Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting question

Options
  • 12-05-2015 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Would you rather do a job that pays very well but is rather stressfull and time consuming or a job that pays okay but us rather relaxing/and or you like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

I could deal with a stressful job as long it's doing something I enjoy or find interesting. So as long g as it's the right kind of work, I'd take more money and deal with the stress

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cian1997

I could deal with a stressful job as long it's doing something I enjoy or find interesting. So as long g as it's the right kind of work, I'd take more money and deal with the stress

Good point. Considering how much time your job takes up and it's huge impact on your life I'd much rather take up a relaxing job perhaps with long holidays.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cian1997 wrote: »
    Ould you rather do a job that pays very well but is rather stressfull and time consuming or a job that pays okay but us rather relaxing/and or you like?c

You can have a job that pays very well and is enjoyable too?

Stheno wrote: »

Yes that's true but unfortunately is often rare. Generally I find that a lot of people seem to dislike there job due to them not really having a passion for what there doing. In my school setting at least people seem to be doing college courses based on where the money rather than something they have a genuine interest in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Stheno wrote: »

This is the ideal of course, but no matter how much you were getting paid, it would not be worth it to have a job you hated and all the negative effects that would bring on health/relationships etc.. Stressful working conditions and long hours are not a problem if you love what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Personally, I think sacrificing some well-being and pleasure is required to obtain great pleasure. If the job you hate gives A LOT more money, then do it for a year or two. Keep your head down and work hard. Don't do anything too drastic, and just save. After said period, you can leave. You will have a nice bank account, and now you can pursue your desires and go for your dreams (probably for much longer period since now you have money to fall back on).

Money isn't the be all and end all, but if your dreams and desires require money (or offers little money in return) - then it's nice to not have to worry about money.

We all do things we hate (study, dieting, exercising, saving etc) so we can have greater joy later.

Personally, I think sacrificing some well-being and pleasure is required to obtain great pleasure. If the job you hate gives A LOT more money, then do it for a year or two. Keep your head down and work hard. Don't do anything too drastic, and just save. After said period, you can leave. You will have a nice bank account, and now you can pursue your desires and go for your dreams (probably for much longer period since now you have money to fall back on).

Money isn't the be all and end all, but if your dreams and desires require money (or offers little money in return) - then it's nice to not have to worry about money.

We all do things we hate (study, dieting, exercising, saving etc) so we can have greater joy later.

Interesting point of view. Always good to have a bit of money to fall back on

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Depends where the stress is coming from I suppose, multiple deadlines are one thing, other employees accusing you of bulllying them etc. is entirely different. I'd agree with DublinArnie in most respects but if it gets unbearable, get out.

Advertisement