Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep's Great Escape? Bayern vs Barca. k/o 19:45, TV3, ITV

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sky88 wrote: »
    I don't get why people are writing off pep off after this result hes missing 4 key players who would have made a huge difference and lets not forget bayern came up against the best attacking trio in world football at the minute its not like this was some small underdog team they should have never lost too.

I can understand not liking his style as it can be bad to watch when they overdo the passing.

I didnt hear anyone saying the same about Jose when he lost to PSG and doubting his ability.People questioning the German league as well when the premier league is not a great standard at the minute.
    Anyone critising this bayern team for pointless endless over passing obviously dont actually watch their games.
    Grand, theres a bit of possession keeping being employed, but theres a massive amount of variety compared to peps old Barca style, with no lack of long balls to split a defense and crosses into the box to look for a header - stuff barca were loath to do under pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

sky88 wrote: »
    I don't get why people are writing off pep off after this result hes missing 4 key players who would have made a huge difference and lets not forget bayern came up against the best attacking trio in world football at the minute its not like this was some small underdog team they should have never lost too.

I can understand not liking his style as it can be bad to watch when they overdo the passing.

I didnt hear anyone saying the same about Jose when he lost to PSG and doubting his ability.People questioning the German league as well when the premier league is not a great standard at the minute.

I think there was an element of ineptitude about how he set up last night. Bayern had a massive task in needing 3 goals to level the tie, but more than anything they needed to keep Barca from scoring if they were to have a chance.

Playing a high line with three on three at the back was a baffling decision in that light. Especially when you consider the three he was defending against.

It's one game though, some folks just love to get carried away.

I think there was an element of ineptitude about how he set up last night. Bayern had a massive task in needing 3 goals to level the tie, but more than anything they needed to keep Barca from scoring if they were to have a chance.

Playing a high line with three on three at the back was a baffling decision in that light.

It's one game though, some folks just love to get carried away.
    Alonso was supposed to have been the extra man covering back to give 4 men, but he just hasnt the legs to do the role justice, not against Barca who punish you for being a couple of centimetres out of place, let alone still tracking back as the ball is being tapped into the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bayern had too be more adventurous going into tonight, but also needed some reassurance in defence.

Why the feck then did he opt for the "safe" option of Lahm at midfield when he's by a distance the best full-back he has to chose from tonight. Surely Thiago/Alonso/Schwein would suffice?

Pep over-thinks too much

Why was Lahm and a couple of others left on the pitch and Goetze not brought on until 3 minutes to go ?

Why the hell did he go three at the back again?
    Alonso doesn't have the pace anymore to try and cover the holes.

Pep has a fantastic record with Barca, but look at the players he had.
    He had probably the best midfielders and best player in the world at their prime.
    He took over an all winning Bayern team that was dominating German league, but he has been found out now in two CL semi finals.
    The Bundesliga is now a foregone conclusion in August nevermind April.

Yes he was missing a couple of players, but the way he set up was lunacy.
    And he wasn't missing some of those players last year and they were town apart by Real.
    cson wrote: »
    His record is frigging incredible wrt to hauling home trophies. He'll get it right again. And the CL is extremely difficult to win underlined by the fact that it has never been retained.

Question.
    How many of those trophies would have been won without Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, etc ?
    Winning the Bundesliga with that Bayern team isn't that much of an achievement nowadays.

I am not syaing he is a bad manager, but I definitely think he is far from the world's greatest as some would have you think.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Alonso was supposed to have been the extra man covering back to give 4 men, but he just hasnt the legs to do the role justice,

And yet Javi Martinez was sitting on the bench watching the game, how does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is Martinez not still recovering from a long term injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gimmick wrote: »

I don't know, but he came on as a sub so he's obviously available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don't know, but he came on as a sub so he's obviously available.

He came on for the last 5 minutes when the game was basically over. Think he was still recovering from Injury and wasn't match fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think pep will be fine so will Bayern. There is no shame going out in the semis let alone to that Barca team. Bundesliga will be fine too.
    No doubt Bayern are streets ahead of everyone else in the league but it won't be a foregone conclusion next year. Wolfsburg are showing great ambition both on the pitch as well as financially. Gladbach also showing a bit of a comeback having practically secured 3rd spot now after two failed attempts of getting in the CL group stages from 4th spot. Dortmund we'll see but they'll be thereabouts.
    Never nice to lose out but overall things are quite positive both for Munich and also for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I hope nobody is offended by my comment (and this is not aimed at you) but God love you all complaining of Pep's tactics and giving advice on how he should have done etc. I mean, he is a pretty susccessful professional coach (and was also a pro football player) and has been coaching for many years, has achieved more in 8 years than most professional coaches in a life time, etc.

But no, we still believe we could have done better than him. I mean, how many of us have actually ever coached (and not even professionally).

It would be like me giving Muhammad Ali advice on how to fight. Or me teaching Bale how to throw free kicks...

Are we all aware that this guys are way out of our league?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm sure most people are aware of this but the soccer forum would be pretty meaningless if nobody ever questioned a decision.

gimmick wrote: »
    He was out for 8 months with a serious knee injuiry, started training with the team just before the first leg against barca, played his first game against Leverkusen last week and then on the bench this week for the Barca game.

So basically he was far from match fit

Advertisement