Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar hat factory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ricamareicas

I'm a researcher and photographer doing some research mainly on the Castlebar Factory at the moment. SashaK you should speak to Ernie and Susanna Sweeney in Castlebar, they have a large archive work on the Castlebar Factory and are very generous with their time. The Factory building is still intact but vacant and in disrepair but is such a beautiful space. The chimney was destroyed in 1997.

One question regards the Bohermore Galway Factory, is the original building still standing? What does it function as now?
    Also Hirsch ribbons Longford opened in the grounds of Connolly Army Barracks about the same time as the Galway and Castlebar Factories. Anyone know anything about that building?

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?opt...ar-met-belgium (Ernie and Susanna Sweeney)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

One question regards the Bohermore Galway Factory, is the original building still standing? What does it function as now?

As mentioned earlier it's now a gym and apartments. Don't think any of the original building is left unless they used some of the stones as a centrepiece or something.
    As far as I know some of the derelict houses beside it in Grealishtown were sold recently so there may be further changes to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

I am doing some research on the old hat factory in Castlebar too, but cannot find anything on current ownership...is it owned by the council now or privately? Can anybody help? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dont start a thread and open another.
    Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement