Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying this house plant?

Options
  • 12-05-2015 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Can anyone help me identify this plant?

I got it as a present over Christmas (the glitter on the leaves was sprayed on at the supermarket) and I'm trying to figure out how best to take care of it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

lizzyman wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Can anyone help me identify this plant?

I got it as a present over Christmas (the glitter on the leaves was sprayed on at the supermarket) and I'm trying to figure out how best to take care of it.

Thanks.

Nothing like a little bling...

It's a double flowered Kalanchoe. Easy keep, threat a little like a cactus. Somewhere bright and not too much water, especially in winter.

Mind you, they can be difficult to get to reflower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

lk67 wrote: »
    Nothing like a little bling...

It's a double flowered Kalanchoe. Easy keep, threat a little like a cactus. Somewhere bright and not too much water, especially in winter.

Mind you, they can be difficult to get to reflower.

Thanks so much!

The leaves sprayed with glitter started to rot and turn brown so I pruned them off a few weeks ago and it's been looking a bit healthier since then. Still a few glittery bits but I didn't want to prune too much in one go.

There's an annoying habit amongst Dutch growers to spray, dye and sparkle anything that grows. Keep an eye out for bright blue orchids!

It's not great for the plants but it's because on the continent most flowering houseplants are treated like bedding plants and are discarded after blooming.

They don't mind them afterwards like we do!

I can't decide if they are right or wrong with that mentality...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lk67 wrote: »
    I can't decide if they are right or wrong with that mentality...
    Ah, I couldn't let something intentionally die! Even if it's a plant I feel like a murderer. I hung onto spider plants and a Wandering Jew plant for waaaaay too long even after it was clear that I was getting into a 'Day of the Triffids' situation.

kylith wrote: »
    Ah, I couldn't let something intentionally die! Even if it's a plant I feel like a murderer. I hung onto spider plants and a Wandering Jew plant for waaaaay too long even after it was clear that I was getting into a 'Day of the Triffids' situation.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

But some plants like the Kalanchoe are not easy to get to reflower so I can understand the mentality to a certain extent. Mind you, I'm not sure I could throw a healthy one on the compost heap either!

Orchids are treated the same way but I have 3 in the house surviving, reflowering and thriving on neglect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement