Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep's Great Escape? Bayern vs Barca. k/o 19:45, TV3, ITV

• 12-05-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

hi-res-49aa51d927cb795a49466ba7c6d5a507_crop_north.jpg?w=759&h=506&q=75

Right well, you can't just half do something can you?

Bayern enter their own Arena tonight facing a 3 goal deficit. This isn't the first time in the competition this season that they've been chasing a deficit. They recovered from a 3-1 deficit against Porto to thrash them 7-1. Barcelona obviously aren't Porto.

Except, when they sort of are. Both teams do have similar-ish defensive systems*. Both defend very compactly allowing a lot of space on the wings. Bayern got a great deal of joy out of that space in the second leg against Porto. The dilemma teams face against Barca though is an incredibly cruel one. In order to exploit that space you have to create an effective overlap. Common sense dictates that this will be provided by your full backs. If Barcelona are drawing or losing to you the respective forward player of the attacking trident will track back. However, if they're winning. Messi, Neymar, and Suarez will occupy the respective wings and centre of the field position in as much as offensive a threateningly high line as possible. (Unless they're down a man.) If the attacking team screws up in any significant manner they're exposed to a deadly counter attack with Barca's trident in the best possible attacking positions. Mostly what this amounts to is teams trailing to Barcelona not being able to fully commit players to attack. Last week Bayern broke this trend; the third goal happened! The other option for Bayern would be to provide that overlap via one of their attacking midfielders. That's unconventional to say the least, but don't be surprised if Pep comes up with some sort of system that is similar to this while providing the best possible defensive balance to the side. Whatever he comes up with, it's certainly going to be case of choose the best out of a series of terrible options defence wise. Luis Enrique isn't just going to sit there and let him have the freedom to do what he wants either. Either way, Bayern will likely aggressively chase the game. How defensively balanced they'll be is anyone's question. There's no doubt they'll be risking a cricket score in the process.

Zlatan once said that Pep had no balls. I disagree, Pep's problem is that he's got too much. Such were the levels of faith that Pep showed in his players last week that every Bayern fan likely had their blood pressure checked at several intervals during the game. The "3-4-3" or, 3-err 7, approach was nothing new. Though you'd be forgiven for thinking it was. It was a ploy he'd often used with various "Pepsy modifications" at intervals in games while managing Barcelona to unsettle opponents. Barca's 3-1 Demolition of Jose's Madrid - a very technically proficient side - at the Bernabeau in 2012, is a really good successful example of it.

The idea is fairly simple. Trust ability of your defenders to stick like glue to the main frontline attackers pushing them back as far as possible in the process. Your keeper provides sweeper cover in behind. This allows 7 other players to structurally press the opposition relentlessly high in their own half for the ball. Forcing them into pressurised passes that should mostly be inaccurate, contestable or containable, defensive wise. Statistically speaking on rare occasions the opposition will play a precise pass cutting open your defence. In general, the offensive benefits strongly outweigh the negative side effects. Like properly implemented zonal marking when it fails it looks spectacularly stupid. There is however a very sound logic to it.

Where that logic begins to wane is the current form and conditioning of this Barca side is imperious. Last few seasons they'd most likely have crumbled against it. We knew they were better than the last few years iterations but I'll be honest, I didn't expect them to be as good at breaking the pressure as they were. It was breathtaking! Despite being pressed incessantly, Iniesta and Busquets were able to create space with portal guns or something. Thus allowing others time to create space. Thereby creating a headache for Pep. As a ploy it wasn't working and he switched it. Probably thanking the football gods in the process that he hadn't conceded. Then later once Barca had tired a little, he switched back. There was a problem however. After around 60 minutes his Bayern players were beginning to fatigue a little from their exertions. Barcelona were clearly less fatigued. They or their coaches sensed this and began pressing higher against Bayern. (Your turn!) The first goal came from Alves winning the ball back high in Bayern's half. The Second from Rakitic. Messi did the business, but the role of Alves and Rakitic, who both played fantastically all game, cannot be overlooked. They don't win the ball back and Messi has a quiet night.

About ten minutes before the goal Gary Neville remarked that space was appearing, Bayern probably needed to drop back. After the first concession Bayern definitely needed to shut up shop. Instead they opened it up more - and more again after another concession. A ballsy move to get the away goal but ultimately a foolhardy one. Historically, they had gone from a 68% chance of progression in the sixtieth minute to a 7% chance at final whistle.

That stat ignores current form of the opposition: Barcelona have only lost one match this season by more than 1 goal. That was a 2 goal defeat to a scintillating Real Madrid side. They have played 29 matches this year and won 27 of them. They are currently on run of 7 games in a row without conceding. Their last concession being an own goal against PSG. From set pieces this season they've scored more goals than they've conceded. They've kept a whopping 22 clean sheets in La Liga. Perhaps the most telling stat of them all was last week Bayern created 1 good goal scoring opportunity. Barca had 11. But they do defend with a similar system to Porto. Perhaps, there a little glimmer there? Ter Stegen has lacked composure on occasions too. That's perhaps something? Pique and Alves are one booking away from a suspension. Another little something? Bayern are more ferocious at home than they are away. Another little thing bit of optimism? One would surely expect that it'd be harder for Barca playing away from home to make space when being pressed so intensely? That's going to be interesting to find out.

Here's where Pep stands: If he wants to win this game he's going to likely have to play an even more aggressive attacking variant to the 3-4-3 he started with last week. (Bayern fans may need to stock up on the diuretics.) Bayern are going to have to bombard the flanks. His players are going to have commit to ferociously attacking with a gruellingly high intensity. All the while taking the huge risk of Barcelona stinging them with a lightning counter. If Barca score first Bayern are highly likely to get creamed. BUT If Bayern score the first two goals anything could still happen. From the perspective of the neutrals here's hoping they do - and quickly.

*I've only seen Porto play 3 times so it's possible what I witnessed was against their usual trend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tl;dr......I backed Bayern outright to win CL, I've done me lolly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Can't see Pep doing a great escape. Will be incredible if so and will go down as a great turn around.

But trying to score 4 goals V Barca and hoping they don't score is asking a lot.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can see Bayern getting picked off on the counter, Barca to win by 2 and another semi final thrashing for Pep.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Similar trend to last week, Bayern would be very foolish to approach it in a similar fashion but as Turtwig has pointed out, they really have no choice if they want to go through.

Barca will enjoy the space they'll be afforded and I just cant see past them scoring at least 1 which will make Bayerns task nigh on impossible.

Bayern were afforded a day off last weekend but Barca had a difficult tie against Socidead to come through, maybe it will help Bayern for the opening exchanges, they really have to push for the opening goal and see where it goes from there, this Barca team can pick apart anyone on the break though so even if they go 1 or 2 down, Bayern will have to be cautios.

Interesting game ahead.

I think every neutral is hoping for a 2-0 First Half to Munich. Would make a cracking 2nd half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

That's a very well thought out intro, fair play.

Will pop a few quid on Bayern but really can't see Barca losing a three goal deficit. Stranger things have happened though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Neuer, Alonso, Benatia, Thiago, Lewandowski, Rafinha, Boateng, Bernat, Lahm, Müller, Schweinsteiger.

Ter Stegen, Alves, Piqué, Mascherano, J.Alba, Busquets, Iniesta, Rakitic, Suárez, Messi, Neymar Jr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thank goodness they told us It was Neymar Jr, I thought it was his Da playing until I seen the 'Jr'.

Barca to process comfortably ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Maybe it's Neymar's son? Or is that Neymar Jr. jr? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Peps last game of any importance in charge anyone?

• Advertisement

I think he already came out and said he'll be at Munich next year? Maybe I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I think he already came out and said he'll be at Munich next year? Maybe I'm wrong.

‘I have already said 200million times that I have a contract until 2016. I’m staying here and that is all there is to it.’
    - Pep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

That would be ridiculous, and most sane football fans know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

symbolic wrote: »
    ‘I have already said 200million times that I have a contract until 2016. I’m staying here and that is all there is to it.’
    - Pep

That's clearly a lie. He'd have to have been speaking for 2 years. He's not even at the club yet fully two years.

*I'll get me coat. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

barca to avenge the 7-0 scoreline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can't see Bayern turning that around. Barca are more than capable of bagging a goal or two on the counter. That means Bayern will need to score at least 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Bayern to win, Barca to score and progress.

Dont see Barca getting result in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Cmon Bryan.

CMON!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Game on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

**** just got interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

here we go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's on! Great header

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Game on

Nice to see Bayern actually play some football rather than Pep's bolloxology that went on the first 20 minutes of the last game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

tumblr_mdx67f4Itb1qkgojuo1_400.gif

Game on

Nice to see Bayern actually play some football rather than Pep's bolloxology that went on the first 20 minutes of the last game

The chip on your shoulder must be really weighing you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What's the story with them stupid ****en masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Game Over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Those 3 are too good.

• Advertisement

Get in. Yesssssssssssss!!!!

See ya then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Great play from 'Louie'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

game-over-man-o.gif

blueser wrote: »
    Can't see Bayern turning that around. Barca are more than capable of bagging a goal or two on the counter. That means Bayern will need to score at least 5.
    Told you!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Game back off. Nothing to see here ;)

• Advertisement

Why is one of the worst refs in England reffing one of the biggest games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Theatrics have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Alba :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Game over now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Told you!

;)

Hardly Nostradamus with that prediction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal! Barcelona! Neymar scores it but it's the unrivalled genius of the magic front 3 that deserves the credit, MSN strike an away goal, Messi's delicate killer pass, Suarez's run and square ball, Neymar finishes. It's quite brilliant, the stuff of a championship team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Alonso's had some sh*te free kicks over the two games.

Told you!

;)

Well it wasn't exactly a ground breaking crazy mother****er of a prediction in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If there's a player on this earth I dislike more than Suarez it's Jordi Alba.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why is one of the worst refs in England reffing one of the biggest games of the season.

But he is not. He has usually gets big games in England, which is why he is well known to fans of the premier league.
    And when he does make a mistake, it is obviously going to be magnified.

Why would you dislike him he is a genius to watch. Players like him are the reason I love football.

Fudge You wrote: »
    But he is not. He has usually gets big games in England, which is why he is well known to fans of the premier league.
    And when he does make a mistake, it is obviously going to be magnified.

Maybe not but he is no where this level.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well it wasn't exactly a ground breaking crazy mother****er of a prediction in fairness.
    Hence the ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ramos and pepe are worse again tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

That was a great pass by Muller

• Advertisement
Advertisement