Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does one go about studying Poetry?

• 12-05-2015 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Looking back of how poorly i scored in my pres is devastating also looking back at the different questions that could be asked about a poets poems is frightening too!

I pass HL english quite easy but poetry kills my grade.

Anyone have any tips when studying poetry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Referring to yourself as "one" is a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

The key things to focus on are themes and language. For each poem that I study, I write a page about its themes and the language used. Then when I've finished studying a poet, I look at all these pages and work out which themes and linguistic features appear most often. Then I write a page that summarises everything about the poet - their recurring themes and style of language and which specific poems each point is relevant to, and key moments from their life that served as inspiration. This is the page I use to study from most often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

well key thing I would say is keeping it personal, not just explaining the themes but offering your own take on the poem. Did the poem spark other ideas in you? What did you learn...what do you maybe disagree with..different interpretations of poems. The language of poetry is also v.important in getting the high marks for language. Keep to the point at the same time, as you know, you don't have much time for poetry answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shazwazz927

Quotes, quotes, quotes...plus a bit of backing gloss I suppose

Advertisement