Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soft/Mesh/Puppia type harness

• 11-05-2015 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

(YES another harness thread!! :p) I need to get a harness for Lucy to wear around the house instead of her collar - I've noticed bald patches on her neck over the weekend from either the beginnings or already healed hotspots like she had last year. Her fur is really thick there so I'm assuming not drying/airing after she's had her paddle in the mornings? I've ordered a bigger collar too because she seems to be growing out of the current one.. again(!) which is probably adding to the problem!

I'm thinking of getting a mesh/puppia type one because I think it'll be more comfy for her lounging around than her regular walking harness. Any reviews/opinions of the different kinds? I know they're normally used for smaller dogs so a bit clueless about them :o The XXL Puppia should fit her though It's only for around the house so doesn't need to be that strong or sturdy - just something to hold when opening the door etc and to attach a tag to be safe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Hello tk123,

I'm looking into a second pair of harness too at the moment and I think I will go for these ones

http://www.ebay.de/itm/320990650451?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=510088167606&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I use a very thin plaited kangaroo leather collar for tags. It's rolled like a necklace. Seems to cause less issues with the coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks for the suggestions but I want a mesh harness and am happy with their collars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You could get her a house collar? The dog games shop has the fleece ones (like the perfect fit harness) which are lovely and soft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thing about a harness is that it has a lot more contact with the body than the collar and the mesh type would restrict scratching. A harness is great for outdoors but it causes matting in my cavachon if she has it on for too long. That mightn't be an issue for Lucy - she's a retriever, isn't she?

If the current collar stays damp (what kind is it?) perhaps it's the prolonged contact with that dampness that's causing her problems. Two or three machine-washable tape collars to rotate so that one's always dry might work out better? A wash cycle with some Vanish or equivalent rids bedding, leads etc of any nasties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've already been rotating collars. I use ezydog ones that have neoprene on the inside to wick the water away. Although they'd gotten a bit small that may be the cause of it all - new one is one the way and I have a bigger spare collar on her atm. I was using a chain last year when she was wet but the noise of it was a bit annoying :p also the stigma attached to using a choke chain...even though it's basically a necklace on her with her tag - her lead would never be attached to it!
    She's had her inflatable collar on since the weekend to let a scratch on her eyelid heal so saving her neck at the same time. She loves the inflatable collar and uses it like a neck pillow :p the noise of her snoring would wake dead though lol!

Advertisement