Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any hope?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, efibre is currently being rolled out in my area this month (if you can trust the rollout map), using google maps I've found that my home is 3.5km from the cabinet (by road, 3km as the crow flies) having read other people's posts here I've learned that anything over 1.5km means you're out of the running, this is hugely disappointing as I've been watching that rollout map for well over a year now. Currently my connection is 5mb but my main concern, and reason for wanting fibre, is the 0.3mb upload speed which is crippling. If my line can handle 5mb down, then can't it handle 5 up?

In short, I'm probably not going to get efibre but is there any hope of a boost in upload speed as a consolation? 

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hello, efibre is currently being rolled out in my area this month (if you can trust the rollout map), using google maps I've found that my home is 3.5km from the cabinet (by road, 3km as the crow flies) having read other people's posts here I've learned that anything over 1.5km means you're out of the running, this is hugely disappointing as I've been watching that rollout map for well over a year now. Currently my connection is 5mb but my main concern, and reason for wanting fibre, is the 0.3mb upload speed which is crippling. If my line can handle 5mb down, then can't it handle 5 up?

In short, I'm probably not going to get efibre but is there any hope of a boost in upload speed as a consolation? 

Thanks for reading.
    Hi liquidsnake

I'm genuinely sorry to confirm 2km is the max distance a line can be from a cabinet to avail of efibre - I can understand d how disappointing this news is.

I'm also sorry to confirm that upload speed will always be fractional in comparison as download speeds - this is industry standard - ultimately 'downstream' data is given priority as most of users are more concerned with how quickly we can download stuff than how long it takes us to upload files and specific upload caps are put on broadband subscriptions at a deeper Network level beyond control/adjustment.

From the speeds you have posted above it looks like you are on the package which offers up to 384Kbps but if you would like to PM me your land line number I'll see if there is an alternative package which your line may qualify for.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement