Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Engineer to Electrician?

Options
  • 12-05-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering is it possible for someone with an honors degree in Electronic Engineering to become an Electrician without serving as an apprentice?

For instance; could you just take the exams and then become a certified electrician, provided you pass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No because over half of it is on the job experience training. You get assessed on you actual work on site during phase 3,5 and 7. You won't know most of the material from having a degree in electronic engineering to pass the exams anyway.

It's a minimum of 4 years time served to get your papers anyway assuming you pass all your exams first time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^
    What he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

No because over half of it is on the job experience training. You get assessed on you actual work on site during phase 3,5 and 7. You won't know most of the material from having a degree in electronic engineering to pass the exams anyway.

It's a minimum of 4 years time served to get your papers anyway assuming you pass all your exams first time.

Thanks Captain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hi,

I was wondering is it possible for someone with an honors degree in Electronic Engineering to become an Electrician without serving as an apprentice?

For instance; could you just take the exams and then become a certified electrician, provided you pass?

they couldn't allow that - otherwise in a few short years it'd be like this :
    they came over the hill just like ballet dancers
    one in nine had served their time
    the rest were f*****g chancers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This thread illustrates the difference between the syllabus of an electrical apprenticeship and an engineering degree. As has been alluded to above the theoretical part of an electrical apprenticeship is only a part of the training the remaining 75% is all about practical skills learnt by being "on your tools".

There is such a demand for electrical engineers at the moment I am surprised when some express an interest in becoming an electrician. The trend is generally in the other direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

i have a degree in electronic engineering and had to serve my 4 year apprenticeship in full...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

They are very different IMHO.
    If it was electrical and not electronic it would be more similar but there is no easy route I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Completely different I have a hons degree in electronic engineering. Electronic engineering is very different it, electrical engineering would be more similar. Tbh your better off doing a cross over course to convert from electronics to electrical.

Advertisement