Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sewer rod stuck in drain near septic tank outlet..

• 12-05-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys, just looking for your advice please on a situation if you will, or if any of you can recommend a service to me, that would be even better, a cost effective service would be even better :)

Anway, I'm renting a house on the border of Clare and Galway, the house has a septic tank that has been giving trouble since we moved in a couple of years ago back up and getting blocked all the time. So we got it emptied and still it block up. So long story short we had to get sewer rods and every 2-3 weeks we have to go out and plunge the drain right beside the septic tank, about 2-3 feet from it, thats where it seems to get clogged all the time.

So, around xmas time I was using the plunger head on the rod and it literally snapped off, not screwed off, but actually snapped off the rod and got stuck in drain outlet right beside the actual septic tank.

I then went out and bought the worm head and tried to push the plunger head out into the septic tank, but it never fully work but with a lot of persistance it got the water through.

Now the worm head has become stuck in the drain too, this time it was my fault, it screwed off.

So I have multiple rod heads stuck in the drain right where the water exits into the septic tank.

I have never actually opened the lid of the tank as I'm totally unfamiliar with septic tanks, just moved west from Dublin so I'm in unfamiliar territory in regards septic tank maintenance.

So can anyone recommend me any cost effective way of me removing the heads myself ? I tried calling a few drainage places this evening but they were all closed. Just like to know if I can try anything myself before I call in the professionals.

Cheers guys

Focus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭bax4556

Take lid off tank and access exit pipe from there Use a 4ft length of 2x2 timber with a 4in nail driven right thru it to negotiate around trapped items and pull them towards you into the tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

First off, Be careful,
    I think people have died from asphyxiation in slurry pits, I dont know if its possible in a septic tank, but I wouldnt do it alone so someone could offer or call for assistance in the event someone fell in and took a knock to the head (drown?) not sure how fluid the contents are.
    the thing is, this is a rented property, I either suggest you get a professional or inform the landlord and then get a professional, which you will have to pay for as you have put a few different parts down there

Dont septic tanks need to be cleaned out every so often? Id have thought any residual matter might have use but Ive seen one where the lid was concrete and didnt look like it could be moved without a hoist.
    I certainly wouldnt be keen and jumping into one, not least without a full set of waders on and a ladder to get out, even then Id be looking into testing that its safe, maybe lower a canary in first?
    Id have thought the run of drain pipes to the tank would have been straightforward but maybe there is a bend in there to prevent gases leaking back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I lost a Drop scraper head from a Rod today when trying to clear a blockage. Is there another method as the entrance to the pipe is actually a good bit below ground?

Advertisement