Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shallow LED downlights

Options
  • 12-05-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I'm installing an airtight membrane in a new build at the moment, along the rafter line.
    Below the airtight membrane there will be 50mm counter battens with 50mm wool type insulation between them. Below that will be 12.5mm plasterboard.
    The wool will be pushed back in places to allow for LED downlights.

From AT membrane to front of plasterboard I'll have approx 62-65mm space.
    Don't think this is deep enough for usual LED GU10 fittings (but I could be wrong).
    Essentially, I'm looking for recommendations for shallow led downlights if anyone knows of any decent products. I could mount other types of lights below the ceiling but it's not the look I'm after.

Recommendations by PM if necessary.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Google Halers H2 op. They solve the depth solution, whether having them so close to the membrane will present problems I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Another option here.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Flood wrote: »
    Google Halers H2 op. They solve the depth solution, whether having them so close to the membrane will present problems I dont know.

Will have a look, thanks. Not much breathing room though. Will see if I can find a data sheet that shows temps at back of unit.

Edit: found a datasheet but it only details a 'face temp when lit = 50c'

Hoagy wrote: »
    Another option here.

Interesting. The units look to have a wider beam angle and are shallow at 52mm.
    Found a 40mm deep SMD led downlight but in China...won't go that far.

Will ping the vendor a mail and see if they have info on temp at rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://gb.auroralighting.com/

Have a look. At aurora's range of you are interested in firerated units.

You can call them if you find the site difficult to navigate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I got a set of three downlighters in B+Q that were sort of like you describe. It was an integrated bulb type of thing (you can't change the bulb). I bought it because I thought it would make it a bit easier to deal with the insulation in the attic above them, and I think it did help.

They weren't particularly cheap, but they suited the requirement.

I cannot find them on the B & Q website, though there are some cabinet lights there that are similar.

This looks like vaguely the same sort of thing. https://www.lightrabbit.ie/10w-integrated-led-downlight-750-lumens-white.html

http://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-gu10-or-integrated-led-downlights.html

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

OP I previously had a customer who fitted an airtight membrane and his joists below began to rot. Apparently they sweated which caused the rot. I would look into this type of membrane if I were you. Of course my customer probably fitted the wrong membrane!

ShamFeen wrote: »
    OP I previously had a customer who fitted an airtight membrane and his joists below began to rot. Apparently they sweated which caused the rot. I would look into this type of membrane if I were you. Of course my customer probably fitted the wrong membrane!

Thanks ShamFeen. It's a pretty standard construction detail however. Airtightness is an important part of an efficient build these days...provided the right membrane is fitted of course. Something like a sheet of polythene might be airtight but it needs to be able to breathe somewhat to be effective.

Stoner wrote: »
    http://gb.auroralighting.com/

Have a look. At aurora's range of you are interested in firerated units.

You can call them if you find the site difficult to navigate

Thanks Stoner. I popped a mail off to the Aurora folks and waiting to see what they have to suit my situation.

As a last resort I can cut a hole in the AT membrane, and carve out some of the insulation behind this, to form a recess. Will have to airtight around this recess with more membrane but this will give me the space to allow for fire rated downlights and have a buffer of space behind..

Advertisement