Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crashed this morning on the N11 at Donnybrook

• 12-05-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Got knocked down outside Donnybrook service station this morning around 8am. Van pulled across me and bang into the side of it I went. Bike seems grand and I am grand apart from a sore hand and a scrape on my leg.

The driver apologised and offered me his details but I didn't see the need as I felt grand. I regret not taking them now. I was kind of in shock and I didn't know what to do. Is there a procedure that should be taken in situations like this?

Should I take details every time regardless of perceived seriousness? I am fine thankfully just a bit spooked from it. My first crash.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If your sure your ok and you've no injuries and your bike is ok and that you don't want to pursue the matter any further then his details are sort of irrelevant at this stage. You'd only need them if you were pursing a claim for injuries or damage or if you wanted to make a complaint to gardai about his driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Always take the details. It only takes a few seconds to snap a photo of the car reg and insurance disc at a minimum. Glad you're OK.

I saw what appeared to be the aftermath of a crash on Ballinteer Ave yesterday morning, at the junction with Mayfield Terrace. The cyclist was sitting up by the wall, and somebody had given him the stereotypical tartan rug to keep him warm. It looked like he was waiting for an ambulance. Hope he's OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

If your sure your ok and you've no injuries and your bike is ok and that you don't want to pursue the matter any further then his details are sort of irrelevant at this stage. You'd only need them if you were pursing a claim for injuries or damage or if you wanted to make a complaint to gardai about his driving.

No I am grand, couple of scrapes on my legs and a bang on my hand. Gonna go out and give the bike a good once over at lunch time. I cycled on from donnybrook and didn't notice any issues.

I did manage to slow down just before impact so it wasn't as bad as it might have been. His driving was worrying but he admitted fault straight away etc and offered me his details so I think it was just a momentary lapse of judgement on his behalf.

It would knock your confidence a bit when this happens. Two years cycling in Dublin and that was my first non ice related accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I once spoke to a guy who'd come off his motorcycle avoiding a pedestrian. He was a bit shaken but told me he was grand and went on his way.

A few days later he called me from the hospital. He'd gone to work sat down at his desk and three hours later couldn't get back up.

Broken pelvis.

Adrenaline is a hell of a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Deedsie wrote: »
    Got knocked down outside Donnybrook service station this morning around 8am. Van pulled across me and bang into the side of it I went. Bike seems grand and I am grand apart from a sore hand and a scrape on my leg.

The driver apologised and offered me his details but I didn't see the need as I felt grand. I regret not taking them now. I was kind of in shock and I didn't know what to do. Is there a procedure that should be taken in situations like this?

Should I take details every time regardless of perceived seriousness? I am fine thankfully just a bit spooked from it. My first crash.

Absolutely. Take details and report it to the Gardai. Even if you don't wish to proceed with it. They should record it and if you wish to proceed at a future date, you have the information you need ;)

What if you had seriously damaged your hand but didn't notice it until later? Same with your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F50kRViqITs#t=1m20s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It certainly is. I rode 17km home with a fractured hip. You can't trust how you feel immediately after an accident.

Well fingers crossed I won't ever have to worry about it again but in future I will be taking details etc. I like cycling to work but parts of the N11 are just deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Just to confirm the effect of shock/adrenaline on your ability to perceive injury, I cycled home with a broken wrist after a crash a few years ago...

Always take details at the scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I cycle and drive, just make sure you can be seen.
    It's hard for a driver at times to spot a cyclist, especially one who is going quite fast in dense traffic.
    Cyclists should be aware of vehicles changing lanes and pulling out of junctions etc especially if they are traveling fast in dense traffic, with no light, and if the sky is overcast or there is rain.
    There's my tuppence ha'penny worth. We all have to share the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Always take details. There may be a crack in the frame or something similar that you don't see until later or indeed a crack in a bone.

I cycle and drive, just make sure you can be seen.
    It's hard for a driver at times to spot a cyclist, especially one who is going quite fast in dense traffic.
    Cyclists should be aware of vehicles changing lanes and pulling out of junctions etc especially if they are traveling fast in dense traffic, with no light, and if the sky is overcast or there is rain.
    There's my tuppence ha'penny worth. We all have to share the road.

I appreciate that Brian but when a motorist pulls across a cycle lane without looking and I smash into the side of them I am not thinking about sharing the road. I wasn't going fast having just taken off from the traffic lights before the service station. It was a perfectly clear morning, he just didn't look before he turned. I agree with everything you say above but in no way does it relate to this situation.

Edit: My poor glove took the brunt of the damage to my hand.

I wasn't talking about you in my post, my post was a general one to all road-users.
    You said the guy apologised, that's cool, things happen at times. Get well soon and get back on the bike ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I appreciate that Brian but when a motorist pulls across a cycle lane without looking and I smash into the side of them I am not thinking about sharing the road. I wasn't going fast having just taken off from the traffic lights before the service station. It was a perfectly clear morning, he just didn't look before he turned. I agree with everything you say above but in no way does it relate to this situation.

Edit: My poor glove took the brunt of the damage to my hand.

In case bike is damaged or your injured I'd do the following immediately as a precaution.
    *Report to Gardai, giving as much detail as you can. Get Garda's name and keep a record
    * Ask Service station manager for look at CCTV, ask him to preserve it and get reg of van.

ford2600 wrote: »
    In case bike is damaged or your injured I'd do the following immediately as a precaution.
    *Report to Gardai, giving as much detail as you can. Get Garda's name and keep a record
    * Ask Service station manager for look at CCTV, ask him to preserve it and get reg of van.

Going to bring the bike for a checkup/service this evening. I am doing a charity 100km cycle Saturday so I need to make sure it is 100% right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Going to bring the bike for a checkup/service this evening. I am doing a charity 100km cycle Saturday so I need to make sure it is 100% right.

The Cycle4DSI Lap De Gaps?.. I'm doing it myself if I can get out to Blessington on time, I'm coming off a nightshift on Saturday morning so it'll be a struggle :(

Except that it's not.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Except that it's not.

Is it, to deny that is pure silly and if you don't take that into account when you're riding your bike you're a silly person.. Its why we have to make the effort to make ourselves more visible to the motorist, and ride defensively.

If you really think we're easily seen you're deluding yourself, we're not easily seen at all.

The Cycle4DSI Lap De Gaps?.. I'm doing it myself if I can get out to Blessington on time, I'm coming off a nightshift on Saturday morning so it'll be a struggle :(

No it's a charity cycle for Motor Neurone Disease awareness from Nenagh to Galway.

Sorry I should have replied to the OP.

Always take the details of the other driver in the event of an accident.

I can't relate to injuries like some of the others have, but my son was parked in a car outside his job. A delivery van reversed into him, but seemingly didn't cause any damage.

A few days later I was about to service the car for him and noticed some screws missing from a bar at the radiator, a neighbour is a panel beater so I asked him if he'd any replacements.. He looked at the car, asked had there been an accident recently, we explained what had happened ~ (it was an older car) and the neighbour explained that it was a reenforcing bar, it had done its job but because of the age and cost value of the car that an insurance inspector would write the car off.

My son hadn't taken the vans details, and his car was a write off :(

• Advertisement

No it's a charity cycle for Motor Neurone Disease awareness from Nenagh to Galway.

Best of luck with it, I hope you're having better weather over in the west.

Hope the bike isn't damaged too, be safe.

Best of luck with it, I hope you're having better weather over in the west.

Hope the bike isn't damaged too, be safe.

This is the third time we have done it. I checked the bike again at lunch time and to my untrained eye it seems grand. Still going to drop it in for a quick once over.

Thanks for all the replies, I will be sure to always take the details in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Were you cycling a bike with drop bars or flat bars. Personally I feel drop bars are not safe in traffic as it takes you longer to get to the brakes.
    Don't envy anyone commuting in the city. It just isn't suitable to have bikes and heavy vehicles so close to each other.
    I would agree with the poster above re taking a photo of scene and reporting to garda station. If you have any issue afterwards you are covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Geez....broken Hips, broken Pelvis, cars written off! While all these things can happen, nobody but the OP knows how badly he/she is hurt. (though I suspect your fine if your in work and posting on boards) take it easy today. see how you feel tomorrow. If your have any concerns, go to your local GP and get your self checked out.

I had a similar incident two years ago. A van turning right and I braked but it was too late. I hit the side of the van and landed in a heap in the middle of the road. NO INJURIES WHATSOEVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Geez....broken Hips, broken Pelvis, cars written off! While all these things can happen, nobody but the OP knows how badly he/she is hurt. (though I suspect your fine if your in work and posting on boards) take it easy today. see how you feel tomorrow. If your have any concerns, go to your local GP and get your self checked out.

I had a similar incident two years ago. A van turning right and I braked but it was too late. I hit the side of the van and landed in a heap in the middle of the road. NO INJURIES WHATSOEVER.

That'd be why people are recommending recording his insurance details rather than say, pre-emptively revenge killing his whole family.

Re: Riding on Drops in traffic I do it every day, and far more safely than most people on flay bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Were you cycling a bike with drop bars or flat bars. Personally I feel drop bars are not safe in traffic as it takes you longer to get to the brakes.

What are you talking about? My hands are on my brakes/shifters almost the whole time in traffic. And I rarely see anyone in the drops around town.
    Don't envy anyone commuting in the city. It just isn't suitable to have bikes and heavy vehicles so close to each other.

God bless the Port Tunnel.

Rubbish!

I would agree with the poster above re taking a photo of scene and reporting to garda station. If you have any issue afterwards you are covered.

I cycle with drop bars. I had 0.5 seconds to react. I cycle extremely safely and defensively. I got cut off, nothing I could have done bar smash into him which I did. Drop bars, flat bars would be the exact same result.

That'd be why people are recommending recording his insurance details rather than say, pre-emptively revenge killing his whole family.

To clarify..I was not suggesting that the OP does not get insurance details in future. All I was saying was that its unlikely he has a broken hip/pelvis or that the van or his bike is a write off.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    Except that it's not.

There I was thinking that my safety announcement was way too much and that all drivers and cyclists know that it can be difficult to see cyclists at certain times. I'm glad I said it now.
    Is it, to deny that is pure silly and if you don't take that into account when you're riding your bike you're a silly person.. Its why we have to make the effort to make ourselves more visible to the motorist, and ride defensively.

If you really think we're easily seen you're deluding yourself, we're not easily seen at all.

Well said Diana Dry Realtor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

@07Lapierre I was only making the important point that I am a badass. Surely that's something we can all agree on ;)

@07Lapierre I was only making the important point that I am a badass. Surely that's something we can all agree on ;)

No your a big softie under that tough exterior! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you're behaving predictably, it's more down to driver inattention or distraction than your conspicuity though (barring darkness or fog).

You'll find you're much more easily seen on a road where drivers aren't constantly looking for gaps in traffic and mentally willing such gaps into existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

No matter how bright you make yourself, a bad driver still won't see you. This happened to me last week. Luckily I managed to stop in time, but if you look at my right hand brake you can see the reflection of my luminous jacket in his car.

2wnpsht.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

ozzy jr wrote: »
    No matter how bright you make yourself, a bad driver still won't see you. This happened to me last week. Luckily I managed to stop in time, but if you look at my right hand brake you can see the reflection of my luminous jacket in his car.

2wnpsht.jpg
    Well that would likely be a part of riding defensively as Makikomi mentioned, would it not? Trying to keep an eye out for unexpected/dangerous behaviour from other road users?
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    If you're behaving predictably, it's more down to driver inattention or distraction than your conspicuity though (barring darkness or fog).

You'll find you're much more easily seen on a road where drivers aren't constantly looking for gaps in traffic and mentally willing such gaps into existence.

You could equally say you are much more easily seen on a road with less visual clutter and distraction (other traffic's behaviour needing to be watched). One of these phrasing suggests the cyclist can do nothing to make themselves more visible, the other acknowledges they can, and while I'm not an advocate of high-vis in the dark over lights, or see it as the be all and end all for cyclists (frequently don't wear it myself, but that's my choice, and I tend to cycle as though nobody can see me anyway), I can certainly see how bright colours will make a cyclist stand out more from said visual clutter in a traffic-heavy urban environment, and that can only be a good thing for the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I was riding defensively believe it or not. The crazy thing about that incident was, we were sitting beside each other at a red light about 100m up the road. On green I moved away first. He came from behind me, passed me and then cut me off.

I tapped on his window and asked him what happened and he said he didn't see me! Crazy stuff. Rather then get into a row, I asked him for his email address and told him I'd send him the video.

He was all apologies at the time and when he looked at clip.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've watched many YouTube videos of helmet cam footage on clear days where the cyclist was wearing high-vis and using at least one flashing front light and the well-used phrase "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You" (aka SMIDSY) is said or comes to mind.

Here's one of many examples:

"I approach this mini roundabout with caution, front light flashing, hi vis jacket on, and clearly indicated, but somehow this lady driver appears not to see me."

A few other examples:

2 front lights and I wear a bright orange jacket:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Firstly, hope the OP is still feeling ok.

The above quoted text is only relevant between dusk and dawn when cyclists need to be ultra cautious. For day time, it's a sad day when a cyclist needs to cycle defensively at all times.

I drive, I cycle. As a cyclist, I know I should not do anything erratic, and must always signal my intent clearly and in advance. As a motorist, I must be aware of all road users at all times, and factor in some unpredictability. However, I have no problem seeing cyclists because I am looking for them.

Motorists that are not aware of, or are not looking for cyclists are the cause of the vast majority of incidents involving cyclists. If a car comes from behind, and pulls across (in front of) a cyclist, normally at speed, often without indicating, sometimes against a filter light, as a cyclist, what can you do to mitigate the potential incident bar getting off the bike and walking on the pavement? If that is the only course of action, does it not defeat the purpose of cycling and having rules of the road that apply to all users?

Motorists therefore need to make sure they are aware of, and are looking for cyclists at all times. This "I did not see you" is akin to the "the dog ate my homework" excuse. Or put simpler, an excuse for driving without due care and attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

cython wrote: »
    One of these phrasing suggests the cyclist can do nothing to make themselves more visible, the other acknowledges they can

Getting into hi-viz megathread territory now, but I'm increasingly reluctant to cede the notion that cyclists are hard to see. They place different demands on car-users' attentiveness because they are slower and -- even for the most VC-compliant cyclist -- have different road-positioning, which can take a driver by surprise, if they are careless or distracted. They are not, however, actually, physically, hard to see, and hi-viz's effect on collisions, based on the studies I've seen, is very modest, possibly close to zero, probably because conspicuity is not the actual problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

monument wrote: »
    the well-used phrase "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You" (aka SMIDSY) is said or comes to mind.
    was it on this forum i read about a motorcyclist in the UK who borrowed a police jacket from a friend, and found the 'sorry mate i didn't see you' incidents simply stopped happening?

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »

2wnpsht.jpg

I had a similar incident at that very same spot last year. It was broad daylight, clear day, perfect visibility. I was visible, obeying all the rules, going straight, with the right of way in the cycle lane /bus lane. A motorist came from behind me in the bus lane ( traffic offence) and ;

1. Pulled across in front of me (offence)
    2. Had no indicator or hazard light lit to signal their intention to other road users (offence)
    3. Was on mobile phone (offence)

I slammed on brakes but had to go into the parking bay with the car as there was nowhere else to go. The motorist then abused me for touching their car....and drove off. So much for wanting to go to the shop! I got the reg and reported them. Motorist got a formal caution. More cyclists should report these incidents-it may save a life one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

OP, I'm not a doctor, but I think you should get your hand looked at by one. There are a lot of small bones in your wrist. One of them, the scaphoid bone, is a common site of fractures for cyclists/motorcyclists who fall and extend their hands to break their fall, especially at lower speeds. Good quality motorcycle gloves have anti-friction pads to encourage the hand to slide along the road and reduce the likelihood of a fracture.

A scaphoid fracture is notoriously difficult to fully diagnose, it can be very hard to see in an x-Ray until it has started to heal, maybe 2/3 weeks after the fracture. The consequences of an undiagnosed scaphoid fracture can be very severe as the bone can die and seriously impede wrist and hand mobility. If things get that far there's no getting back. As a result suspected possible scaphoid fractures are treated very conservatively, basically assuming a fracture exists and casting the hand just in case. This happened to me and I am forever grateful to a diligent a and e doc who I tried to convince I was grand but who insisted I should be casted. Three weeks later the healing fracture was clearly visible on the x-Rays despite being impossible to see on the early ones.
    Again, not a doctor, and probably seriously in breach of forum rules re medical advice, but in essence my advice is seek medical advice.

Rb

The two are not mutually exclusive. Yes, it makes perfect sense to ride defensively, and I do. That doesn't change the fact that it's not hard to see bikes in traffic, provided that you look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Being a motorcyclist long before I took up cycling has been of huge benefit to me. You just get used to thinking for yourself and everyone else. Expect the worst at all times, so you are prepared. And that doesn't mean driving or cycling like Ms Daisy, it just means being highly alert and prepared.

terrydel wrote: »
    Being a motorcyclist long before I took up cycling has been of huge benefit to me. You just get used to thinking for yourself and everyone else. Expect the worst at all times, so you are prepared. And that doesn't mean driving or cycling like Ms Daisy, it just means being highly alert and prepared.

I drove a motor bike for Two years and would agree with most of that. Anticipation is key, and the day you go out thinking you have motorcycling or cycling cracked may be the day you do not see the end of.

That said, as a cyclist, nothing can or will prepare you for a car coming from behind, that suddenly decides to pull across you or just passes you and then stops without warning as if you were not there.

As a motorcyclist that is unlikely to happen because you are generally travelling faster and thus harder to overtake in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My thoughts on why people "don't see" cyclists.
    • We're smaller than cars, although usually taller - We may not register when people throw a quick glance over one shoulder.
    • Our movement patterns are different, we move slower some of the time but we keep moving when everything else stops - this can mean drivers expect a gap when they shouldn't
    • We move off quicker than a car - again cyclists can close a gap quicker than they might expect
    • A lot of drivers grossly underestimate how fast a bike moves - once they overtake a bike they think we'll never catch up to them so they go ahead and left-hook the bike
    • They think we can stop on a dime - since we move so slow we will be able to stop for them and we won't mind either.

I think a lot of "I didn't see you" incidents should really be "I saw you but I thought I'd make it"

I spend far more time in my car than on my bike but I believe the few close shaves I've had on the bike have made me a better driver.

If cycling a few laps of a busy town was a prerequisite to getting a driving licence I think we would produce a far higher standard of driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Agree with this completely. Years cycling and motorcycling before I got a car aged 26 taught me an appreciation for other road users.

SMIDSY = driving without due care and attention. It should be an admission of guilt, not an excuse.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Firstly, hope the OP is still feeling ok.

The above quoted text is only relevant between dusk and dawn when cyclists need to be ultra cautious. For day time, it's a sad day when a cyclist needs to cycle defensively at all times.

I drive, I cycle. As a cyclist, I know I should not do anything erratic, and must always signal my intent clearly and in advance. As a motorist, I must be aware of all road users at all times, and factor in some unpredictability. However, I have no problem seeing cyclists because I am looking for them.

Motorists that are not aware of, or are not looking for cyclists are the cause of the vast majority of incidents involving cyclists. If a car comes from behind, and pulls across (in front of) a cyclist, normally at speed, often without indicating, sometimes against a filter light, as a cyclist, what can you do to mitigate the potential incident bar getting off the bike and walking on the pavement? If that is the only course of action, does it not defeat the purpose of cycling and having rules of the road that apply to all users?

Motorists therefore need to make sure they are aware of, and are looking for cyclists at all times. This "I did not see you" is akin to the "the dog ate my homework" excuse. Or put simpler, an excuse for driving without due care and attention.

Just a quick update, I am grand today but I was a bit winded last night. Chest felt a bit compressed and I had a general uneasy feeling. Much improved today though. Brought the bike to the bike shop last night and there was no structural damage thankfully. Cycled in this morning and was a bit more conservative going through Donnybrook. But felt grand throughout the cycle.
    Red Belly wrote: »
    OP, I'm not a doctor, but I think you should get your hand looked at by one. There are a lot of small bones in your wrist. One of them, the scaphoid bone, is a common site of fractures for cyclists/motorcyclists who fall and extend their hands to break their fall, especially at lower speeds. Good quality motorcycle gloves have anti-friction pads to encourage the hand to slide along the road and reduce the likelihood of a fracture.

A scaphoid fracture is notoriously difficult to fully diagnose, it can be very hard to see in an x-Ray until it has started to heal, maybe 2/3 weeks after the fracture. The consequences of an undiagnosed scaphoid fracture can be very severe as the bone can die and seriously impede wrist and hand mobility. If things get that far there's no getting back. As a result suspected possible scaphoid fractures are treated very conservatively, basically assuming a fracture exists and casting the hand just in case. This happened to me and I am forever grateful to a diligent a and e doc who I tried to convince I was grand but who insisted I should be casted. Three weeks later the healing fracture was clearly visible on the x-Rays despite being impossible to see on the early ones.
    Again, not a doctor, and probably seriously in breach of forum rules re medical advice, but in essence my advice is seek medical advice.

Rb

Hi Rb,

Thanks for taking the time to write this. My girlfriend is a physio and she had the same concern as you. Gave me a full check up last night and thinks I am fine and that we will keep an eye on the hand. But there is no pain whatsoever in it today so I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Thanks again for all the replies. Careful out there.

It should be:

1.Learn to cycle
    2.Learn to ride a Motorbike
    3.Learn to drive a car
    4.Learn to Drive a Rigid Truck
    5.Learn to Drive a HGV

If you want to driver a Car: 1-3
    if you want to drive a HGV: 1-5
    (at the moment to drive a HGV you only need 3-5)

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That said, as a cyclist, nothing can or will prepare you for a car coming from behind, that suddenly decides to pull across you or just passes you and then stops without warning as if you were not there.

True statement.
    Just to make it clear when I said cyclists were hard to see at times, I didn't mean it as an excuse for inattentive driving from some motorists.

I still see people sending text messages and dialing while driving - not as much these days, but still an occurrence. In city traffic the driver will more than likely be grand following a collision, but a pedestrian or cyclist will most certainly be not.

As a driver I was just about to leave a junction turning left when a cyclist appeared to be turning right (he was stationed at the right hand corner of the stop line). I looked at him, He never signaled to me and all indications showed that he was turning right. When the road cleared I began to move and this guy comes into my view crossing directly in front of me. The only reason I stopped and did not run into him was because I looked to see if he was actually turning right. If I had taken a sip out of my coffee, he was on the ground or across the bonnet. He stopped to glare at me. I quite rightly - in my opinion - called him a "****ing idiot" and I asked him "was he looking for an insurance claim, because he'd have one for assault and battery if he didn't **** off." He cycled off, never even said a word.

As a cyclist I was knocked from my bike when a car passenger opened their door with accompanying screams of "NOOOOO" from both the driver and myself. Worst thing about that was there was a railing on my left and a car door on my right. The car door hit my front wheel and drove it into the railing. If the traffic was moving I would have been traveling faster and I would have ended up over the handle bars, but thankfully I was moving at a walking pace. I hurt my hand as it hit the car door on the narrowest edge near the window. The lady asked me where I had come from and the driver - perhaps her daughter - was extremely apologetic and considerate. I explained that I heard her shouting at her passenger. It is not always drivers who are inattentive or inconsiderate.

As a pedestrian I was midway across a pelican crossing when a car kept coming and wasn't stopping. I said to myself this will be expensive for this guy and I stopped walking. He slammed on the brake and the car stopped an inch from me. He said he didn't see me. Now that was a dozy driver. I had stepped onto the pelican crossing when my side was clear and his car was about 20 metres from those black and white lines. When I was three quarters of the way across, he was about two metres from me and he was still coming. That's when I stopped. That's when he stopped. I leaned on his bonnet and pointed to where I had just left. It was a primary school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement