Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menlo Castle

Options
  • 12-05-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭

Was travelling around Galway recently and stumbled upon Menlo Castle - looking across from the west bank of the Corrib. I decided to drive around to Menlo check it out and was able to gain access by jumping over a locked gate at what I'm guessing was the original entrance to the proeprty. It was more or less deserted that day but seemed like a nice spot for picnics etc.

Is there an easier way in than jumping the gate - like an obvious entrance that I missed or something? If it was owned by the Council I'm guessing they would do more to promote access etc. so is it maybe part of a privately owned property or farm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

That land is owned by a farmer. He used to keep cows there. But people kept trespassing so he can't anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've been meaning to do that drive and check it out for so many years. I always look across the water enviously at the people picnicking there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Is there any issue accessing castle lands if owned by farmer ? Looks like a great spot from the dangan side..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

As empacher said its on private property, the gate is always locked and there is a No Trespassing notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

You can swim across from Dangan side handy enough. Just watch out for rowers and the Princess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You can swim across from Dangan side handy enough. Just watch out for rowers and the Princess.

And the Prince, and of course the Duchess. ;)

Or I could take a crack at the long jump record??

youngrun wrote: »
    Or I could take a crack at the long jump record??

I tried it but I was approx 45m short and had to swim the rest of the way.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Fierljeppen, perhaps?

It's certainly an option but by my reckoning you will need a longer pole and more furious climbing. That particular guy would have fallen 20-25m short and you also have to remember the other bank is rocky in parts.

An old fashioned swim still seems the best approach. Failing that, you could simply stay on the Dangan bank and admire the Menlo castle from there while taking an opportunity to 'moon' the Princess when she passes.

• Advertisement

It's certainly an option but by my reckoning you will need a longer pole and more furious climbing. That particular guy would have fallen 20-25m short and you also have to remember the other bank is rocky in parts.

An old fashioned swim still seems the best approach. Failing that, you could simply stay on the Dangan bank and admire the Menlo castle from there while taking an opportunity to 'moon' the Princess when she passes.

I wonder will that grand tradition continue when the bypass is built overhead ?!

It'll create a whole new tradition, as well as a new opportunity for Spungo & Sheppie.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    It'll create a whole new tradition, as well as a new opportunity for Spungo & Sheppie.

Who are Spungo and Sheppie?

It's a nice jump. I hope the new bridge offers the same opportunity. It passes close to Menlo castle I believe.

I wonder will that grand tradition continue when the bypass is built overhead ?!

Yeah I think people will always moon the Princess. It's just the done thing.

Who are Spungo and Sheppie?

It's a nice jump. I hope the new bridge offers the same opportunity. It passes close to Menlo castle I believe.

Sheppie is the filmmaker I think , perhaps Spungo is one of the subjects either on the banks of the corrib or in mid air jump?

Whatever happened the plans to reopen the castle to public and develop it as a residence ?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/prominent-businessman-behind-refurbishment-of-menlo-castle-1.296521

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Whatever happened the plans to reopen the castle to public and develop it as a residence ?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/prominent-businessman-behind-refurbishment-of-menlo-castle-1.296521
    NAMA. Actual NAMA as well, not the colloquial one which encompasses all banks, bad debts or when a landlord just wants to do something objectionable but wants to imply his hands are tied.

Yeah I think people will always moon the Princess. It's just the done thing.

Don't try it on the Prince, or you'll probably get a lash of Kristina Kyriacou's handbag.

Advertisement