Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Buggy/Pram

Options
  • 12-05-2015 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

I know this has probably been asked loads of times but looking for some ideas. We have a little girl and she is going 2 in August, due number 2 at end of June. We purchased a Bugaboo Cameleon and love it to be honest. It is great. Really we had planned on just keeping it for baby 2 and hopefully little one would be walking but she still will jump in and out of it a fair bit when out walking etc so I think we need to invest in double buggy.

The Bugaboo Donkey would be perfect but it is way out of budget. We spent 1k on the Cameleon so don't want to be spending huge money again. I have checked for second hand and still very expensive.

So looking for alternative. We went to Tony Kealys and my wife liked the look of the Out N About Double but I am finding it hard to get a decent one second hand. Again new is really out of budget.

Just wondering what alternatives are out there? what do people recommend?

Really we are looking for something which has the 2 year old looking out, she wont sit in buggy if she is not looking around. Very nosey. So that kind of rules out the Phil & Ted which was our original choice but I dont think she will sit in it.

Any ideas would be great? as mentioned we are probably not going to buy new as we are trying to keep our budget to around 250

Also looking for something which is not too big, the Out N About v1 at 77cm width is too big....the V2 at 72cm would be perfect....:P

Ark ward I know:D:D:D:D:D

Not hung up on names etc...just a good buggy

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have the v1 out n about nipper for the last 5 years.
    It is brilliant,I have had kids go through it normally 3 at a time in it and i can not fault it.
    I did see someone with a new one the other day and it is very pretty..and has 2 separate sunshades.
    I have tried the bugaboo donkey and it was awkward and clunky and I did not like it at all.
    The baby jogger doubles are very popular too.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Hello,
    I spent ages and ages researching buggies when pregnant with #1. When pregnant with #2 I was reluctant to get into obsessive researching again and was fortunate enough to have lunch one day with one of the women in work who had had twins around the time my #1 was born, so she told me about this buggy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Jogger-Double-Black-Cream/dp/B004J33JWA

She said she found it brilliant, did loads of walking with it, so I went out to her boot had a goo, thought it looked great. Did a small amount of googling to confirm the good review and got one second hand on adverts. We bought a soft carrycot like this from mothercare http://www.mothercare.ie/pushchairs/pushchair-accessories/carrycots/phil-and-ted-039-s-vibe-cocoon-black-silver-1.html which we placed into one fully reclined seat when #2 was newborn.

It worked brilliantly for us (there is a 23 month gap between our 2). Our 5 year old still actually fits in it. We use it very rarely now as they are 5 & 3 and can walk a good distance themselves. We were actually debating last night whether we'll bring it on hols in August. Really the 5 year old is too old for a buggy but in the heat and with a bit of a walk to the beach it might be handy to have it. Plus it is so handy for putting all the beach stuff in!!

If we decided not to bring it you'll probably see it on adverts soon!
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have the v1 out n about nipper for the last 5 years.
    It is brilliant,I have had kids go through it normally 3 at a time in it and i can not fault it.
    I did see someone with a new one the other day and it is very pretty..and has 2 separate sunshades.
    I have tried the bugaboo donkey and it was awkward and clunky and I did not like it at all.
    The baby jogger doubles are very popular too.

Thanks for reply. The size of the v1 is the issue my wife seems to have. Do you find it difficult when getting around?

I don't mind it not fitting in doors in house but is it an issue when out in shops etc?

HelgaWard wrote: »
    Hello,
    I spent ages and ages researching buggies when pregnant with #1. When pregnant with #2 I was reluctant to get into obsessive researching again and was fortunate enough to have lunch one day with one of the women in work who had had twins around the time my #1 was born, so she told me about this buggy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Jogger-Double-Black-Cream/dp/B004J33JWA

If we decided not to bring it you'll probably see it on adverts soon!
    Best of luck!

Thanks for advice, would you believe I was just looking at one of these last night on adverts but it was already sold :(

No chance you would sell your now? :P

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Thanks for advice, would you believe I was just looking at one of these last night on adverts but it was already sold :(

No chance you would sell your now? :P

I'll have a chat to my hubby and see, will let you know if we are. If we're not bringing on hols we should sell it. Literally have not used it this year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would also recommend the baby jogger city mini. We have a 2 year old and 1 year old so definitely needed to purchase a double! We had a bugaboo Cameleon for our son. I actually sold this and as it was so new (1year old but only used for 6 months) got €700 for it on adverts! I didn't sell the whole travel system and kept the car seat and isofix that came with it. So sold the pram and cover and got €700. With that I bought a brand new city mini double which was I think €450. As helgaward said you can also buy a carrycot with this. However, it not really necessary as the seat is fine from birth. I just out my baby straight into the seat with a footmuff and she was fine. I also then bought the single babyjogger city mini (€279 in sale) which is also a fab fab buggy! So we have a brand new double and a single for only slightly more than I sold the bugaboo for. Only thing to keep in mind with the babyjoggers is that you need to buy the car seat adapters and raincover separately which will add a few euro on aswell.

FWIW after using the babyjogger I would never go back to the bugaboo. The bugaboos look great... But the city minis are waaaay easier, versatile and lighter to use! Especially when you have 2 babies!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I would also recommend the baby jogger city mini. We have a 2 year old and 1 year old so definitely needed to purchase a double! We had a bugaboo Cameleon for our son. I actually sold this and as it was so new (1year old but only used for 6 months) got €700 for it on adverts! I didn't sell the whole travel system and kept the car seat and isofix that came with it. So sold the pram and cover and got €700. With that I bought a brand new city mini double which was I think €450. As helgaward said you can also buy a carrycot with this. However, it not really necessary as the seat is fine from birth. I just out my baby straight into the seat with a footmuff and she was fine. I also then bought the single babyjogger city mini (€279 in sale) which is also a fab fab buggy! So we have a brand new double and a single for only slightly more than I sold the bugaboo for. Only thing to keep in mind with the babyjoggers is that you need to buy the car seat adapters and raincover separately which will add a few euro on aswell.

FWIW after using the babyjogger I would never go back to the bugaboo. The bugaboos look great... But the city minis are waaaay easier, versatile and lighter to use! Especially when you have 2 babies!

Thanks.....more great advice, must have a look at one. Just wondering how wide are they? I guess they are smaller than 72cm?

Just found the following:
    Folded dimensions: 28.5 x 76 x 78.5 cm
    Unfolded: 105.5 x 76 x 98 cm

Looks like they are 76cm wide? Just wondering do they fit in doors in house? I would have expected it to be smaller than the Out N About 72cm models....

They fit through all the doors in my house,(well downstairs anyway, never tried upstairs!!) and never had any trouble getting it in any doors, shops restaurants etc.

It fits through our front door and we put the kids in it there. The other internal doors in the house would be a but narrow. But we wouldn't go wheeling it through the house anyway :). We usually just keep it in the hallway or in the car boot as double buggies take up a bit of space. Ive never had a problem getting it through doors of shops either. Actually there was a problem twice in the past 2 years where the shop door was one of those really really old fashion narrow ones. But never a problem otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We had a v2 out and about. Got it second hand no problem. There are 4 of them on adverts at the moment going for around 300.

They hold the value pretty well. We sold ours there about a month ago for what we bought it for, after a year of use.

It fits through our front door and we put the kids in it there. The other internal doors in the house would be a but narrow. But we wouldn't go wheeling it through the house anyway :). We usually just keep it in the hallway or in the car boot as double buggies take up a bit of space. Ive never had a problem getting it through doors of shops either. Actually there was a problem twice in the past 2 years where the shop door was one of those really really old fashion narrow ones. But never a problem otherwise.

I was wondering could any of you just measure the width of the City Mini?

I am not sure about the 76 measurement as I have seen mention of 71cm. Just wondering can it fit in through an internal door?

Thanks

I was wondering could any of you just measure the width of the City Mini?

I am not sure about the 76 measurement as I have seen mention of 71cm. Just wondering can it fit in through an internal door?

Thanks

Sure I'll measure mine tomorrow morning for u as its out in the car now.

Sure I'll measure mine tomorrow morning for u as its out in the car now.

Thanks a million!!!! :D:D

Thanks a million!!!! :D:D

Sorry only getting back now! So I measures and its 75.5cm at the widest parts! So it must be a few cms wider than the nipper. As I said tho we've never had a problem getting it through doors. Our front door is 77cm wide. Our internal doors are a bit narrower. But all you need is to get it in the front door really.

Sorry only getting back now! So I measures and its 75.5cm at the widest parts! So it must be a few cms wider than the nipper. As I said tho we've never had a problem getting it through doors. Our front door is 77cm wide. Our internal doors are a bit narrower. But all you need is to get it in the front door really.

Yeah that is prefect, thanks again for doing that

Wife went to look at City Mini today in Mamas & Papas just to check it out

They are not stocking it anymore which is a bit of a surprise.....it was in the Blanchardstown so not a small shop either

They still have online but not in store

Mothercare stock the city mini double and usually have sales every so often with €50 off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

A bit of a sidetrack question - but can anyone give advice on whether I will need a double buggy for my two? My son will be 22 months when the new baby comes. Hubby thinks the 22 month old will be finished with a buggy by then and that a double buggy would be a waste of money - but I am not so sure...

A bit of a sidetrack question - but can anyone give advice on whether I will need a double buggy for my two? My son will be 22 months when the new baby comes. Hubby thinks the 22 month old will be finished with a buggy by then and that a double buggy would be a waste of money - but I am not so sure...

We are in same position. My original plan was to buy the Easy X Rider but there is new version coming out and there is no of older or new version in stock anywhere. Plus There are £100 plus so not going to see much change from €150

Everyone I have talked to has said once the baby is in pram then the other child will want to be in it as well. I got a Out N About V1 off adverts and cleaned it up myself. Not a bad job if I do say so myself. Even with it just sitting in kitchen our little one will jump into it and put her doll into the other side and want to "Go Go Go". No interest anymore in the Bugaboo :P

http://www.hottots.co.uk/product/easy-x-rider/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks. I was thinking about buggy boards also, but my only concern is that they don't really offer any protection from the elements for the little one. We are living in Denmark and the Scandinavian winters can be pretty harsh.

Thanks. I was thinking about buggy boards also, but my only concern is that they don't really offer any protection from the elements for the little one. We are living in Denmark and the Scandinavian winters can be pretty harsh.

Pretty harsh might be bit of understatement there:P

Buggy board gives no protection really. I was checking out Easy X Rider as it has seat and can strap little one in. I did find a company in Sweden that where taking pre-orders for the version 3 of it....

If I was you I would invest in double buggy but I would not buy new. Try and find the adverts of Denmark and see if you can pick up decent one second hand.

Best thing is to try and get buggy that holds value, the Out N About in Ireland seems to hold value and is not massively expensive to buy second hand. So you can buy and when second baby arrives if you use it then great, if not then you can sell on and not lose a big amount of money for the few months you kept it.....

It all depends on your budget, I went with one that was in need of some attention, then spent a few days stripping it down and cleaning it myself and then putting back together. Need to source a few parts for it as well but when finished it should be perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We went for the baby jogger mini double and find it great :) It's light enough and easy to wheel too. Fits through most shop doors (same width as a standard wheelchair I think?). It just about fits through the inner doors of our house but doesn't fit through the inner doors of my mam's for some reason :confused: We also have the babyjogger mini single buggy and an ergo which we use if we're going in around the shops.

My friend is due soon and her little fella will be just 3 when the new baby arrives and she's going to keep putting her boy in the single and use a carrier for the new baby for the first while and then a buggy board for her little boy when the baby gets bigger. She thought that a double would be a waste at this stage. I wouldn't think 22 months would be old enough to be done with the buggy though Cunning?

We went for the baby jogger mini double and find it great :) It's light enough and easy to wheel too. Fits through most shop doors (same width as a standard wheelchair I think?). It just about fits through the inner doors of our house but doesn't fit through the inner doors of my mam's for some reason :confused: We also have the babyjogger mini single buggy and an ergo which we use if we're going in around the shops.

I was recommended the Baby Jogger mini double on here and had a look at them. Found one in mothercare and checked the width. It is 76cm wide which means it is a bit too big to fit though doors inside the house and even in some front doors.

I have same issue with Out N About V1. It is 77cm wide. Out n About came out with a 72cm model at the V2 which fits perfect. Just need to be careful because the early v2 are still 77cm wide.

We didn't go with the baby jogger because my wife felt it was a good bit heavier than the Out n About. In reality when we are using it we will have it outdoors so it doesn't matter it is 77cm wide. We have big front door so we can put the kids in the hall and then bring it outside....

3 years exactly between ours. We used the double for about a year.. It was a couple of weeks before her fourth birthday when we sold it. We live in the city, and do a lot of walking rather than driving, so even the trip to and from playschool for the 3 year old was a hop-in trip. Very handy with the rain cover.

I think it depends on your own lifestyle. If you're walking a lot of places where a 2 or 3 year old is likely to get tired, then it's very handy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks for reply. The size of the v1 is the issue my wife seems to have. Do you find it difficult when getting around?

I don't mind it not fitting in doors in house but is it an issue when out in shops etc?

It is the same width as a wheel chair so it fits nearly anywhere,the only place is doesn't not fit in is my local Ulster bank as they have a tiny door!
    I have used it in other countries too with no issue.

I think you will.
    I have 24 months between 1 and 2 and the same between 2 and 3 and if you walk anywhere regularly you need a buggy.
    Even on long walks my now 4 year old will sit on the front for a rest or if we are in a rush.

23 months between mine, and there is absolutely no way I would have managed without the double buggy. I'd a section on #2 (well actually both) so couldn't drive for six weeks, if I didn't have a double buggy I would have been house bound for those six weeks. As pwurple said it depends on your own lifestyle, I liked to get out for a walk everyday, they would both fall asleep and sometimes if I was lucky enough they would stay asleep when I got home and I got to have an uninterrupted cup of T & lunch!!
    I suppose it probably depends on your child too, my older one is a boy, really lazy, he wouldn't have walked 500m at age three whereas my daughter who is 3 now can be brought to the shopping center and will walk the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just posting on this for the future, only had the first! Has anyone worked with a carrier and a normal buggy? I use a structured carrier with my baby and tbh I actually find it way more handy than the buggy for shopping at the moment (he's four months). I imagine when he's walking it'll be buggy needed but when the 2nd comes along (all going well in the future) I'd consider keeping my buggy for the current baby and using the carrier for the newborn. Is that mad?

• Advertisement

Has anyone worked with a carrier and a normal buggy?

Children are great at throwing spanners in the works! Yes, that can absolutely work. I did that for a while, but my second child had reflux. Not the silent reflux kind, more like projectile vomitting, 20+ times a day.

I just found the carrier was impossible in that scenario. I ended up changing my own clothes way too much. Ended up walking through shops looking for clothes to buy because I had just been puked on again! And getting them to scan them while I was wearing them.

But, I could put her in the buggy, on a towel/muslin, and just swap the towels and bibs as we went along.

So, yes, I'd aim for that alright, and then see what suits you all when the baba arrives.

Advertisement