Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CSFC QF: Leitrim v. Galway ; Carrick-on-Shannon; 17th May @3:30

• 12-05-2015 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Thread to discuss Leitrim v. Galway

Last meeting: Galway defeated Leitrim 0-17 to 1-10 in Carrick

Galway Team
    1. Brian O'Donoghue
    2. Johnny Duane 3. Finian Hanley 4. Cathal Sweeney
    5. Liam Silke 6. Gary O'Donnell 7. Sean Denvir
    8. Fiontan O'Curraoin 9. Paul Conroy (c)
    10. Gary Sice 11. Shane Walsh 12. Micheal Lundy
    13. Peadar O'Griofa 14. Damien Comer 15. Danny Cummins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Over by half time this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

iDave wrote: »
    Over by half time this one.

I doubt that. Leitrim in Carrick is rarely easy. I'd expect Galway to win but not with the ease you're suggesting. This is a Galway team that has struggled in these sort of games in recent years. And while there's been some signs of improvement, I don't think we're in a position to take any team for granted at the moment.

Given our results in recent years (losing to Antrim, almost losing to Waterford etc) I don't think Leitrim have any reason to fear this Galway team. They will feel they have a chance of causing an upset and Galway will need to be on their game and play for the full 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Kevin Walsh won't be taking Leitrim for granted either as he was Sligo manager in 2011 when they lost at home to Leitrim. Leitrim are now managed by Shane Ward of Donegal who was manager of Leitrim u21s last year when they pulled off a shock win against Galway the defending All Ireland champions in Carrick. They set up defensive that day and won a low scoring game no doubt he will try the same with Leitrim seniors but I think after a close 1st half I would expect Galway to kick on with a few goals to run out comfortable winners.

Leitrim 0-10 Galway 2-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Likely starting teams?

How many Corofin players will start for Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Likely starting teams?

Probably only 3 Corofin starters Lundy,Sice and Silke.

Hard to know who is first choice goal keeper as I think 4 keepers have been given starts this year.

So likely Galway team.. keeper? Duane,Hanley,C Sweeney,Silke,Bradshaw,O Donnell,O Curraoin,Conroy,Sice,Flynn,O Griofa,Lundy,Comer,Walsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Likely starting teams?

3 I think. Lundy. Sice and Silke.

As for the game itself going to Carrick is always tough but no Emlyn Mulligan is a big loss for Leitrim although they did finish their league campaign quite well. Leitrim will want to keep it tight and not get involved in a free flowing open game of football. From their perspective the longer they can keep it close the more Galway might get agitated and start making mistakes. Galway's weakness is definitely in defence though. From number 8 up they have the look of a pretty strong outfit albeit a fair few of those players are still relatively inexperienced at senior level. Talent wise they have some real gems in that area of the field though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I doubt that. Leitrim in Carrick is rarely easy. I'd expect Galway to win but not with the ease you're suggesting. This is a Galway team that has struggled in these sort of games in recent years. And while there's been some signs of improvement, I don't think we're in a position to take any team for granted at the moment.

Given our results in recent years (losing to Antrim, almost losing to Waterford etc) I don't think Leitrim have any reason to fear this Galway team. They will feel they have a chance of causing an upset and Galway will need to be on their game and play for the full 70.

If Galway are up to anything it will be over at half-time.

Leitrim without Emlyn Mulligan isn't a threat to many teams in the country. People wanting to big up Leitrim's chances would be better served looking at their results this year than underage or irrelevant matches involving Kevin Walsh in the past; they didn't win a Division 4 match until round 5 of the league.

Syferus wrote: »
    If Galway are up to anything it will be over at half-time.

Leitrim without Emlyn Mulligan isn't a threat to many teams in the country. People wanting to big up Leitrim's chances would be better served looking at their results this year than underage or irrelevant matches involving Kevin Walsh in the past; they didn't win a Division 4 match until round 5 of the league.

In 2012 a last minute Kildare goal prevented Galway from gaining promotion to division one. That summer Galway ended up losing to Sligo Antrim two div 3 sides at the time with few league wins that spring. Galway on this occasion might be better served to not read into league results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Galway Team in first post

In 2012 a last minute Kildare goal prevented Galway from gaining promotion to division one. That summer Galway ended up losing to Sligo Antrim two div 3 sides at the time with few league wins that spring. Galway on this occasion might be better served to not read into league results.

Which is pretty irrelevant to this game too. It's all anecdotes that ignore where the two teams are at today in May 2015, there is a big gap between the sides and Leitrim if anything are getting worse year-on-year, nevermind the fact their size and resources means they're rarely competitive to begin with. Leitrim are as game and as passionate a county as I know but that's where it ends.

I get Galway's supporters don't want to sound cocky by saying they'll probably have Leitrim done and dusted in 35-40 minutes at most but there's no reason for anyone else to be wary - Leitrim are very unlikely to be competitive with Galway this year.

If Galway have much trouble against Leitirm you'd have to fear for them against Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Which is pretty irrelavnt to this game too. It's all anecdotes that ignore where the two teams are at today in May 2015, there is a big gap between the sides and Leitrim if anything are getting worse year-on-year, nevermind the fact their size and resources means they're rarely competitive to begin with. Leitrim are as game and as passionate a county as I know but that's where it ends.

I get Galway's supporters don't want to sound cocky by saying they'll probably have Leitrim done and dusted in 35-40 minutes at most but there's no reason for anyone else to be wary - Leitrim are very unlikely to be competitive with Galway this year.

If Galway have much trouble against Leitirm you'd have to fear for them against Mayo.

I think you are spot on Syferus.
    If Galway have any ambition about winning Connacht then they should be putting the likes if Leitrim away easy and quickly.

None of this "they could do with a test" BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

don't think i will be over at half time with it been in Carrick. but Galway will have the firepower to pull through at the end.

Just seen the Leitrim team selected. Five players making their championship debuts some of which marking key Galway forwards. Could be serious trimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well the game wasn't over at half time and if Leitrim had taken their goal chances they would be leading at the break. Comfortable win in the end as expected for Galway but I presume a few posters above will now be giving Galway little or no chance of beating Mayo?

Well the game wasn't over at half time and if Leitrim had taken their goal chances they would be leading at the break. Comfortable win in the end as expected for Galway but I presume a few posters above will now be giving Galway little or no chance of beating Mayo?

Galway were four up against the wind at the half, and were seven up at one point. Leitrim scored two points in the final 35 minutes. That match was well over when a team is that far behind with the wind. Very comfortable for Galway.

Did you listen in or just read it on Twitter, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Really awful game to watch. The ref was fairly generous to Leitrim but cursed but sides constantly for fouling opposing players when competing for the ball in the air. Killed any little momentum the match had going for it.

Leitrim started off really well and showed a lot of weakness in the midfield and FBline throughout the game. Duane was excellent and GO'D was pretty good too and scored a nice point. Conroy and FOC are a poor pairing. Huge gaps are left in the centre when they both go attacking whereas O'Curraoin was the more defensive of the Flynn pairing. O'Donoghue was dodgy. Lundy seems to have lost a lot of momentum from last year and the club campaign. Not the free-runner he was last season.

Dunno who won MOTM but presume Comer. He was good when he was given any sort of decent passes.

Fairly meh game with the usual worrying spots for the upcoming Mayo game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Apart from Galway scoring a few second half goals the game went as i expected and i got the winning margin spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Meh sums it up well. Not sure what I was expecting really. A little more sharpness and quality maybe. They were well on top, and once they got the marking sorted after 15 mins, it was comfortable. Just a bit of a nothing championship game really. The dead pitch and bit of gresiness didn't help things.

Both corner backs played well, half back line was mediocre as was o'currain at midfield. Conroy does his share of stupid things, but he's about the best player we have and it showed at times. I'd move him back to the forwards and let him roam. Not dominant enough from kick outs. Half forward line was mediocre again, Lundy industrious as usual but lacking quality. The only player to spark was Comer, on the brief times they got him the ball. A bit of a pit bull with pace, his goal was brilliant forward play. All in all I think about 4 players played well, which tells you how poor Leitrim were given that we won by 8. Ref was atrocious, as in scandalously bad as were the linesman. Blantant late belts unpunished, whereas in open play if you touched a man it was a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Let us never speak of that game again.

Just on the way back.

On the MOTM while it should have been Comer I think they announced Conroy at the end which is baffling if so.

I don't like the mental side of his game.
    He moves the ball too slow and often takes awful options.
    He attempted 3/4 40yard cross field kick passes which are pointless as the ball doesn't get advanced and will lead to a score against if intercepted which his first was when he had two men on down the wing.
    He seems to be a dominant personality as often quicker players gave it to him on the counter when he wouldn't be touching it in that situation.

Denvir played well at HB, best of the line IMO.

Wind ruined the game really and seemed to die a bit when Galway had it.

Not sure has he grown but Flynn is the same size as KW who most would have considered to be a tall midfielder.

Wouldn't read too much into the margins as the game just had a flat feel from start to finish.. Same as the weather in it.
    Crowd only really got involved for a tiny period in the second half.
    Would expect a more furnished performance in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Flynns been about 6'5 for a while know. Delicate to know what to do, beef him up a bit and possibly blunt his pace and agility? He's still growing into his big frame by the looks of things. Two players who didn't get a run out at all were Varley and Bradshaw. Two players who would have been said to guaranteed starters earlier in the year. I wonder is they're in the doghouse for something. Disappointed by O'Griofa, but I suppose you can forgive a newcomer the odd bad game. Sweeney at cb is a great bitta stuff, bar one unlucky slip. Duane showing again that he's a very good footballer. Id still fear him on a speedy forward but he's intelligent and calming back there

Galway were four up against the wind at the half, and were seven up at one point. Leitrim scored two points in the final 35 minutes. That match was well over when a team is that far behind with the wind. Very comfortable for Galway.

Did you listen in or just read it on Twitter, I wonder?

I was at the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭threeball

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Flynns been about 6'5 for a while know. Delicate to know what to do, beef him up a bit and possibly blunt his pace and agility? He's still growing into his big frame by the looks of things. Two players who didn't get a run out at all were Varley and Bradshaw. Two players who would have been said to guaranteed starters earlier in the year. I wonder is they're in the doghouse for something. Disappointed by O'Griofa, but I suppose you can forgive a newcomer the odd bad game. Sweeney at cb is a great bitta stuff, bar one unlucky slip. Duane showing again that he's a very good footballer. Id still fear him on a speedy forward but he's intelligent and calming back there

RE: Flynn.You don't need to beef a player up in order to make him considerably stronger. Trained correctly players can add 25% to their explosive power when they get their current muscle mass working 100% for them. Both our midfielders need this type of training.

Two players who didn't get a run out at all were Varley and Bradshaw. Two players who would have been said to guaranteed starters earlier in the year.

Not sure if you meant that tongue in cheek(given the time they played which effectively was nothing) or if you listened in the radio and it wasn't picked up on but both came in together in injury time.

One thing that can't really be argued at the minute is our options.
    We have 6/7 lads who in any given day could start.

Would also love another look at the square ball goal.
    I don't think it was one.
    A free that came up short, the ball went across the square and Cummins didn't exactly meet it in there as it arrived.

I was at the game.

Pretty amazing you missed the wind so, or were you trying your best to take cheap shots?

Pretty amazing you missed the wind so, or were you trying your best to take cheap shots?
    The wind hadn't a big influence on game as some social media sights or radio coverage makes you think. Galway scored more against than with wind. Leitrim struggled for scores throughout the game but created enough changes to make it a closer game.

Not sure if you meant that tongue in cheek(given the time they played which effectively was nothing) or if you listened in the radio and it wasn't picked up on but both came in together in injury time.

One thing that can't really be argued at the minute is our options.
    We have 6/7 lads who in any given day could start.

Would also love another look at the square ball goal.
    I don't think it was one.
    A free that came up short, the ball went across the square and Cummins didn't exactly meet it in there as it arrived.

No was at the game, didnt notice they came on atal. Thought our quota of suns were used in Sweeney, Flynn, Adrain Varley, Kyne. If there's only 5 subs then how did both Paul Varley and Bradshaw get on? Would like to see square ball again too.

Re Wind: It was at best negligible imo. Didnt stop Conroy with a 35 yard free in the first half, clearing the crossbar with 20 yards to spare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

No was at the game, didnt notice they came on atal. Thought our quota of suns were used in Sweeney, Flynn, Adrain Varley, Kyne. If there's only 5 subs then how did both Paul Varley and Bradshaw get on? Would like to see square ball again too.

Re Wind: It was at best negligible imo. Didnt stop Conroy with a 35 yard free in the first half, clearing the crossbar with 20 yards to spare

It was a square ball, marginally, he had half his left foot just inside the square. Had a good view behind the goals, tbh could have let it go but I think the ref gave Leitrim a good helping hand today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Funny how everyone seems to see the game differently; thought Conroy was our best player overall, particularly in the first half when he linked up well with the HB line and the forwards and created a lot of the play - he does have a bad propensity for cross-field passing which will crucify Galway against a better, stronger team, which they will all be from now on. Also thought Denvir was defensively very poor, again in the first half his tracking back was non-existent. GO'D, often maligned by me and others, had one of his better games. O'Donohoe in goal was good and saved what he had to; FB line weren't really tested, though Sweeney's lack of pace, like his brother's, is a worry. O'Curraoin was rather subdued but he and Conroy are generally a good duo; think Flynn will come into it v Mayo, to power things up a bit, maybe at 10 or 12. Lundy will have better days, and does have the class, as his club displays have proved. Shane Walsh you would hope will up it too. Sice as usual had the good and the bad. Comer is a great nearly old-fashioned FF, powering through with defenders pulling off him, and got a few hefty knocks yesterday for his troubles. O'Griofa will get better hopefully; wee Danny wasn't at his worst yesterday, and was getting into it more when subbed; would still like to see Ian Burke get a run though.

Most fans yesterday were disappointed that Galway's forwards didn't really open up like their ability suggests they can. They didn't click as a division, which is the area where most improvement is required. Referee also spoiled the match through constant whistling for innocuous challenges, when the smarter thing would be to let the play develop more; it didn't suit both sides. Hopefully we won't see him again.

Yesterday's display won't beat Mayo and Tomas O'Se was correct when he said that they won't be able to match Mayo physically. But every game is different and any games are better than 10 weeks of idleness.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Funny how everyone seems to see the game differently; thought Conroy was our best player overall, particularly in the first half when he linked up well with the HB line and the forwards and created a lot of the play - he does have a bad propensity for cross-field passing which will crucify Galway against a better, stronger team, which they will all be from now on. Also thought Denvir was defensively very poor, again in the first half his tracking back was non-existent. GO'D, often maligned by me and others, had one of his better games. O'Donohoe in goal was good and saved what he had to; FB line weren't really tested, though Sweeney's lack of pace, like his brother's, is a worry. O'Curraoin was rather subdued but he and Conroy are generally a good duo; think Flynn will come into it v Mayo, to power things up a bit, maybe at 10 or 12. Lundy will have better days, and does have the class, as his club displays have proved. Shane Walsh you would hope will up it too. Sice as usual had the good and the bad. Comer is a great nearly old-fashioned FF, powering through with defenders pulling off him, and got a few hefty knocks yesterday for his troubles. O'Griofa will get better hopefully; wee Danny wasn't at his worst yesterday, and was getting into it more when subbed; would still like to see Ian Burke get a run though.

Most fans yesterday were disappointed that Galway's forwards didn't really open up like their ability suggests they can. They didn't click as a division, which is the area where most improvement is required. Referee also spoiled the match through constant whistling for innocuous challenges, when the smarter thing would be to let the play develop more; it didn't suit both sides. Hopefully we won't see him again.

Yesterday's display won't beat Mayo and Tomas O'Se was correct when he said that they won't be able to match Mayo physically. But every game is different and any games are better than 10 weeks of idleness.

I don't think Conroy was atrocious or anything just wasn't a man of the match performance and his general decision making is rather poor.
    At one point he tried to take a score WAY out in the right corner which was blocked.
    A real 1% possibility shot.

My main issue with him yesterday wasn't even related to him but players like Lundy giving him the ball on a counter when he moves the ball far too slow.
    It's like he has a dominant personality so players are reflecting that with giving him unnecessary touches.

I wouldn't take much notice of O'Se's comment, this isn't AFL/Rugby.
    You can't touch a player in GAA without giving a free away so not sure why physicality matters.
    What does matter is toughness.. Willing to take the hit for the free, but you can be any size for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

I don't think Conroy was atrocious or anything just wasn't a man of the match performance and his general decision making is rather poor.
    At one point he tried to take a score WAY out in the right corner which was blocked.
    A real 1% possibility shot.

My main issue with him yesterday wasn't even related to him but players like Lundy giving him the ball on a counter when he moves the ball far too slow.
    It's like he has a dominant personality so players are reflecting that with giving him unnecessary touches.

I wouldn't take much notice of O'Se's comment, this isn't AFL/Rugby.
    You can't touch a player in GAA without giving a free away so not sure why physicality matters.
    What does matter is toughness.. Willing to take the hit for the free, but you can be any size for that.

Galway do tend to slow it up a bit in spots; they noticeably prospered (and scored) in the second half when the ball was kicked in sooner to the FF line.

Physicality generally = toughness; it matters under a dropping ball or a 50/50 challenge for possession.

Management kept the players for an hour in the dressing room afterwards. Hope it was for a reasoned discussion rather than a haranguing; any Galway faults yesterday could just as easily be laid at their door.

Advertisement