Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canopy any one use one

Options
  • 12-05-2015 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭

Anyone use a tarp style canopy. Would like one to keep the showers out of sliding door. Just wondering how practical they are in windy rainy ireland. Drive away awning is a pain in tge rear for a short stay and I don't want a roll out / roll up awning on the van

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

moodrater wrote: »
    Anyone use a tarp style canopy. Would like one to keep the showers out of sliding door. Just wondering how practical they are in windy rainy ireland. Drive away awning is a pain in tge rear for a short stay and I don't want a roll out / roll up awning on the van

What about a pop up gazebo? Easy to put up, can drive away from it. Relatively small to carry around, cheap, sides can be put on it if required.

BTW I have one and never use it as I have a roll out awning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

*Kol* wrote: »
    What about a pop up gazebo? Easy to put up, can drive away from it. Relatively small to carry around, cheap, sides can be put on it if required.

BTW I have one and never use it as I have a roll out awning too.

Thanks, I'd still need a canopy or tarp of somekind to connect it to the van the keep the rain out of the sliding door. I once spent a kids party holding onto one of those with someone, ended like this :)

article-2159048-13A02D40000005DC-36_966x514.jpg

E-Z ups are sturdy and super quick. Sandbags can do Dad's job.
    I reckon it'd be safe enough store on a roof rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

It's hard to beat a roll out awning for handiness. Have you thought about getting a canopy made up and hooked up to the side of the van with the figure 8 connection? A couple of poles and guy ropes would secure it. I would imagine it would flap about in the wind though. Fairly annoying when you are in bed. I have gotten up a few times in the night to roll in the awning because of that.

*Kol* wrote: »
    It's hard to beat a roll out awning for handiness. Have you thought about getting a canopy made up and hooked up to the side of the van with the figure 8 connection? A couple of poles and guy ropes would secure it. I would imagine it would flap about in the wind though. Fairly annoying when you are in bed. I have gotten up a few times in the night to roll in the awning because of that.

I could make one up myself I have a decent sewing machine but the kador is half the price of a ready made one anyway:
    http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=203003&product=Sun%20Canopy%20[Roof%20Section]

Flapping definitely a problem, and pooling in the rain, I was planning to use an old dome tent pole drawn into a bow as a rafter to reduce flapping and pooling.

An alternative in my junk box is a triangular sail I was thinking of using with two corners on the van and one on the ground but in order to clear the door it would have to be raised about 12 inches above the roof so I'd have to fabricate some kind of standoffs. My kayak carriers might do the job now I think of it.

• Advertisement

Modify one of these?

awning-jpg.11744

Gwan you know you want to! :pac:

Modify one of these?

Gwan you know you want to! :pac:

Lol, mine would definitely have less gel coat and more baling twine .. thats given me a great idea though, I can fit about 1.6m bars inside the roof rack bars. I should be able to slide those out to about 1.5m. If I sew up a bit of tarp to slide over those then that takes care of the vertical rain at least.

Sounds like it'll work but how are you going to wire the down lighters?

Advertisement