Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crashed this morning on the N11 at Donnybrook

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I haven't read the whole thread, but my 2p worth - I was knocked off in December, in shock for a few mins, I ranted and raved at the very scared lady. Then I calmed down, took her details and told her everything seemed fine, and we went our separate ways. Later on I noticed I couldn't engage the large ring on FD, brought bike to shop - it was out of alignment and hairline cracks.

So, always get details, tell them that you will need to get bike looked over too and that bills will be forwarded. I got full cost of replacement bike from the lady.

This is assuming that you are not physically hurt of course, which luckily I wasn't in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That said, as a cyclist, nothing can or will prepare you for a car coming from behind, that suddenly decides to pull across you or just passes you and then stops without warning as if you were not there.
    Yes and no. Regular and frequent over-the-shoulder lifesaver checks will prepare you for cars coming from behind. Most of the time, I've a good idea of how close and how fast the car coming from behind is.

There is indeed the risk of them doing something unexpected once they pass, but cars passing should not be a surprise in itself.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I think a lot of "I didn't see you" incidents should really be "I saw you but I thought I'd make it"
    Fully agree, particularly for faster cyclists. Lots of drivers see a cyclist and assume that cyclist = slow, therefore they go ahead with their manoeuvre, and the cyclist ends up having to brake or adjust course to accommodate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Then I calmed down, took her details and told her everything seemed fine, and we went our separate ways. Later on I noticed I couldn't engage the large ring on FD, brought bike to shop - it was out of alignment and hairline cracks.

I didn't take someone's details once and then 100m up the road my rear derailleur fell off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I drove a motor bike for Two years and would agree with most of that. Anticipation is key, and the day you go out thinking you have motorcycling or cycling cracked may be the day you do not see the end of.

That said, as a cyclist, nothing can or will prepare you for a car coming from behind, that suddenly decides to pull across you or just passes you and then stops without warning as if you were not there.

As a motorcyclist that is unlikely to happen because you are generally travelling faster and thus harder to overtake in the first place.

Not generally mate, always :D
    120hp on a 190kg bike is a wonderful thing!
    Ive always said the power is as much a benefit as it is dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

terrydel wrote: »
    Not generally mate, always :D .

Wrong, but let's not pick holes or post for the sake of it.

The extra power is great but only when used appropriately. I see motorbikes going slow or slowing all the time while cars pass them by. It's quite normal. If you never slow, maybe you should, when the need arrises or conditions warrant it.

Finally, call me K or Kaisr, but not 'mate' - it's a bit condescending.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It should be:

1.Learn to cycle
    2.Learn to ride a Motorbike
    3.Learn to drive a car
    4.Learn to Drive a Rigid Truck
    5.Learn to Drive a HGV

If you want to driver a Car: 1-3
    if you want to drive a HGV: 1-5
    (at the moment to drive a HGV you only need 3-5)

Maybe learn to walk first?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can we just knock this on the head please.
    It's getting a bit trite?
    Same old same old.........

Advertisement