Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junction at Beech Road, Irishtown

• 12-05-2015 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody is familiar with this junction and how people approach this junction. I thought I had a good road position, but I left enough room for a car to pass me and he did so at speed.

Before the junction there's two lanes which splits into four. The marking on the lanes turning right is quite clear, but the lanes to the left are not marked great. I tried staying left before but found that it was quite dangerous. There's always a line of traffic in the left turning lane. I want to go straight ahead. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Granolite

Scary stuff..i would be all for submitting that to the Gardai Siochana to follow up with the owner of that vehicle. He/she deliberately crossed a solid line hatched line area to make the pass, crossing over from the right turn lane unto Irishtown Road.

Personally speaking I would often take that route myself and via that intersection. You had every right in my opinion to take the right hand lane and hold priority on it until you cleared the stationary silver car in the left hand lane. Would I be right in saying the lane the stationary car is in is left turn only lane?

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Granolite wrote: »
    Scary stuff..i would be all for submitting that to the Gardai Siochana to follow up with the owner of that vehicle. He/she deliberately crossed a solid line hatched line area to make the pass, crossing over from the right turn lane unto Irishtown Road.

Personally speaking I would often take that route myself and via that intersection. You had every right in my opinion to take the right hand lane and hold priority on it until you cleared the stationary silver car in the left hand lane. Would I be right in saying the lane the stationary car is in is left turn only lane?

Yea it's a left turn only lane. On other occasions cars have used that lane to undertake you to go straight on. So it's really hard to judge where you should be without getting people angry, or putting your life on the line. I don't think I am cycling that slow at all. I will check the garmin later and see what speed I was doing at this point.

I shouldn't think it ought to matter what speed you were doing..if my interpretation of the rules of the road are correct you had right of way and should have automatic priority in this lane - where no overtaking is allowed - until you cleared the junction.

A car undertaking you in the left hand lane and going straight on sounds just as bad if not worse.

From a safety point of view and maintaining a defensive position maybe staying in the left hand lane (when its clear of traffic) to cross the junction is the best personal solution to this problem. On other occasions - where traffic is waiting at the red light to take the left turn - as the camera has demonstrated taking a more prominent position in centre of right hand lane may be best approach to avoid risky overtakes in future? I'd still treat this junction with a lot of caution..and proceed to forward evidence of these dangerous overtakes into Irishtown Garda station.

just watched that video again..that is absolutely lethal stuff by that driver..please report to Gardai without delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I drive through there every day and it's dangerous in a car never mind on a bike. The car that went past you was in the lane to turn right on to Sean Moore Road. Drivers that are unfamiliar with the junction always just plough through when they realise they're in the wrong lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I cycle through it everyday but take the left most of the right turning lanes (if that makes sense) towards the Eastlink.

I think the problem could be solved by redoing the road markings.

At the end of Beach Road there are 2 lanes. Left lane is marked "City Centre" right lane is marked "Toll Bridge"

however when you go straight from the "City Centre" lane it brings you pretty much into the left of the right turning lanes. This is fine if you are going towards the Eastlink but if not you end up veering across the hatch lines or continuous white line. Most motorists are familiar with the junction but if you are not used to it as a driver this can easily happen.

Marking out a lane on the road from the left "City Centre" lane away from the two right turning lanes would be a help. The markings are very worn at present.

For the OP I would stay to the left of the City Centre lane and place yourself slightly to the right of the left turning lane at the garage to go straight but its not easy. If it is a major problem you could leave Beach road at a previous left turn and go via Sandymount village area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

If you had been trying to go right towards the toll bridge after seeing this fellow in the right turning lane you could have ended up with a face full of toyota.

There must be a snappy acronym (a la SMIDSY) for Sorry Mate, I Clearly Saw You, But Then I Decided My Own Temporary Convenience Was More Important Than Your Continued Wellbeing And Ploughed On Through Regardless?

SMICSYBTIDMOTCWMITYCWAPOTR??

What did you do when you caught up with him in the Ringer? Baleful glare or bloody vengeance?

Advertisement