Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep's Great Escape? Bayern vs Barca. k/o 19:45, TV3, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Luis Enrique got away with that tonight. Taking Suarez off for Pedro was daft and gave Bayern the impetus and on another night they would have converted more of their chances. Barcelona simply aren't good enough defensively to sit back and try to kill a game.

Theoretically getting fresh legs on should have been the good call. We just took out foot of the gas entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They missed Robben big time, he was their top scorer (still is?) before getting injured. He would have given Alba a torrid time.

In general they had nobody who could run at Barca's defence.

Guardiola's team were famous for their passing but they too faltered without the threat of the likes of Messi.

Everyone needs somone who can run at times, who can carry the ball, who can beat a man.

You'd struggle to name many teams that won without one. Maybe you could argue that Spain did, but International football isn't quite the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Luis Enrique got away with that tonight. Taking Suarez off for Pedro was daft and gave Bayern the impetus and on another night they would have converted more of their chances. Barcelona simply aren't good enough defensively to sit back and try to kill a game.

Suarez was injured hence the substitution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bohrio wrote: »
    Suarez was injured hence the substitution

You sure about that? Would paint the change in a different light alright.

You sure about that? Would paint the change in a different light alright.

link

Unfortunately is in Spanish :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Hope Juve go through.

eternal wrote: »
    Hope Juve go through.

So do I, I dont think my heart can cope with a Real - Barcelona Champions League Final...

If it happens I will take a sleeping pill and check the result on the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Juve = Suarez vs Chielini and Evra.

Perfect!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

titan18 wrote: »
    Can't see Guardiola being there next season. Bayern have gone backwards since Heynckes

I completely agree.

And I don't think it's a coincidence that Barcalona's return to the sort of from that helped them sweep all aside has coincided with the arrival of a manager who doesn't play retentive possession obsessed football.

At Roma it didn't work out for him and it took a few months for Barca to adjust to his system but right now Luis Enrique's expansive, direct, lightening quick countering style is proving just too much for most teams to cope with.

With the trio they have up front every single breaking ball is a genuine chance to score, it actually reminds me of Real last year with Ronaldo, Di Maria and Bale steam rolling over all in front of them with Benzema getting in on it as well.

I can't see Pepe being at Bayern next season after two carbon copy seasons of disappointment. Dominate the league, win it early and then they seem more focused on their 3 weeks in Bahamas with the kids than the chance of winning another Champions League.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Juve = Suarez vs Chielini and Evra.

Perfect!:D

To be honest, despite their lack of pace at the back besides Bonucci and Lichtsteiner I think Juve's defence would the the hardest for Barca to unlock. They've only conceded 6 goals in the seasons competition for a very good reason.

• Advertisement

Speculation over the Suarez substitution :D
    https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/598210531435159552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

People are quick to forget that Bayern were missing Ribery, Robben, Badstuber & Alaba. Most teams suffer without their key players, especially 4 of them. I'd be surprised to see Pep go anywhere else. He's abit to learn there yet

Dempsey wrote: »
    People are quick to forget that Bayern were missing Ribery, Robben, Badstuber & Alaba. Most teams suffer without their key players, especially 4 of them. I'd be surprised to see Pep go anywhere else. He's abit to learn there yet

He was appointed to win the Champions League because they thought Jupp couldn't do it (he gave the board the perfect 2 fingered response). To whimper out in the semi's two years in a row will not be well received in F.C. Hollywood HQ.

I completely agree.

I can't see Pepe being at Bayern next season after two carbon copy seasons of disappointment. Dominate the league, win it early and then they seem more focused on their 3 weeks in Bahamas with the kids than the chance of winning another Champions League.

I still think that people were expecting too much from Pep.

I said it before he has won 5-6 titles in the last 2 years, if we, for instance, compare it with Mou's 2 (and failing to reach the champion's league semi final twice, first time he was humiliated by Atletico on the first year and the second year didnt even reach the quarter final).

But I dont see anyone saying Mou's days are over, maybe because people were not expecting much of him?

Pep has done well, all things considering, even the game in Barcelona was ok if it wasnt for Messi's brilliant performance that changed the game in 15 minutes.

Today they did their best but they had an almost impossible task. If I was a Bayern supporter I would be happy with the effort made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

titan18 wrote: »
    Can't see Guardiola being there next season. Bayern have gone backwards since Heynckes

Lazy Analysis on boards as usual. You sound like Jamie Redknapp.

While of course they have not won the treble since, so therefore they are not as good as the 2013 team.
    But, BACKWARDS since Heynckes, is over used already.

In Heynckes' last spell in charge of Munich was from 2011-13. He finished second in the league the first season, behind Dortmund, and Dortmund hammered them in the cup. Then at home in the champions league final they lose to chelsea.
    Now I dont think this was a bad season at all, Im not saying that, but no trophies is not good enough for the board.

Next season, the board decide in the winter break that Pep was taking over the following season, harsh, but the way things went 2011-12 and the age of Heynckes, they went big on Pep.
    It was ridiculous(in my opinion) for the board to do it mid season but thats modern day football, they needed to get Pep signed as he was the top manager in the world apart from Jose and Fergie. And having won the champions league twice in recent seasons, they were banking on him to come to munich and win it.
    So spring 2013 comes along, and they go all the way in the cup and league, get ahead of Dortmund. And of course do what they did against Barca, which was impressive.
    But but but, as good as they were against barca, they were over hyped by the 7-0. They deserved to win, and barca were poor over the two legs. But it was way way over hyped. And another example was Barca winning 3-0 last week, way over hyped. Bayern were decent for a lot of that game, but messi got the goals and before you know it, its 3-0. O bayern were hammered, no they werent. Its too lazy to say they were hammered.

Just look at the second half tonight, Bayern were clearly on top, but it doesnt matter, lets just say what the papers, Redknapp and Hoddle will say... "they lost so they are losers, Pep is rubbish, bring back Heynckes blah blah."

Its too lazy to say the sentence I quoted. Do you think they should win a treble every year???

Pep will be there next season. League won, semis of cup and semis of Champions league. Dont be so lazy and talk sh1t please. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I enjoyed watching Heynckes Bayern, such brilliant attacking play. It was direct and boy was the wing play brilliant.

Pep teams bore the **** out of me ya know. It was the very same at Barca and its worse at Bayern now. It provides success but I prefer not to see his style of soccer near utd.

Heynckes side were overrated.

They were a great side. The treble glossed over a lot. They struggled against arsenal. Inexplicably kept a clean sheet against Juve. Played a Barca side in a terrible run of form. Coach in cancer treatment.Messi with a hamstring injury. Xavi struggling with tendonitis. Busquets a groin problem and Mascherano actually didn't play. That the other tree played is a mystery. That they kept a wenger high line over both fcking legs is beyond me.

I don't think pep was right for Bayern but the standard he's been held against are unfair.

Actually looking back real shame we've these heavy weights haven't played each other at full strength yet.

I completely agree.

And I don't think it's a coincidence that Barcalona's return to the sort of from that helped them sweep all aside has coincided with the arrival of a manager who doesn't play retentive possession obsessed football.

At Roma it didn't work out for him and it took a few months for Barca to adjust to his system but right now Luis Enrique's expansive, direct, lightening quick countering style is proving just too much for most teams to cope with.

With the trio they have up front every single breaking ball is a genuine chance to score, it actually reminds me of Real last year with Ronaldo, Di Maria and Bale steam rolling over all in front of them with Benzema getting in on it as well.

First off, last season before the spine of his team went off to the bahamas, they won a world cup.

Anyway, getting to the semis is not that easy, as Bohrio said, Chelsea (best team in england, and champs in 2012) went out in last 16 this season...

He will be there next season, and if he isnt, it would be down to silly (bayern) fans that have attitudes like yours. Do some teams really expect their team to win the champions league every season????

Finally, I remember when Barca were beaten by Inter in 2010, and a lot in the media said, they are Finished, found out, dont know how to play another way, no plan B, boring blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The writing off of pep is laughable two CL semi finals in his reign just because they won it the year before he arrived isnt a stick to beat him with no club has retained the trophy since 1990 its not the easiest thing to do. No doubt 2 years ago when bayern trashed barca a lot were writing off some of the players in this barca team. Bayern played quite well over the 2 legs unfortunately for them they came up against a messi back to his best in the first leg something they didnt have to contend with 2 years ago. They also missed 2 of their key attacking outlets in ribery and robben.

Headshot wrote: »
    I enjoyed watching Heynckes Bayern, such brilliant attacking play. It was direct and boy was the wing play brilliant.

Pep teams bore the **** out of me ya know. It was the very same at Barca and its worse at Bayern now. It provides success but I prefer not to see his style of soccer near utd.

I have no idea what Utd have to do with anything.

Was Heynckes brilliant at attacking play??? Im not saying they werent but what games really impressed you? Was it the barca game by any chance? Or was any other matches that stick out to you? Or was it any other teams that Heynckes managed that really set the world alight with attacking play???
    I look forward to reading your analysis.

You have your opinion on the way Pep's teams play, fair enough, but tonight and last week, were Bayern boring???
    I think not, they were excellent at times over the two games, and last week was one of the best games of football Ive seen in a long time. Didnt win, but they were not boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Bayern were unlucky imo they had plenty chances

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The finest display of attacking football ive ever seen was the 25 minutes after half time by peps barca against utd in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Turtwig wrote: »
    Actually looking back real shame we've these heavy weights haven't played each other at full strength yet.

Robben and Ribery's absence was a real shame, when you add them to Benzema, Modric and Pogba it's really disappointing that we are deprived of so many key players over the 2 legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Youd swear Barca lost ... so quiet here .. I heard maybe 2 bangers ... no horns ... usually the town be going mental....

I guess even true passionate fans need a rest .. :rolleyes:

The video, though very funny, was a satire to what the americans think of football (or what they call soccer) and how they all see it (because of their lack of knowledge and because they are very little familiar with the game). Basically they dont like soccer because they dont understand it, in their eyes, all they see is a guy constantly passing the ball and nothing really happening for most of the game (which ironically is what some european people think of American Football, again, probably due to ignorance).

Not sure it speaks well in your favor though

But I have to say I did laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

As usual no away goal being crucial IMO. 3 of Bayerns best players out injured and coming up against the best strike force at the minute, was never going to end well for Bayern.

As many have stated, would have been great to see how it would have faired with no injuries to Bayern alas.

Can't see anyone stopping this Barca side. From my betting perspective rather It was a El Classico final. But in terms of Football I'd love to see Barca murder Juve so the over hype can be found out.

Suarez is just quality, no other word for it. Many strikers would have shot for that first and the fact he picked a pass was great to see, was always unselfish on the ball IMO.

Bohrio wrote: »
    The video, though very funny, was a satire to what the americans think of football (or what they call soccer) and how they all see it (because of their lack of knowledge and because they are very little familiar with the game). Basically they dont like soccer because they dont understand it, in their eyes, all they see is a guy constantly passing the ball and nothing really happening for most of the game (which ironically is what some european people think of American Football, again, probably due to ignorance).

Not sure it speaks well in your favor though

But I have to say I did laugh

wow

People really get upset when pep and his style is criticised. Any idiot knows it was satire. I still find it funny in a sense that is how I see Peps teams playing. He's kinda getting found out anyway. I do give credit to Pep's team, he is good aid for getting a good nights sleep. The Bundesliga has turned into SPL 2.0. There's no competition for Pep's Bayern in the Bundesliga but where his real test is the CL and he's not having much luck there. I wouldn't surprise if he goes in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

He's kinda getting found out anyway..

Wonder how Barca would have faired without having Messi/Suarez and Alba...

While Bayern had Ribery/Robben/Alaba. Found out :confused::confused:

He did make a few errors, not sure why he didn't bring on Gotze earlier? I don't watch Munich much, but Gotze doesn't seem to get a look in. Was pointless bringing him on in 85th odd minute.

• Advertisement

Even if Bayerns best team was fit, I couldnt see them beating Barca. Besides the subs, you also have to go back to the first game and question that starting formation. Id also argue conceding 3 goals late on in the first game was really poor. Im not sure does Pep know how to defend either. I think he relies to heavily on possession as his defence instead of actually defending. You can get away with that with Barca because of their CM but Bayern dont have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Have you watched United recently? It's a poor man's Pep style already. Bayern were missing the 2 key players to the style over both legs and still showed great character and on a different night, who knows.

Liam O wrote: »
    Have you watched United recently? It's a poor man's Pep style already. Bayern were missing the 2 key players to the style over both legs and still showed great character and on a different night, who knows.

Without derailing the thread. There's a big difference. Utd are just finding their feet. You have no idea whats its going to be like down the line. Bayern and Pep are established where as utd and LVG arent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Considering the injuries Bayern had, losing 5-3 on aggregate was not bad at all. If the injuries had been the other way around, it's reasonable to say the scoreline likely would have been too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I doubt it. Barca are stronger all over the pitch. Defence, Midfield and up front. Robben is a big loss but he isn't going to overcome that on his own.

That doesn't make Bayern a poor team....just the second best team in Europe. There's no shame in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Kirby wrote: »
    I doubt it. Barca are stronger all over the pitch. Defence, Midfield and up front. Robben is a big loss but he isn't going to overcome that on his own.

That doesn't make Bayern a poor team....just the second best team in Europe. There's no shame in that.

Robben wasn't the only player missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Robben, Ribery, Martinez, Alaba missed the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

I think people overlook how difficult it is to win a champions leauge. thier is a reason nobody has won it back to back in the new format. Bayern are constantly going deep and they were not really shown up by Barcelona. Barca took chances and bayern did not take some of thiers. You can say Bayern missed Robben and Ribery and they probably are the kind of players who may have been more clinical.

Barca were ruthless in front of goal although in the first game nueur made some big stops also.

I think Pep has Bayern playing a well. They have won the title in germany, and although they got knocked out by Dotrmund in semi of cup they dominated that game for the most and maybe should have been out of sight.

If Bayern were underachieving they would be going out earlier than semi finals and struggling in the leauge. People can not be serious if they expect Bayern to win a treble every year. That does not happen.

Now onto an el clasico final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Even if Bayerns best team was fit, I couldnt see them beating Barca. Besides the subs, you also have to go back to the first game and question that starting formation.

If Bayern had all their players fit I doubt they would have lined up like they did in the first leg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

As a Bayern fan of sorts I must say they gave a good account of themselves. With current suads especially that mental Barca attacking trio I always felt Barca were slight favourites to go through. In the end it turned out that Bayern had it in them to progress but ultimately it was the third first leg goal that put it beyond Bayerns reach. And that third goal was down to a but of naivety I think. There was no reason to lose your shape after those two Messi goals that simply no one could have prevented. To come away from the nous camp 2:0 down wouldn't have been ideal but it would have been manageable.
    Of course both wingers out didn't help but that's not what put beyond Bayern, the third away goal was.
    Ah well there's always next year. No reason to be ashamed of what happened. Bayern are a true European powerhouse it just wasn't quite good enough against an unreal Barca attacking line.

Hoping for Juve now to prevent a typical Classico roll around whinge bag final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Is it just me who has zero interest in seeing a Barca - Real final? I don't think I can handle 90+ minutes of pathetic, childish petulance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You took ninja edit words out of my mouth. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Robben wouldn't have had to overcome the difference on his own. Look at the difference to Barca when Suarez went off. Imagine if Messi, Neymar and Alba had missed both legs and Suarez had been playing with a broken nose and jaw like Lewandowski was. Now add to that Lewandowski playing without the facial injuries, Robben, Ribery and Alaba all fit and playing. That's a huge swing in the quality of the two teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is it just me who has zero interest in seeing a Barca - Real final? I don't think I can handle 90+ minutes of pathetic, childish petulance.

Women's World Cup is on that night too, as I said previosuly, I'd rather watch 22 women than 22 sissy pricks rolling around all night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

So Bayern fire Pep and go out into the market looking for the manager with the best CV who's available.. guess who that'll be; the lad they've just fired.

His record is frigging incredible wrt to hauling home trophies. He'll get it right again. And the CL is extremely difficult to win underlined by the fact that it has never been retained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Lazy opinion. Anyone who has actually seen the last couple of Clasico's will know how even they've been. Yes there is tension & people dive/get booked, but it hasn't been nowhere near as bad as the fixture was a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kfallon wrote: »
    Women's World Cup is on that night too, as I said previosuly, I'd rather watch 22 women than 22 sissy pricks rolling around all night!

Difference being the women don't roll around or dive, etc. Seriously, the Women's World Cup is a breath of fresh air in that regard. The 2011 tournament was played in a great spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'd hate it also, but not for those reasons. last few Clasicos have been very "clean" relatively speaking.

I'd hate it simply as seeing the regime beating Barca in the biggest club final ever played will make me vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you can't compensate for the injuiries that Bayern have suffered. They sold Shaquiri as he wasnt getting a game, but he was sorely missed there yesterday for his pace and nimbleness and the likes of Lahm and Alonso and Schweinsteiger are tellingly the wrong side of 30.

And you always got the feeling that Barca could go into ninja attacking mode and score another goal if they could be bothered. That defense of Bayern just cant deal with the trickery of the Barca trio up front. Boateng is a horse of a defender, but a good sense of timing or positional awareness cant compensate for having the likes of Messi throwing shapes at full tilt towards goal.

Going on a tangent from the game analysis, I have to compliment the normally subdued Bayern crowd last night. The place was going bonkers till Barca equalised the opening goal, truely believed and willed the team on to perform a miracle, and even in the dying minutes they were willing their team on to ensure at least a win on the night.
    At last a wee bit of excitiment in the stadium !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimmick wrote: »
    I'd hate it also, but not for those reasons. last few Clasicos have been very "clean" relatively speaking.

I'd hate it simply as seeing the regime beating Barca in the biggest club final ever played will make me vomit.

I know, it would be great wouldn't it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I don't get why people are writing off pep off after this result hes missing 4 key players who would have made a huge difference and lets not forget bayern came up against the best attacking trio in world football at the minute its not like this was some small underdog team they should have never lost too.

I can understand not liking his style as it can be bad to watch when they overdo the passing.

I didnt hear anyone saying the same about Jose when he lost to PSG and doubting his ability.People questioning the German league as well when the premier league is not a great standard at the minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement