Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power washer problem..any help appreciated

Options
  • 12-05-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi to you all,
    I have an older lid powerwashers. It's about 8 or 9 years old so owes me nothing.
    I went to use it last week but for first time ever ...forgot to have water on (yes I am an idiot. ).
    When I turn it on the water still flows thru but no pressure whatsoever. .There is a loud humming from it which is probably the pump cursing me :).
    I have never taken one of these apart.
    From what i've said would it be crocked or is it worth takin it apart.

I picked up a nilfisk 105 bar with patio cleaner included in hardware house in cobh (Excellent people to deal with) for 95 euro.
    I haven't tried the nilfisk yet but by reading other threads here.Also I haven't opened it so I can return depending on what people think.They seem a good enough washer.
    I need one ASAP as roads muddy from tractors..also want to powerwashers plastic swings and slide/ garden furniture etc after winter.so can't wait for them to be in lid and shop manager couldn't tell me when they would b back.

Any comments/suggestions on old one or new one greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading post.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

How long was it running without water? Was tone same when water off as to when you turned water on?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Hi..water was off for about three or four seconds.Tone is still loud but it overheats n cuts out.I removed cover ..the fan at top isnt stuck but is catchin when turned by hand.I powered up with water etc and fans stickin..gave it a push with screwdriver...spun twice n locked.
    thanks for reply.

3-4 seconds wouldnt do any harm, what is fan sticking on? is it uneven?

Yes..i havent opened one of these motors before ..would it b worth a look?

Since its new never used before it should be fine. Do you mean by sticking resistance?

• Advertisement

Apologies i mustve said wrong..this one is 8 or 9years old and has done its fair share of work.
    i have a new one bit can bring it bk if i get my oldie one goin agaim.
    the fan on the oldie is catching hard on two poonts by hand and sticks totally when everythin is connected..
    i havent opened the nilfisk yet..but mot sure what to do as its 100psi and tha aldi was 160psi.

Sounds like a collapsed bearing. Bearings are cheap its just time involved. Its questionable to fix or dump it.

Thanks for the help..i will have a go at fixin it ..i would say u are correct with bearing.If it is beyond it i have the nilfisk..if not i have a spare appreciate your time on this.
    serious thanks.
    k.

Hi..you were bang on..there is a bearing on some sort of a cam ..it was mangled in a grey soup .two of the springs that work the cam are also mangled..doubt parts will b available.
    will check a few sites.
    thanks again.

Can you add pictures of your findings?

• Advertisement

Tried once to upload pics ..hope this works this time

Two more

You got to the root of the problem, you have a cracked spring. Are them ball bearings just running in a race? Have you any other damage?

Flood wrote: »
    You got to the root of the problem, you have a cracked spring. Are them ball bearings just running in a race? Have you any other damage?

The amature(hope i spelt it correct) is lookin in good order.The gun is a bit of a mess but works fine ..apart from a few kinks ..no leaks ..on hose its fine.The bearings were in a vertical race ..somethin i havent seen before.
    Also the cam part of it seems to have wear as does where the bearing goes.
    its a very old model so probanly no parts.
    If u know anyone who has electrical prob and bearing is fine..they can hav for free.
    i might put it on free section of adverts.

O havent paid for nilfisk yet and its in boot of my car..but will prob buy it.
    ill post a pic of it in a few minutes ..see what u think

Just a note to anyone buying a powerwasher. .I got the nilfisk c105.6 for 95 euro.

It's not as powerful as the lid one I had.
    But for washing the car it's awesome.
    I suffer with my back and started using snow foam.
    The lance on the nilfisk can be connected to a bottle ..supplied.. and is great as the wash/wax can be used with or without washer on.
    Nice tidy size to fit in shed.
    I was well down on power with my old washer so I cannot compare like for like.
    Anyway if you can't get your hands on a lidl washer ..and can't wait ..try the nilfisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I had a problem something like this what I was told do was connect a hose to the outlet valve and turn on the tap full. Letting the water flowing I the washer backwards whatever was the problem with my machine solved my problem. Try it.

I had a problem something like this what I was told do was connect a hose to the outlet valve and turn on the tap full. Letting the water flowing I the washer backwards whatever was the problem with my machine solved my problem. Try it.

Thanks for help..i hav to put it back together and will try it..fingers crossed..

Advertisement