Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Non GUI Player play in Open Comps

Options
  • 12-05-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I hope this is not a stupid Question but I was Told I cannot play in any Open Comps as I don't have a GUI Handicap is this true?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

It is true. How could you if you dont have a GUI h/c ? :confused:
    Is this a wind up ? You are playing with fire here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I hope this is not a stupid Question but I was Told I cannot play in any Open Comps as I don't have a GUI Handicap is this true?:confused:

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bulldog0906

I Only ask this as I've Only Taking up Golf a couple of year's now and have only played on the odd wknd and with a local Society and I wasn't trying to wind anyone up or be a smartass, It's an honest Question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I Only ask this as I've Only Taking up Golf a couple of year's now and have only played on the odd wknd and with a local Society and I wasn't trying to wind anyone up or be a smartass, It's an honest Question

It is not unheard of that non GUI golfers are teeing it up with their GUI golfing friends in open competitions. But you're obviously not in the competition and you cannot win anything. Also the somewhat subsidised low green fee may be an issue in this case but it is unlike that anyone would check.

For instance we have a work society and we're going to play our next outing on s day where there's an open comp going on that course which means the guys with HCs can enter that competition. The rest just plays our society thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

if you have any particular open in mind bulldog, you can most likely play in them without entering in the competition.
    a pal of mine played in a Mount Juliet Open last year, but it was just for the game of golf, he wasn't in the competition and the people in MJ didn't mind in the slightest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bulldog0906

Seve OB wrote: »
    if you have any particular open in mind bulldog, you can most likely play in them without entering in the competition.
    a pal of mine played in a Mount Juliet Open last year, but it was just for the game of golf, he wasn't in the competition and the people in MJ didn't mind in the slightest

It's just local Opens comps in Birr and Ballinasloe Seve OB now i would't be interested in trying to win anything its just the opportunity to play a round of golf in a comp to learn more information and Golf Etiquette

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Actually this reminds me, I play in England, can I enter Open competitions in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Actually this reminds me, I play in England, can I enter Open competitions in Ireland?

Yes.

I played in England and had my EGU handicap and played here without any problems.

Also you can play with a USGA handicap (I did) but there is a 'conversion' process/calculation that has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

shabalala wrote: »
    Ring Slievenamon.

Pay €150.

Decide what Hcap you would like.

Receive GUI card.

Win lots of prizes.

Welcome to Irish golf.

:eek::D:D:D:D

Come on Bobster - even you must laugh at that.

but I don't think you will :D:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Don't feed the troll. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Its generally at the clubs discretion but if you are booking three people in as a three ball for an open singles stableford generally the club won't mind if one of the golfers doesn't have a GUI, you just won't be entered in the comp.

Obviously it will be slightly more complicated (potentially) for example in team events such as where each players score has to count on at least three holes or something like that. I played a 4 man team event before with best three scores counting on each hole, one guy was non-GUI so the other three counted on each hole. Slight disadvantage but we didn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

It's just local Opens comps in Birr and Ballinasloe Seve OB now i would't be interested in trying to win anything its just the opportunity to play a round of golf in a comp to learn more information and Golf Etiquette

If u ever wanna play birr drop me a pm I play it most days I'm not working :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Hi lads, probably the wrong thread to ask this but sure I'll chance it. Haven't played golf since i was about 16 or 17. What is the protocol for getting a handicap?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

raypallas wrote: »
    Hi lads, probably the wrong thread to ask this but sure I'll chance it. Haven't played golf since i was about 16 or 17. What is the protocol for getting a handicap?

Join a club and play 3 rounds at that course and hand them in to the H/C secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yes.

I played in England and had my EGU handicap and played here without any problems.

Also you can play with a USGA handicap (I did) but there is a 'conversion' process/calculation that has to be done.

Easiest conversion process for USGA handicaps (above single figures) is to inflate them by 50% or more. Many bear no relation to reality because you can get a handicap in a lot of clubs by just entering scores into the computer and out pops your USGA card. They don't even have to be for rounds actually played. Even if they are the score for a round, many will include a mulligan or two, a few gimmees and possible a couple of improved lies. 90%+ of club golf in the US is social/casual golf where scores aren't even recorded, never mind attested.

The result is you will get some Yanks arriving in Lahinch or Ballybunion claiming a 12 handicap and they can barely hit it out of their way.

First Up wrote: »
    Easiest conversion process for USGA handicaps (above single figures) is to inflate them by 50% or more. Many bear no relation to reality because you can get a handicap in a lot of clubs by just entering scores into the computer and out pops your USGA card. They don't even have to be for rounds actually played. Even if they are the score for a round, many will include a mulligan or two, a few gimmees and possible a couple of improved lies. 90%+ of club golf in the US is social/casual golf where scores aren't even recorded, never mind attested.

The result is you will get some Yanks arriving in Lahinch or Ballybunion claiming a 12 handicap and they can barely hit it out of their way.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience when I was playing in the States (and by that I don't mean on the Tour:D).

There was a little knot of us ex-pats who played together a fair bit and our American friends and colleagues were bemused by our competitive approach and our desire to play at least in the odd organised competition.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience when I was playing in the States (and by that I don't mean on the Tour:D).

There was a little knot of us ex-pats who played together a fair bit and our American friends and colleagues were bemused by our competitive approach and our desire to play at least in the odd organised competition.

They would be even more astonished by your group insisting on playing by ALL the rules.

A favourite I've seen a bit is a guy slices it a mile OB, wanders up to the approximate (generous) point where it left the course, drops one and calls it a one shot penalty. Happens all the time and it is a bit awkward to correct them. I am never sure if they genuinely don't know the rules or just don't care.

First Up wrote: »
    They would be even more astonished by your group insisting on playing by ALL the rules.

A favourite I've seen a bit is a guy slices it a mile OB, wanders up to the approximate (generous) point where it left the course, drops one and calls it a one shot penalty. Happens all the time and it is a bit awkward to correct them. I am never sure if they genuinely don't know the rules or just don't care.

We did.......occasionally.

But when we played together and there was money involved (usually $1 skins) the rules were the rules.

Etiquette-wise I found it varied. Some were very scrupulous about golf etiquette and others less so, even to the point of thinking it was funny to heckle during your swing!

I think, though, there is a formal, proper calculation applicable to USGA handicaps to make them CONGU 'compatible'.

We did.......occasionally.

But when we played together and there was money involved (usually $1 skins) the rules were the rules.

Etiquette-wise I found it varied. Some were very scrupulous about golf etiquette and others less so, even to the point of thinking it was funny to heckle during your swing!

I think, though, there is a formal, proper calculation applicable to USGA handicaps to make them CONGU 'compatible'.

The better players are usually grand.

There is all that stuff about "slope" but when over here, I think most just apply whatever h/c they have. It might get more serious if there is something more than who pays for lunch at stake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Killeen Castle made an issue of a non GUI lad with me last year playing in an open comp. I'd actually squared it with a different staff member beforehand and told my buddy there'd be no problem. So it was a bit embarrassing to have a mini stand off then when checking in. Was sorted quick thankfully. I presume the issue was the cheap green fee. Never had a bother anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Killeen Castle made an issue of a non GUI lad with me last year playing in an open comp. I'd actually squared it with a different staff member beforehand and told my buddy there'd be no problem. So it was a bit embarrassing to have a mini stand off then when checking in. Was sorted quick thankfully. I presume the issue was the cheap green fee. Never had a bother anywhere else.

A few years ago me and a mate (both with GUI cards)decided to play in an open comp at a club up North, put are names on the time sheet a week before and arrived to play.
    No one had put their name along side ours on the sheet and as we were both visitors, they wouldn't allow us to play in the comp unless accompanied by a member. Fair enough, we could have decided to win the comp before ever hitting a ball, but the open comp was £10 and because we weren't playing in the comp, we had to pay the usual £30 green fees.
    In the end we only paid the £10 but I remember the girl at the desk being adamant that it was £30 or go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Yes that's true, but some clubs do allow golfers without a GUI HC to play in their opens, it's up to them to decide though, so you should phone the club beforehand and explain your situation.
    Plus reminder an open comp fee is an entry fee to a competiton, it's not a greenfee.

Yes that's true, but some clubs do allow golfers without a GUI HC to play in their opens, it's up to them to decide though, so you should phone the club beforehand and explain your situation.
    Plus reminder an open comp fee is an entry fee to a competiton, it's not a greenfee.[/QUOTE]

For visitors I think it is a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

So I rock up to the most suitable open without a GUI and get to play the course for a significantly reduced green fee.

In theory is this not a more damaging practice than the distance memberships?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Domo1982 wrote: »
    So I rock up to the most suitable open without a GUI and get to play the course for a significantly reduced green fee.

In theory is this not a more damaging practice than the distance memberships?

Any time I've played an open and someone without a handicap played they were always charged full green fee.

And give the distance thing a rest, its getting painful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

For the lads who played with an English handicap, how did that work? Did you just give them your English number instead of your GUI number and they were able to find your handicap info?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

JoseJones wrote: »
    For the lads who played with an English handicap, how did that work? Did you just give them your English number instead of your GUI number and they were able to find your handicap info?

When my father was over from England I contacted the clubs directly.
    Most were very helpful and confirmed that with a valid handicap cert they would accept them into the competition at discounted rate.

A few places said a point blank no, and one very big place said no with a ****ter of a reason but I won't go there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

lowelife wrote: »
    A few places said a point blank no, and one very big place said no with a ****ter of a reason but I won't go there. :D

Go on, I'm curious now :D

I'm surprised there isn't a central system that all handicaps just feed into... Seems like howdidido could do that pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

JoseJones wrote: »
    Go on, I'm curious now :D

I'm surprised there isn't a central system that all handicaps just feed into... Seems like howdidido could do that pretty easily.

The reason alone was laughable.
    We won't give the discount Open discount to non GUI members regardless of their golfing union they are a member of.
    Almost like they can afford to turn away money (I checked the timesheet at the time and it was barely half full)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

lowelife wrote: »
    The reason alone was laughable.
    We won't give the discount Open discount to non GUI members regardless of their golfing union they are a member of.
    Almost like they can afford to turn away money (I checked the timesheet at the time and it was barely half full)

Why would anyone join the GUI if you can get everything you were looking for without a GUI number?
    Would kinda render it pointless, no?

Advertisement