Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exracting files from android CWM backup

Options
  • 13-05-2015 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Im trying to extract files from an android backup done via Clockworkmod.

I have the backup files on my laptop.

I've googled this but all I can see is stuff relating to .adb files which I don't have.

The list of files I have is as followes:

.android_secure.vfat.tar
    .android_secure.vfat.tar.a
    boot.img
    data.ext4.tar
    data.ext4.tar.a
    recovery.img
    system.ext4.tar
    system.ext4.tar.a

all inside a folder

The tar files actually are empty but the .tar.a files are not and the .img files are the smallest.

The last file is the biggest at 700MB

I have tried renaming the tar.a file to .tar and looked at them on linux but there is nothing of value in them I want. I am looking to recover photos I deleted accidentally. Im not even sure If android lolipop backs up that kind of data. When I did the backup some months back in the recovery mode on my phone I wasn't given a choice of what to backup so I assume it did everything.

I am unable to open the .img files. They don't appear to be recognised by any disk imageing utility tried.

Other than restoring the backup on the phone itself (which I'd rather not do if it can be avoided) I am out of options.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

A nandroid backup only backs up the system itself; in particular the boot, data, and system partitions. Your photos are on a separate user partition or SD card. Since this is the partition which stores the nandroid backups themselves, it isn't backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Ok I followed the instructions and there is no photos or personal data/media to be found. Is ther anything in the .img files to be had and if so how can it be extracted?

What about undeleting files from a TF card? Is that possible/is there a utility to do it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Photorec

Advertisement