Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Beginner - what games to play?

Options
  • 12-05-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    My boyfriend is a massive gamer & I want to get into it so we can play together. No experience at all with games so wondering if anyone could recommend any PS4 games for beginners to get to know the controller, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

skmck wrote: »
    Hi,
    My boyfriend is a massive gamer & I want to get into it so we can play together. No experience at all with games so wondering if anyone could recommend any PS4 games for beginners to get to know the controller, etc?

You should try Bloodbourne...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Start with something in 2D or a fixed camera perspective (Gucamelee or Lego games). Just have to focus on moving your character, get your hand to eye co-ordination a bit better. Then try some 3D kids games. Having to manipulate a camera in 3D space causes some non gamers alot of frustration.

Don't dive into the like of Call of Duty or other first person shooters just yet, you'll be going in circles looking at your feet or the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

rizzla wrote: »
    Start with something in 2D or a fixed camera perspective (Gucamelee or Lego games). Just have to focus on moving your character, get your hand to eye co-ordination a bit better. Then try some 3D kids games. Having to manipulate a camera in 3D space causes some non gamers alot of frustration.

Don't dive into the like of Call of Duty or other first person shooters just yet, you'll be going in circles looking at your feet or the sky.

This would be a great start. Try and find something you'd enjoy also. Knack might be a good game to get you to grips with some of the more up to date features and doesn't feature the grisly violence a lot of the other games do.
    Little Big Planet 3 would be good also or maybe something like peggle which has no timer on pressing the buttons, you just take your time and line your shots up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Disney Infinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Helldivers, great fun for up to 4 people all on one screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Minecraft, ye could play co op or spilt screen I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

GTA 5 you're boyfriend will love it and its piss easy to play and more importantly easy to get into and hell of a lot fun

I couldn't even get to grips with minecraft myself and i've been playing games (badly) since the atari 2600

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Bloodborne is not quite the type of game a beginner should approach unless you are inclined to old school "you're dead" type gaming.. Saying that it's a brilliant game.

For beginners
    > Any of the Lego games - they were on special on the PSN store a while back.
    > Tomb Raider - ported from the PS3 but graphically very nice and some handy gameplay and exploring
    > Diablo 3 - for some grinding and fun - lots of blood

If you're into FPS - Wolfenstein is a great "SOLO" game, very enjoyable.

Loads there to download from the store too - eg Flow, Limbo, Flower, the TellTale episodic games eg Wolf Among Us.

All depends on what type of gaming you enjoy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bloodborne is the best game on the PS4 by a country mile, however I would not in any way recommend it to beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭skmck

Thanks all for your replies! My boyfriend started me on a game that was in the 'first person' & all the fast moving actually made me throw up so not a good start (or else he's just a bad teacher & should have started me on something easier!!)
    I've started Little Big Planet 3 now & getting to grips with the controls now, I'm an 'inverter' on the controls which my boyfriend thinks is hilarious but so far, so good! I'm telling my boyfriend that I'll be so good in a few months that I'll be fit to start my own streaming channel, get rich & retire early (wishful thinking!)
    Really appreciate the recommendations from everyone above, thanks all :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All the old school first person players are inverters so tell your boyfriend he's nothing but a noob scrub :) Inverter since 1994 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

If the movement from the FPS was too frantic have a go at some of the telltale games.
    They are very like the old D&G books where you are provided choices and you have a limited time to make a decision or not which in turn shapes how the games proceeds and ultimately ends...

Some really chilled games I also enjoyed were
    Flower - yup - you are a leaf on the wind
    Flow - bit like flower but you're a creature that evolves as you eat
    Both can be controlled by how you tilt and angle the controller - very very relaxing

Beyond those many of the games above sound great - any of the Lego, or Disney Infinity, have a look at some of the PSN freebies each month - there are some gems there too...

If you felt ill after the FPS, just ease into it, games like that can take some getting used to but it's worth trying a few times as there are some great ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

If you have a PS3 you can download the old crash bandicoot games off the market.

Your boyfriend will love it and wanna play with you more than likely, they're also easy enough fun games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

daUbiq wrote: »
    You should try Bloodbourne...

Nah, I hate Matt Damon.

Advertisement