Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning programming basics for interview

Options
  • 12-05-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I studied Electronic Engineering in college but made the move to programming after finishing. I've spent the last few years working in developing web apps. I've found in the past that when I've gone for job interviews that even though I know how to code I get tripped up on questions that I imagine are fundamental to comp sci e.g. algorithims, datastructures etc.

What's the best way to learn these fundamentals, I hope that it will help me in interviews but also make me a better developer. I'm open to learning by myself, however I lack motivation sometimes so I would also welcome a course.

Has anyone any suggestions on books/tutorials/video series or courses (open to college courses) in the Dublin area to help me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Have a read of "Problem solving with algorithms and data structures" by miller & ranum

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://exercism.io/

Basically gives you challenges to do and lets you upload your solutions for other people to review. You can also review other peoples' solutions if you get stuck.

Should help you develop some understanding of OOP, algorithms, etc. Also introduces you to development tools like IDEs, source control, unit testing etc.

Can be a little bit inaccessible to get started, you might need to go over the instructions a few times, but after that it's plain sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Have a read of "Problem solving with algorithms and data structures" by miller & ranum

Cool I'll try and pick up a copy of this.

Are there other area's that would be considered basic to Comp Sci graduates, or pretty much areas that would be basic to someone looking for programming jobs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Advertisement