Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds or plants (again!)

Options
  • 12-05-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi folks, more unknown plants/weeds..... the second one has a flower bud which looks a bit like a poppy, but the plant looks a bit big (compared to what I'm used to in Australia at least).

The first one is quite delicate, and there are lots of the third type popping up everywhere.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first one is a spurge (euphorbia) - some would be regarded as weeds, some as welcome garden plants.
    second is quite similar to some poppies we have growing in our garden, ours don't look as big but the foliage is very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

3rd one is hard to see because it is being choked by bind weed - the twining, vine like plant with oval/circular shaped leaves. Bind weed is very invasive and you should kill it as quickly and carefully as you can. Pulling it out is usually ineffective because even the smallest part left behind will sprout again.

The euphorbia is a matter of preference but if you decide to weed it out be sure to wear gloves. The white sap is a skin irritant and can cause blistering in some people, especially in bright sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

I only noticed the bindweed in the photo now you mention it... I'll have to try remove it tomorrow. I have been pulling it out from other places already.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Third one is a willow herb, Epilobium sp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

OP , mind if I hijack your thread ? Can anyone tell me what this is ? Lots around hedging this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

OP , mind if I hijack your thread ? Can anyone tell me what this is ? Lots around hedging this year

That's creeping buttercup. Can be a bit of a pain...

lk67 wrote: »
    That's creeping buttercup. Can be a bit of a pain...

Ah, so it is ! Thanks ... No flowers on it yet ! It's isolated to around hedging and stems are huge !
    But it's probably better than the bindweed that I have in the same stretch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's one of those plants where the stems break more easily that the roots, so you end up leaving chunks in the ground if you're not careful.

It can take over an area very quickly and smothers everything else around it. The roots are very fibrous and difficult to pull out so I've always ended up using weedkiller. If there's other plants nearby you can always use a small paint brush to dab the weedkiller onto the leaves instead of spraying.

Just a 3 year old beech hedge near it (and the bind weed). I was pulling it by the roots but a lot of it is right up against the hedge trunks and I do not want to disturb them. I'll be brushing the bindweed later in the year and will do these then too - Any chance they will smother the bindweed? :)

• Advertisement

Just a 3 year old beech hedge near it (and the bind weed). I was pulling it by the roots but a lot of it is right up against the hedge trunks and I do not want to disturb them. I'll be brushing the bindweed later in the year and will do these then too - Any chance they will smother the bindweed? :)
    The bindweed and creeping buttercup have different habits - one goes up and one spreads outwards so they don't compete too much. I honestly wouldnt wait too long to treat them. The expression "grows like a weed" could have been made for both. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You can get buttercups out quite neatly with the tip of a trowel, insert under rooting spot and prise 'em out, roots and all. They spread by runners which root at the nodes, so cast your eye critically over the area.

The only way to get rid of bindweed is to isolate some of the leaves and treat with weedkiller.

Advertisement