Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I fecked my banana skin into the river.

• 13-05-2015 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

Last weekend I was in town (not Dublin) with a friend, and on finishing the banana that I had so gleefully found on the backseat of the car moments before, I proceeded to carelessly feck the banana skin (no stickers, I checked) into a nearby fast-flowing river.
    Well. My friend was horrified. Apparantly that's littering. I thought I was adding compost to the sea. Same as when I'm cycling and feck skins into hedges (well in off the road), and same thing with orange peels, apple butts when I'm driving. I'm in the country, and it's not like I scatther them all over the road...

It's been bothering me since. Am I a bad person?

The OP threw a banana skin in a fast flowing river should she... 69 votes

feel really bad because that's littering and it's not nice
    0%
    not feel a bit bad because nature
    44%
    toxofenglanderTristramjohnpRiddle101Carlos OrangejosipR.D. aka MR.DTG860gramarkingcobraSeanachaiMillFieldpippin04Belle E. Flopsdonegal.Jon_459mejulie805RothkoShellakybooky 31 votes
    have thrown her friend in the river
    55%
    lintdrummerglynfjackofalltradesRoanmoreLordSutch5uspectMenaSchismAngryHippieView Profilebntdeodub[Deleted User]bulleyespablo128ScottStormjake is rightMountainsandh[Deleted User]stampydmonkey 38 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

One step down from Hitler OP, one step down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Nope. You buddy is a ballbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

IP address noted and reported to department of environment

It is of course littering. It's just rots quicker than non organic matter.

The amount of outdoor places in Ireland, trails, summits etc. littered with banana skins and apple cores by people who think that somehow others want to see rotting banana skins and apple cores...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

What's an "apple butt"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah that's littering alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It depends on the river. If said river was in Irelands finest county then it is littering and you should be tarred naked at the nearest lamppost.
    If it was anywhere else then said banana skin probably improved the look of the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

What's an "apple butt"?
    A lady with something to brag about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You'll definitely be chased down for this one OP and face a maximum fine of €2,500 or 6 months in prison.

however, you can always a peal...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

this should set you right
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland

as for asking AH are you bad ,by virtue of the fact that you have posted in here says you signed a pledge with the darkside

close thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

whiskeyman wrote: »
    You'll definitely be chased down for this one OP and face a maximum fine of €2,500 or 6 months in prison.

however, you can always a peal...

Get the **** out of here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

What's an "apple butt"?
    See Georgia Salpa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you can't see it then its no problem imho. If someone has a problem with an apple butt in a hedge, they need to be slapped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's essentially right-on littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's an "apple butt"?

It's what's left after you smoke an apple.

How many banana peels did you throw in the river OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

How many banana peels did you throw in the river OP?

Two.
    Two banana skins. The second careless flinging of the banana skin was to show that it was in fact, ok to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I recycle my banana skins.

Cattle love banana skins., potato peels, skins of oranges and so on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Of course it's littering, have you ever seen a banana tree growing in a river?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

libelula wrote: »
    Two.
    Two banana skins. The second careless flinging of the banana skin was to show that it was in fact, ok to do so.

It does sound like the second banana skin flinging was a provocation to your dear friend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I took a sh!t in the river the other day

Don´t mind them OP it´s not littering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

What's an "apple butt"?

Check out Kim Karsashian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I would be of the opinion that anything organic like a banana skin, orange peel, or apple/pear core is fair game,

I still wouldn't blatantly throw it on a street or road, but would aim for a hedge along a road or something!

I would also try and do it discreetly (so if there was a car behind me, I wouldn't do it), to not give off the impression that I was a litter bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's bio degradable anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

RobertKK wrote: »
    I recycle my banana skins.

Cattle love banana skins., potato peels, skins of oranges and so on...

Mixed in with a bit of hemlock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah but it's still going to stay there for about two years degrading away.

That's two years worth of litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Two.

Not fours skins then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Plastics can be biodegradable

it just might take hundreds/thousands of years to biodegrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

What county was it in?

• Advertisement

Reiver wrote: »
    What county was it in?

A guard wouldn't ask me that ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

I once threw my foreskin into a river.

kfallon wrote: »
    One step down from Hitler OP, one step down.....

Oh worse than Hitler, along with not playing jungle music at 3 in the morning, you wouldnt find Hitler throwing banana skins into a river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Any skins or fruit cores thrown at the side of the road or a hedge would probably be eaten by rats and foxes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

dan1895 wrote: »
    Not fours skins then?

The Two Ronnies greatest lost sketch.

jungleman wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Any skins or fruit cores thrown at the side of the road or a hedge would probably be eaten by rats and foxes anyway.

Banana skins on mountain tops seem to be pretty immune to foxes. Places like the top of Lug, Brandon, Carrauntoohil...banana skins everywhere by people who will go up there once and never go back and think it's fine to fling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

What's an "apple butt"?

http://marcos.kirsch.mx/2011/09/25/tech-tattoos/apple_tattoo_gl4ipad/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Banana skins on mountain tops seem to be pretty immune to foxes. Places like the top of Lug, Brandon, Carrauntoohil...banana skins everywhere by people who will go up there once and never go back and think it's fine to fling it.

ah, see foxes only like Fyffes bananas. They wouldn't go near the Del Monte ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

It's littering. They take time to breakdown. And I'm sure other people who use those roads or paths don't want to be looking at your decomposing fruits. Bring a plastic bag with you and put it in a compost bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

The amount of outdoor places in Ireland, trails, summits etc. littered with banana skins

Sounds like the start of a slippery slope to me.

Well no because he'd have caught you red handed. Red. Handed.

No shame. No shame at all at all. What if you had hit an innocent canoeist? Well? Well?

• Advertisement

What an idiotic comment. We are talking about natural waste that will decompose naturally, or else be quickly eaten by birds or other wildlife. The way some people are going on here, you would swear its battery acid.

Well no because he'd have caught you red handed. Red. Handed.

No shame. No shame at all at all. What if you had hit an innocent canoeist? Well? Well?

Oh god that'd be awful funny :pac:
    After I felt bad and apologised profusely of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Last weekend I was in town (not Dublin)...

Does not compute...

What an idiotic comment. We are talking about natural waste that will decompose naturally, or else be quickly eaten by birds or other wildlife. The way some people are going on here, you would swear its battery acid.

The only people who think it idiotic are people who don't use our great outdoors.

If you enjoyed facilities like our mountains or National Parks, you'd know about day trippers with their ignorance of the very very basic rule, leave nothing behind. What's so complex or hard to follow about that simply courtesy? You're on someone else's land, a modicum of respect is hardly too much to hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

It's not really the same but it was raining the the other night at 5am and when I was coming from a houseparty to go into McDonald's (we don't usually get that crap, it was just on the way home and we were shtarvin!). Moments later, as myself and my boyfriend queued, a really tall, smelly, weird guy came up and said "you threw this on the ground" handing me back a receipt which must have fallen out of my pocket. I said "It's raining outside and paper is biodegradable, and I didn't intentionally throw anything on the ground". He shouted at me "YOU THREW THAT ON THE GROUND OUTSIDE" and stormed off. Caaant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

This is the type of gobshíttery that is so prevalent amongst Paddy Pint Drinker and Mary Merlot. It’s this type of ‘let someone else clean it up’ attitude that screams bad breeding and a complete lack of any sort of civic pride.

You visit an area of natural beauty and see refuse sacks thrown in ditches. You see red-faced hicks openly breaking the law and destroying ecologically precious bogland because they think they have some sort of divine birth right to cut that turf. Usually some gibberish about how their father and his father before him had cut turf from the same bank. You go to a concert and see drunken idiots throw plastic pint glasses on the ground without a care in the world. You see heaps of cigarette butts thrown outside the doors of pubs by people who don’t even have the manners to put the cigarette out before they throw it on the ground.

My girlfriend was shocked the first time I brought her to Ireland for a visit.

“Aongus, why is there so much rubbish and dirt around the place?” she asked. “Do you not care about your country”.

“It’s because Ireland is full of the Irish and not the Germans” I replied.

Harsh words, but true words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

“It’s because Ireland is full of the Irish and not the Germans” I replied.

Harsh words, but true words.

As a fellow continental this is unfortunately true. If you were in the habit of littering over here you'd be stopped in the street by anybody and told to pick it up. If it was a cop you'd get a fine. Drives me nuts when a guy/gal drops a mars bar wrapper BESIDE a bin. Putting **** in a bin is as ingrained in me as closing a door I just came through or turning off the light in a room I just left. As regards the banana peel specifically, If you drop it in the middle of a street then thats ****ty while as if you throw it into a ditch, thats perfectly fine. AND yes if all 5 or 6 million of us did it it'd be a cluster **** but thats never going to happen. It'll be gone in a week. The mice/rats/soil will love you for it.

The only people who think it idiotic are people who don't use our great outdoors.

If you enjoyed facilities like our mountains or National Parks, you'd know about day trippers with their ignorance of the very very basic rule, leave nothing behind. What's so complex or hard to follow about that simply courtesy? You're on someone else's land, a modicum of respect is hardly too much to hope for.

Its biodegradable. And I frequently climb and hike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

After I felt bad and apologised profusely of course.

All you can really do is just a peel to their sense of forgiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I suppose you WOULD know after committing such a heinous crime. Tut tut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement