Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

territorial dog

• 12-05-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for training advice. My dog is very very boundary territorial and I'm worried its only a matter of time before he bites someone.Stupid thing is once they are over the boundary he's fine but if anyone approaches the fence or gate he goes mad.

I would've asked someone for help by approaching the boundary and i could reward/correct as necessary the trouble is he's ok if it's someone he knows and I wouldn't dare put a stranger in that position. We have no usable rear garden at the moment so he's using the front.

I should make it clear he can't get out and is fine on the lead. Any suggestions without putting someone at risk?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Don't leave him out unattended. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

piperh wrote: »
    I'm looking for training advice. My dog is very very boundary territorial and I'm worried its only a matter of time before he bites someone.Stupid thing is once they are over the boundary he's fine but if anyone approaches the fence or gate he goes mad.

I would've asked someone for help by approaching the boundary and i could reward/correct as necessary the trouble is he's ok if it's someone he knows and I wouldn't dare put a stranger in that position. We have no usable rear garden at the moment so he's using the front.

I should make it clear he can't get out and is fine on the lead. Any suggestions without putting someone at risk?

Use a muzzle maybe? No bite danger but may still be frightening/traumatic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Springwell wrote: »
    Don't leave him out unattended. It's not worth it.

Thanks, we don't but he moves quicker than me and can be at the boundary before I can. The garden is long and narrow so to keep him on a lead would be very restrictive to him.

A muzzle is being bought today. Never used one but we have to do something.

We have beware of the dog signs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I believe there is legal implications to beware of the dogs signs? It's seen as a n admission your dog is agressive?

Perhaps "loose dog on property" would be better?

If getting a muzzle either go for the Baskerville type or a greyhound racing muzzle. They can't get those off. What sort of dog is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Could you crate him and do some boundary training with strangers approaching - that way no one is at risk? Will he still protect the boundary crated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Could you even temporarily change the boundary? Shorten the distance he can travel and don't let him get up to the edge?

Oh ok thank you I will get them changed. He's a mongrel and around 5 yrs old, he's got worse recently. We have tried putting him straight back inside when he does it but he's not copping on.

No he's not bothered if he's in his crate because we tried that but he can't remain shut in his crate outside.

Shortening the boundary may be an option with some jiggling the entrance used, do you mean train him to respect that boundary? He is good with not crossing them so that might work.

Oh ok thank you I will get them changed. He's a mongrel and around 5 yrs old.

No he's not bothered if he's in his crate because we tried that but he can't remain shut in his crate outside.

Shortening the boundary maybe an option with some jiggling the entrance used, do you mean train him to respect that boundary? He is good with not crossing them so that might work.

If he has a different boundary further away from the general public and is good at respecting it, then it would mean you wouldn't have to muzzle him or take any drastic measures. Regular passers-by would realise pretty quick that he can't get too close and will be more casual and relaxed walking by the property. After a while your dog might get used to them walking there where he isn't allowed to be and might disregard it as an area to be protected. Just an idea!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    If he has a different boundary further away from the general public and is good at respecting it, then it would mean you wouldn't have to muzzle him or take any drastic measures. Regular passers-by would realise pretty quick that he can't get too close and will be more casual and relaxed walking by the property. After a while your dog might get used to them walking there where he isn't allowed to be and might disregard it as an area to be protected. Just an idea!

Thanks ShaSha all ideas and suggestions gratefully received, it's as much about protecting him as the public.

Regular passersby know he can't get out to them over the boundary, we raised it to ensure he couldn't. It's the people approaching it that worries us, the milkman and postman leave the stuff the other side of the fence and know not to enter if he's out. It's people like leaflet distributors and delivery men who approach who are at risk.

He does not appear to be getting used to the passersby and still barks. I have sat outside constantly with him for hours on end rewarding him if he ignores them but it's very rare he does :-/

Thanks ShaSha all ideas and suggestions gratefully received, it's as much about protecting him as the public.

Regular passersby know he can't get out to them over the boundary, we raised it to ensure he couldn't. It's the people approaching it that worries us, the milkman and postman leave the stuff the other side of the fence and know not to enter if he's out. It's people like leaflet distributors and delivery men who approach who are at risk.

He does not appear to be getting used to the passersby and still barks. I have sat outside constantly with him for hours on end rewarding him if he ignores them but it's very rare he does :-/

I wouldn't be terribly experienced. My ex had a dog that was quite territorial and the only way we were able to lessen the extent at all was to repeatedly take him out on a lead to meet the stranger he was barking at. Eventually he met such a string of strange people coming to the door that he almost never was bothered (except in one or two instances with people we didn't particularly like the look of ourselves). My thinking was that, at some point, he had a negative experience with someone passing our house when we weren't looking and since that he felt the need to protect either himself or us (or both). If you're confident of his behaviour on the lead, it might be another option. A stranger will either agree or will refuse, and no harm done if they don't want to participate. But most people who are at least indifferent to dogs will probably not mind :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 castan

This sounds like something to consult a reputable behaviourist who uses only positive methods for tips. I can relate to your situation and it is a worry. The dog thinks he is only doing his job - not much help to you :)

Advertisement