Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with Housemate - HELP!

Options
  • 13-05-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I'm desperately needing some advice and I hope you can help. I've been renting a house for around 2 years now with 3 other people without an agreement with the landlord. I am the only one who deals with the landlord now and we are thinking of bringing in a contract.

Earlier this year 2 people moved out and we got 2 new people in.
    In the last few weeks it has become apparent that one of the new housemates has no respect at all for the rest of us (being really loud around the house, not tidying up after themselves or cleaning, not flushing the toilet!, only watching what they want to watch on TV, leaving all the lights on, heating on and immersion on even when not in house, inviting friends over to stay in our living room without letting us know - awkward). They have also been fairly slow about paying bills but they do pay them. They seem to take over the house and while they seem decent they are clearly oblivious even though we have mentioned some of these items to them already, it still continues.

Today I got a call from a neighbour while in work to say that the front door was wide open. I rushed back to the house to find that the same housemate had forgot to close the door while they had gone to do a shop.

In the last week one of my other housemates has come to me to say that they just can't cope with it anymore and believe that this housemate is also using their bathroom stuff, food and not replacing it or saying they are using it (I know this cannot be proven).

Had anyone any experience with this and how would we go about dealing with it? Its clear that they are not going to change and if it continues I'd love to just kick them out as it will end up affecting the rest of the house as it is starting to, but whats the reasonable way to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Kick them out or move out.

Tell them you care all leaving in a month as all is selling. Conveniently get an extra month off the all as you couldn't find somewhere else but only after problem person decks off.

That or just tell them OUT!

Hurt their feelings. Sound like they are being a prick anyway.

Last option is move. But why should you.

Alt. Pass billing on to them. See how quick they are to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adales

I'm just wondering is there any legal issues with kicking them out like that, do they have any entitlement?

Should I inform the landlord? I certainly won't be leaving and I don't want two of the others to go either but I can see it happening if this continues.

I've started putting down major items like leaving the door open in a log just to keep a record. I think faking a move out would be difficult and I'm sure they'll want the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

adales wrote: »
    I'm just wondering is there any legal issues with kicking them out like that, do they have any entitlement?

Should I inform the landlord? I certainly won't be leaving and I don't want two of the others to go either but I can see it happening if this continues.

I've started putting down major items like leaving the door open in a log just to keep a record. I think faking a move out would be difficult and I'm sure they'll want the deposit back.

Ideally, you should let the landlord do the kicking out. There's no contract, this guy is there only a short time so there's no rights in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Ideally, you should let the landlord do the kicking out. There's no contract, this guy is there only a short time so there's no rights in place.

He will also be too lazy to do anything. All blow. No show. Kick him to the curb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

He will also be too lazy to do anything. All blow. No show. Kick him to the curb.

You got the person in, you get them out. Be an adult. The landlord is getting his rent so he doesn't have any problem.

One thing you need to learn in life, is that someone like this is taking you for a ride. They are not "decent"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There are two ways this can go, number one is you get the landlord to sort this in which case this person is a tenant with all the associated rights.

The other option is that you accept that you sublet the room to him and as such he is living with his landlord so is a licensee with very few rights and can be kicked out on the street with belongings with only minimal notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

You have to be very careful dealing with this, and you better address it within 6 months of their tenancy or it will be even more difficult to get rid of them. Keep a diary of events. What is your reason for asking him to leave? decide what that is as you could be questioned when he will contact Threshold for advice, and they will take his side, as you did n't have any written agreement. They will probably contact you taking his side,as I'm sure he'll go to them, as I doubt he will like being requested to leave.
    You can try to get information from Threshold, but remember, they are for the tennants. This guy is a tennant 'Licencee', and you are a 'Tennant, acting Landlord'. Yes, I know you have a landlord, that's the way it works. Believe me, I have lived through several of these nightmares over a period of 7 years. A Licencee starts to have rights after 6 months. You have to type a letter saying why he must leave, and you give him a month's notice to vacate, written clearly. You can find samples of these letters online. Always have a written agreement, and house rules for first tennants. That is your protection. Offer 6 months, then if it works out, it can be extended. This guy is so happy, he found somewhere to live with no rules or regulations. Familiarise yourself with the list of anti-social behaviour, as, if you give him eviction letter, and there is door slamming or calling expletives, anything classed as anti- social, you can give a further letter stating that because of said A/S behaviour, you give one week's notice.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adales

Thanks everyone for the replies. As none of us have a written agreement with the landlord and he never signed anything then I'm not sure if it works in our favour on this one or not. The 6 months is a concern because that is approaching quick, if nothing was signed at all are there still rights even if we give 30 days notice?

Should I contact the landlord and with the agreement of all of us write the letter stating that fact? The other thing is what happens to the security deposit? Is it given back as normal?

I just got back to the house to find tea towels left outside the living room window facing onto our street as if we didn't have anywhere else to dry them. I can feel the whole thing is going to spiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

This guy sounds like a nightmare. Maybe sit him down and explain it isn't working out and it would be better if he just left of his own accord?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

adales wrote: »
    I am the only one who deals with the landlord now
    Does the problem person pay you the rent? If yes, it seems you are subletting them the room, and as such, they are a licensee. And you can give a licensee whatever notice you deem fit.

Give him a weeks notice, and point it out to him that should he bring anyone over during that week, it'll shorten to 12 hours notice. Where he's moving to next is not your problem, and he should have thought about that before he started acting like an idiot.

And oh, it goes without saying that you and the other housemates needs to hide/secure any valuables, in case the problem tenant does a Houdini in the middle of the night with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Kick him/her out. Give them a couple weeks to find a new place. But they will of course need to get their deposit back provided they are up to date will all bills and have not damaged anything.

Advertisement