Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to find accommodation for college year now?

• 12-05-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Just wondering how people find houses/rooms etc to rent before summer starts for the next college year?
    Any postings on daft.ie/rent.ie are for letting by June, so I'm just really enquiring how/where you find properties in May available to rent in September.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Long story short you'll find it very difficult to get a place now with lease starting in September. Even then it will still be a 12 month lease so you'll be paying for it for next summer. It's a landlords market, you either get in early now or join the lengthy and competitive queue in August/September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

Just wondering how people find houses/rooms etc to rent before summer starts for the next college year?
    Any postings on daft.ie/rent.ie are for letting by June, so I'm just really enquiring how/where you find properties in May available to rent in September.

Thanks!
    Long story short you'll find it very difficult to get a place now with lease starting in September. Even then it will still be a 12 month lease so you'll be paying for it for next summer. It's a landlords market, you either get in early now or join the lengthy and competitive queue in August/September

As the poster above said this is definitely the case in Dublin, 12 month leases nearly everywhere, the only way to avoid it is by subletting yourself for the summer (with landlords permission).
    If you're not in Dublin you may get a 9 or 10 month lease if you're lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

So when should you go looking for student accommodation? Late July/ August? Will there be 9 month leases from September-May available then? I don't ideally want to pay for rent over the summer that I don't need to be paying for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

So when should you go looking for student accommodation? Late July/ August? Will there be 9 month leases from September-May available then? I don't ideally want to pay for rent over the summer that I don't need to be paying for...

That should be the ideal time. Problem is it's the ideal time for everyone. Limited supply means there's less on the market, and more looking for it. Very few 9 month leases now, it's a landlord's market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Some of my friends do host families. Students stay Sunday night to Friday, get breakfast and full dinner. Good option for first year students. One girl charges €120 for twin, €140 for single and another charges €150 single, not sure why the difference in price, includes all utilities etc All the students get their own key and come and go as they please. Might be an option for some students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MiriamSearson

cassid wrote: »
    Some of my friends do host families. Students stay Sunday night to Friday, get breakfast and full dinner. Good option for first year students. One girl charges €120 for twin, €140 for single and another charges €150 single, not sure why the difference in price, includes all utilities etc All the students get their own key and come and go as they please. Might be an option for some students.

Hi, could you be so kind to provide a contact person and more details. thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi, could you be so kind to provide a contact person and more details. thanks !

By pm only.

Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Hey, you see ads for host families on homestay/college cribs or contact the accommodation officer in your college or students union. They may have names of host families.

Advertisement