Graphics:
    Either way it sounds like something is lose on your computer - more than likely the graphics card.
    Do you have an intergrated graphics card? If so does the integrated graphics card have the same problem.

Loading Icon:
    It looks like there is a process running in the background that is using up all the cpu.
    You said you looked at the task manager but was this as an administrator (you can see all the programs as adminstrator).

(Just a thought but if there is a piece of hardware that is not fully plugged in then windows may be detecting it and may be constantly trying to install the piece of hardware - but as it is not fully connected it never completes the task)

Some specs regarding your pc would be helpful

Why don't you just stick with DVI? As for the second problem, I'm not sure. It's an odd one.

HDMI is used through the graphics card
    so lets say for example, I'm playing cs go

With my hdmi through the graphics card, im getting 300fps
    with dvi its only using on board graphics it wont let me switch to graphics card, and theirfore the game is very stuttery (on high settings)

and even so it should work regardless, its a new pc, its all well and good if I can use the dvi, but if i want to use the hdmi I should be able to without any problems.

I know I'm stubborn, but I can't let go paying 1300 euro for a computer which won't let me use hdmi.

q2ice wrote: »
    Any chance your pc took a knock?

Graphics:
    Either way it sounds like something is lose on your computer - more than likely the graphics card.
    Do you have an intergrated graphics card? If so does the integrated graphics card have the same problem.

Loading Icon:
    It looks like there is a process running in the background that is using up all the cpu.
    You said you looked at the task manager but was this as an administrator (you can see all the programs as adminstrator).

(Just a thought but if there is a piece of hardware that is not fully plugged in then windows may be detecting it and may be constantly trying to install the piece of hardware - but as it is not fully connected it never completes the task)

Some specs regarding your pc would be helpful

opened up the case (it did take a knock, a minor one while moving my leg)
    so I unplugged everything down to the ground and put it back together.
    Same problems persist
    I'll have another look now to be sure I put everything back in but I'd doubt it.

Ya I am the only user on the pc, and my account is set as admin, just shows the cpu jumping up and down on cpu history.

(edit: cpu seems very stable now
    I uninstalled teamspeak3
    and all seems normal for now, I'm gonna run a few applications to see how it handles,
    if it was ts3 thats very very strange as I've had it over a week and no problems

Ok, its fixed.

I uninstalled Teamspeak 3

and now my monitor can detect hdmi no problem, and the pc itself is not sluggish anymore.

How in gods green earth does that work? one application even when not selected, does all that?

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    HDMI is used through the graphics card
    so lets say for example, I'm playing cs go

With my hdmi through the graphics card, im getting 300fps
    with dvi its only using on board graphics it wont let me switch to graphics card, and theirfore the game is very stuttery (on high settings)

and even so it should work regardless, its a new pc, its all well and good if I can use the dvi, but if i want to use the hdmi I should be able to without any problems.

I know I'm stubborn, but I can't let go paying 1300 euro for a computer which won't let me use hdmi.

Thought your card would have a DVI, apologies. Booting any differently with TS3 gone?

Thought your card would have a DVI, apologies. Booting any differently with TS3 gone?

Its back to booting normally, for what ever reason.

No need to apologize, I might of come accross as aggressive but was not towards you, was towards my pc :L if anything you were helping so I appreciate it.

Now another thing (I know I know :pac: )

It turns out that teamspeak was not the cause of the sluggness

it was infact the memory usage
    It continued to be slugish after the teamspeak unistall, so I managed to open up task manager very quickly and check,

Apparently javaws is using up 7gb out of my 8gb memory

So it could actually be a virus, I'll need to download a different anti virus and run another scan
    because thats an insane amount for a java application to use up.

No worries mate, I come across as a knob occasionally. Sure I'm gas the rest of the time :p

Try Malwarebytes with CCleaner afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Check your BIOS/UEFI for an option to disable the on-board graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Its back to booting normally, for what ever reason.

No need to apologize, I might of come accross as aggressive but was not towards you, was towards my pc :L if anything you were helping so I appreciate it.

Now another thing (I know I know :pac: )

It turns out that teamspeak was not the cause of the sluggness

it was infact the memory usage
    It continued to be slugish after the teamspeak unistall, so I managed to open up task manager very quickly and check,

Apparently javaws is using up 7gb out of my 8gb memory

So it could actually be a virus, I'll need to download a different anti virus and run another scan
    because thats an insane amount for a java application to use up.

javaws is using that amount? Thats insane. I have seen this happen with javaw but never with javaws. It usually occurs due to an application not shutting itself down properly. For instance the default action for a JFrame is to hide when the user clicks the close button. The application is still active in the background and would continue to use memoery but not cpu. Multiple calls to the same application followed by multiple "closes" would mean that there are multiple instances of the program running. Did you install any java applications lately?

It could still be a virus. Try rightclicking on the process and clicking details. If the copyright on the process is not legit (I think either Oracle or Sun depending on the version of java running) then its a virus. Just because it says its javaws doesnt mean it is the authentic version - it could be a virus with the same name.

Run tasklist to see if you can identify what applications are running under that process. Type the following command into the command prompt:
    tasklist /SVC

And just for the sake of it here is some info about the tasklist command:
    http://www.computerhope.com/tasklist.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcKing72

Hello

I know exactly what you mean there is nothing Worse

But all is not lost you could try doing a general system restore.

Or just move ahead and completely reset windows with recovery discs (if you have them) it will take a couple of hours to completely reset hard drive but your pc will be like new afterwards Just back up Documents and all that stuff to a big memory Stick First IF you do not know how to reformat system Let me know make Hp Lenovo ect and will try to help you mate PLEASE Let Me Know how it goes. Are you on snap chat my username; is technobud

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcKing72

Hello

I know exactly what you mean there is nothing Worse

But all is not lost you could try doing a general system restore.

Or just move ahead and completely reset windows with recovery discs (if you have them) it will take a couple of hours to completely reset hard drive but your pc will be like new afterwards Just back up Documents and all that stuff to a big memory Stick First IF you do not know how to reformat system Let me know make Hp Lenovo ect and will try to help you mate PLEASE Let Me Know how it goes. Are you on snap chat my username; is technobud

Advertisement