Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garmin - FR225 with optical heartrate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Just make sure it includes the chest strap if you need one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

tailgunner wrote: »
    Just make sure it includes the chest strap if you need one!

I don't think it does. I have one already and have only used it once so not worried if it doesn't. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

fitness digital isn't an irish store, it's an .ie paged version of a Spanish site. given you can get it from a proper irish retailer for almost the same price i'd not be buying from a Spanish site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

UPDATE! Tonight's twin-Garmin test run was an unqualified success. Positioning the 225 further up my arm, with the 210 below it, and tightening the strap, made a huge difference. I'll get into the details later, about to have dinner, but the parallel hrm tracking was actually quite impressive. Laters.

• Advertisement

As promised, details of tonight's run. The links are below, and I reckon they mirror each other almost completely. The two devices agreed on the distance, average and peak HR, are a second out on pace, and, over 7.6m, mere seconds apart on time. I wasn't particularly concerned about anything other than the HR, but I wonder did having the two watches side by side on the same wrist have anything to do with the pace/distance/time convergence. You do hear people opining that the motion of the arm bearing the device has some sort of effect. The only time the devices disagreed was at the very start, when they were 10 beats apart just before I started actually running.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/827308118

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/827312781

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Glad to hear you had a better experience with it last night.

Took it out on a walk with the dog today. It stayed in place and performed well again. Maybe I haven't bought a pig in a poke after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Just to jump in on this one. I bought this as an upgrade to my forerunner 10. I would regard myself as a beginner (more a cyclist with identity issues!) and do not have any other hr to compare it to but have been pleased so far. I have a Garmin for my bike and am pretty familiar with their products and software. I wear it nice and snug just above wrist bone as directed. I have not experienced any spikes or fall offs. My data shows a nice steady line which correlates with my steady run commute. Haven't tested it with intervals yet. Re gps lock on- its super fast which I like. I hated waiting for satellites to lock. Pleased so far and the only negative worth sharing is that you have to wear it tight but id rather have it on my wrist than a chest strap.

At the track tonight. During the warm-up it was fine, and for the first 5 or 6 800s the values look pretty good. However, at the end of the 8, I noticed that the watch had slid down my arm with the sweat, and sure enough the last 3 show spikes over 200bpm. I pushed it back up for our cool-down, and it seemed to do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Another mini-hijack by me.

So I've ordered the 220 with HRM and as previously mentioned the one I've had I've only used once but people swear/recommend HR training so my aim, like a lot in life, is to try this at some point.

Then reading this got confused was Dave testing the 220 or 225 (I know as the name suggests).

What would recommendation be for 220 v 225? I have to say I did love the dcrainmaker review on the 220.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

aquinn wrote: »
    Another mini-hijack by me.

So I've ordered the 220 with HRM and as previously mentioned the one I've had I've only used once but people swear/recommend HR training so my aim, like a lot in life, is to try this at some point.

Then reading this got confused was Dave testing the 220 or 225 (I know as the name suggests).

What would recommendation be for 220 v 225? I have to say I did love the dcrainmaker review on the 220.

Thanks

I don't own either but my understanding is that the 225 is the updated version of the 220, the main difference being that the 225 has an optical hrm so you don't need a chest strap. I think dave was comparing the two. The 225 costs a lot more than the 220 though.

Dcrainmaker does a good review of the 225 (think it's in the op) and compares it to the 220.

chickey2 wrote: »
    I don't own either but my understanding is that the 225 is the updated version of the 220, the main difference being that the 225 has an optical hrm so you don't need a chest strap. I think dave was comparing the two. The 225 costs a lot more than the 220 though.

Dcrainmaker does a good review of the 225 (think it's in the op) and compares it to the 220.

That's correct, I've been reporting on the 225. If you care to read through previous posts, the 225's optical hrm has been unreliable, but seems to work fine when worn further up the wrist, ie in a fleshier area, and buckled as tightly as possible. I will post ingoing reports of its performance.

A tempo run today, with a 2 mile warm-up. As far as I can see, the ohr performed perfectly. You can see the progression up to the 2 mile mark, then the jump when the tempo starts, and another orderly progression up to a high of 163 bpm, which is just about right. Again, the only issue is needing to keep an eye out for slippage when the arms are slick with sweat.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/833060441

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

davedanon wrote: »
    Again, the only issue is needing to keep an eye out for slippage when the arms are slick with sweat.

Thanks for posting your experience and device comparisons. Your watch slippage issue - is this something your have experienced with other garmins? The reason I ask is that I've never experienced it myself with the 110 or the 220 band I'm wondering if it relates to the addition of the sensor underneath the watchface on the 225 that causes the watch to move.

donnacha wrote: »
    Thanks for posting your experience and device comparisons. Your watch slippage issue - is this something your have experienced with other garmins? The reason I ask is that I've never experienced it myself with the 110 or the 220 band I'm wondering if it relates to the addition of the sensor underneath the watchface on the 225 that causes the watch to move.

No, I think it's because I'm wearing it higher up the arm, and it naturally tends to slip down to where the arm is narrower. There's a rubber light-seal around the sensor as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Best deals on the 220 with strap and 225 out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 woodie136

Hi just jumping in here. Have u ran in the rain yet. I lost my last Garmin to a very wet run and I'm a bit concerned about the optical hrm getting exposed to rain on the 225. I was very disappointed to lose my last watch and don't want to spend a load of money if it's gonna happen again. This thread is real good though thanks

woodie136 wrote: »
    Hi just jumping in here. Have u ran in the rain yet. I lost my last Garmin to a very wet run and I'm a bit concerned about the optical hrm getting exposed to rain on the 225. I was very disappointed to lose my last watch and don't want to spend a load of money if it's gonna happen again. This thread is real good though thanks

I've worn it in all weathers, including the Half in Charleville where it was absolutely teeming down for much of the race, and had no issues. I've had no issues of that sort since my very first 110, which used to get condensation inside the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 burgerland

I have this watch since July and have no complaints to date. I have lost the heart rate a couple of times, once when in the rain. Initially I thought the rain was causing this but in hindsight I wasn't wearing the watch high enough over the wrist and tightening the strap. Never had this issue since once the watch is worn correctly as indicated in the instruction manual.

The optical sensor is usually covered in sweat at the end of a run and this has never affected the watches performance. It picks up satellite signal really quickly and its overall functionality is excellent. Well worth the buy if your looking to ditch the heart rate strap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Currently stg £189 on amazon uk.
    Cheapest I've seen so far.
    (thinking about ordering :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

aoboa wrote: »
    Currently stg £189 on amazon uk.
    Cheapest I've seen so far.
    (thinking about ordering :) )

That's a great deal. Mmmm tempted myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

I bought the FR2325 in August. My first "proper" running watch having previously used a phone app. Have to say I have been really pleased with it. Used it pretty much every day since then. It picks up a GPS fix in a few seconds, the heart rate sensor seems to be very reliable, the strap is comfortable and the whole thing is a well engineered bit of kit

I've downloaded some training programmes to it and it is very intuitive to use. I started using the fitness tracking as well so it counts your footsteps against a target per day.

The only thing that didn't work well for me was sleep monitoring as the watch is a little too big to wear in bed.

I paid €305 for it and I see it is available considerably cheaper now..

highly recommend it.

I paid €305 for it and I see it is available considerably cheaper now..

Works out about €255, or €50 less than I paid for it a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Just ordered this for 231 euros from wiggle. Should get it just in time for the Dublin City Marathon.

Just ordered this for 231 euros from wiggle. Should get it just in time for the Dublin City Marathon.

Don't know if you're familiar with the 220, which is basically the same watch without the ohr, but I found it a big jump from the 210. Took me a while to figure out how to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

davedanon wrote: »
    Don't know if you're familiar with the 220, which is basically the same watch without the ohr, but I found it a big jump from the 210. Took me a while to figure out how to set it up.

The last garmin I had was the old 405. Didn't really get on with it. Its sitting in a drawer somewhere for the last few years. I've been using a fitbit surge. However I been watching reviews on youtube and they all seem to be positive about the 225. I'll only have a few days to figure out how to use it but I should be ok.

Bought one and have been using it for the last week.
    Heartrate seems really solid to me. Great watch.
    Was having trouble with the bluetooth sync. Worked first few times. Then never. Then only if I powered it on and off but then only half the time. Seems common enough if you google it.
    Solution I found was to leave the bluetooth switched off on the watch until you want to sync and only then turn it on. Has been syncing reliably for me since I started doing that.
    Hopefully they fix it in an update.

aoboa wrote: »
    Bought one and have been using it for the last week.
    Heartrate seems really solid to me. Great watch.
    Was having trouble with the bluetooth sync. Worked first few times. Then never. Then only if I powered it on and off but then only half the time. Seems common enough if you google it.
    Solution I found was to leave the bluetooth switched off on the watch until you want to sync and only then turn it on. Has been syncing reliably for me since I started doing that.
    Hopefully they fix it in an update.

I just had to change mine. The optical HR stopped working. Got a replacement easily enough though. I've had no problems with the bluetooth. Don't get what you mean about only turning it on when you want to sync. Unless I've been doing it wrong, you turn the bluetooth on by turning the gps on, ie as though you're going for a run. You wouldn't have that on all the time, surely.

• Advertisement

You can turn the bluetooth off completely in the Settings menu, so even when you put it into Run mode it won't sync.
    In my case when I switch into run mode the bluetooth only ever connected intermittently. The watch would say it was connected but the phone would say it wasn't. And there was no way out of it without turning the watch off and on again.
    Now if I want to sync I put it into run mode, turn bluetooth on in the Settings menu and it syncs first time. Then I turn it off again.
    Loads of people on the Garmin forums giving out about it.

Advertisement