Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasted chickpeas from Lidl

Options
  • 12-05-2015 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Reflexive greed forced my hand out to grab a box of roasted chickpeas in Lidl's Spanish foods special. But what do I do with them? I normally either use tinned chickpeas to make hummous or a spicy chickpea-and-tomatoes dish from Madhur Jaffrey's coda, but how do I use these roasted ones? Advice gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think they're a snack food rather than an ingredient, but I could be wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I vote 'snack' too. Or at least that's all I ever do with roasted chickpeas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Will deploy them in the snack area and see how they fly. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I first roasted chickpeas for a Smitten Kitchen carrot soup recipe, and the chickpeas were a textural contrast topping
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/carrot-soup-with-tahini-and-crisped-chickpeas/

So that's what I roast them for and use them for now, a crunchy topping in things that need a crunch, kinda like where I'd had added roasted nuts in a salad before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I first roasted chickpeas for a Smitten Kitchen carrot soup recipe, and the chickpeas were a textural contrast topping
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/carrot-soup-with-tahini-and-crisped-chickpeas/

So that's what I roast them for and use them for now, a crunchy topping in things that need a crunch, kinda like where I'd had added roasted nuts in a salad before...
    That's interesting. I've a mild nut allergy, and I miss them in salads, so that's an interesting alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

They're for snacking, as you do with popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That sounds awesome, and will be on my list of things to do for salads, if we ever get some salad weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I snacked on one and the whelmage was distinctly under. Might try them in the next salad instead of pine nuts. Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

After reading this thread yesterday I whipped out a can of chickpeas and roasted them with salt and chilli powder and I was underwhelmed too, they went in the bin :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I roast chickpeas sometimes but I used dried ones that have been soaked overnight - never ones from a can.
    I can't imagine canned ones having much texture, but the soaked ones retain a pleasing chewiness when roasted with seasonings and oil. They don't go crispy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I had roasted chickpeas again last night and they were so tasty I had to come back to this thread and reiterate that I think they're worth trying!

The canned small chickpeas from Tesco, well drained and dried on kitchen paper, plenty of oil + salt cumin and smoked paprika in at 220 for at least 10 mins, checking every 3 after that until they're as golden and crunchy as possible...

Advertisement